Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Commander - Drones and Targeting array - any good?
Old 03 Apr 2007, 17:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Commander - Drones and Targeting array - any good?

My current Commander is a Shas'el with - Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Shield Generator, and hard wired - target lock, multi tracker and blacksun filter.

I just read the Tau FAQ, and found out that the Commander can take two drones and still count as an independant character.

So I was thinking of adding an h/w drone controller, a shield drone, and marker drone, and then dropping the shield generator in favor of another option.

Would it make more sense to take a targeting array, and not a marker drone? Maybe a gun drone and shield drone?

Kazadvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2007, 17:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Commander - Drones and Targeting array - any good?

What FAQ is this? The current FAQ does not say that a Character who takes Drones still counts as an IC, it just says he may still join/leave units like an IC, not that he retains the other rules of an IC. It also specifically says he and his drones count as seperate units in close combat, which means they count as one unit all other times and not as an Independant Character.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2007, 17:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Cr*p, my mistake then - I read too much into the FAQ, or didn't read enough. I guess it was just too good to be true. I had assumed that the Commander + drones was not an independant character - which made me unwilling to use the Drones. When I read the FAQ, I must have seen what I wanted to see.

But that issue aside - is it a good idea to take drones - or would it be better to retain the full independant characters status?

And is the Shield Generator a good bet, or is it enough that the Commander can avoid being targeted by virtue of being an independant character?

Kazadvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2007, 18:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

I would personally prefer to retain IC status, unless you're going to be getting within 12" at the end of your movement(ie tank-busting with the Fusion Blaster). And then, I'd give him Shield Drones as well as a Shield Generator and Stims(Increase the wounds you'll have to take on average to 7 IIRC with a Shas'O.).
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2007, 18:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Either the SG or the SD's is a good bet. If you take the dreons, you'll get extra protection. But are open to be shot up. But then again, once those dreons die, you'll have a lone IC again, so he'll be safe for the most part. Of course, IC protection dosen't always last, a quick opponent can easily move up close to your IC, etc. So don't bank on the IC status to protect him. Also, it dosen't matter if he retains his IC status or not. With the drones, he becomes an IC in a unit, which is always targetable. IC status only helps when an IC is alone.