Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Aun'la's new v4 friendly list
Closed Thread
Old 11 Feb 2005, 00:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Aun'la's new v4 friendly list

First off: I'm keeping my Ethereal, Dizz! (lol)

Let me know what you folks think:

HQ:
Aun'la (Ethereal)

Shas'el Kauyon Run'al Monat
•*T/L Fusion balster
•*Missile pod
•*H/W Blacksun filter
•*H/W Controler & 2x Shield Drones

ELITES
(6) XV15 Squad
•*Bonded

TROOPS
(12) Fire Warriors
•*Photon Grenades
•*Bonded
•*Devilfish Transport
-- Targeting array, Flechette discharger, Decoy launcher, Multi-tracker

(12) Fire Warriors
•*Photon Grenades
•*Bonded
•*Devilfish Transport
-- Targeting array, Flechette discharger, Decoy launcher, Multi-tracker

(11) Kroot Carnivores

(11) Kroot Carnivores

(10) Kroot Carnivores

FAST ATTACK
(8) Kroothounds (to smaller Carnivore unit)

(8) Pathfinders
•*Photon Grenades
•*Team leader (for the LD bump to help with panic and pinning tests)
•*2x Rail rifles with experimental H/W Target Lock

(8) Gun drones

HEAVY
Hammerhead
•*Railgun, SMS
-- Multi-tracker, 1x Seeker Missile, Blacksun Filter, Target lock, Disruption pod, Decoy launcher

Hammerhead
•*Railgun, SMS
-- Multi-tracker, 1x Seeker Missile, Blacksun Filter, Target lock, Disruption pod, Decoy launcher

TACTICS: The main tactic here is to use a FOF as back up if I'm facing a small, compact foe or one with an obvious weak front somewhere. The Kroot offer a fixed position shooting base, but the smaller unti ends up being larger with the addition of the 8 Kroothounds. This unit will support an FOF where necessary as a counter assault or assault deterant and alternately draw fire, losing hounds first. Other Kroot take and hold ground and stay put as pill-box fire groups. The Monat can flank up or hang back awaiting an oppotinuty. Alternatively he can Deep Strike and be in better initial range for the FB shots. Gundrones are doing waht they do best - harrass. Pathfinders are setting up wide flank, typically on a weak side and disembarking after at least 2 full moves (the zero move plus another in turn one at least). This affords them snipe position and ML positions to mark for maximum number of units. Ideally, they can ML for the XV15s and activate to hit all BCs on 2+ raining nasty fire as the XV15s pop back and forth. The one weakness is the Ethereal who really jsut has to hide and stay hidden (lol). Other than that, the Hammerheads pound away, taking out as much as possible. Alternatively, for the same points I can swap for an Ion Cannon on one.
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 11 Feb 2005, 00:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer
Default Re: Aun'la's new v4 friendly list

meh. keep the etheral, its your funeral, you dont even have any protective FW squads ....... how do youget out of that? you even admit the etheral is a weakness :P

Shas'el Kauyon Run'al Monat
• T/L Fusion balster
• Missile pod
• H/W Blacksun filter
• H/W Controler & 2x Shield Drones
worst crisis combo ever. stick to fireknife, nice and cheap and effective (why would you TL on an 'El?)

(11) Kroot Carnivores

(11) Kroot Carnivores

(10) Kroot Carnivores

small kroot unts are horrible, consolidate 2 into one and scrounge some points to fill the other one.

pathfinders and drones just arent worth it....... end.

quite a few wierd coices there........just unfathomably wierd.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 11 Feb 2005, 01:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The only thing I might drop fromthe Monat is the drones, but those are there in case I Deep Strike and get charged. It'll last that much longer tiying up at least one squad that much longer. The T/L one the 'El is (A) because it isn't on an 'O and (B) because it assures a hit. Two 66% chances to get o a single hit are better than none.

I also explained the Kroot squads, but since you aren't offering alternatives and jsut list bashing I'll jsut take you advice with a grain of salt and consider it in the back of my mind. I would like the Kroot squads bigger (17 works best for morale reasons I've found) but they're there for the same reasons as the Drones, but in a capacity of getting into cover and staying put to shoot. That's all. I'f I can infiltratte I'll have pockets of annoying shooting and I can place the Kroot so that they make delictible assault targets and then blow the buggers away that try. They're bait, plain and simple.

I can only say that if you feel Pathfinders aren't worth it then you've not used them to effect before. I love them now that Rail rifles are an option.

Drone squads are one of the best decoy/harassment units in the game. Are you sure you play a Tau army?

Old 11 Feb 2005, 03:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

An ethereal is fine, but I'd have to go with dizzy on a few things; one, the ethereal cannot afford to be alone... he needs fw friends to act as fearless meatshields for him, or he's toast.

If you want to protect your commander, put him in a squad with 2 other Shas'ui crisis, and put the third one as a loner and deep strike him instead. OR, put the Shas'el in a squad of 8 drones. That way, the enemy has to eat through 8 wounds before targeting your commander.

And it sounds like you know how to use your kroot already, but they just MIGHT do better in bigger squads, as they would look to be juicier bait. If they never take any fire, its non-issue.

You are absolutely right about the drones. My Imperial Gaurd friend killed a fish and my 2 drones lived. They were ignored because they couldn't "do anything", but managed to get behind his demolisher, glance and kill it. He never stops targeting anything with drones now until they're all dead. ^_^
Besides, they can pop in and out of cover, deep strike, pin units in place, outrun assault troops, damage light vehicles, hit slightly better than bs 3, and make life miserable for the enemy. KEEP THE DRONES (if you know how to use em)

As to pathfinders, use em if you like.... I personally don't but that's me.

AND NICE MOBILITY! ;D Love all that moving that you're capable of.
Old 11 Feb 2005, 04:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

a cheap 'EL is much better if he's going to DS, go MP,FB,MT if you want to DS him, but that 'El just looks horrible.

I did offer alternatives, merge 2 squads and dif some points (the etheral and the 'El upgrades maybe?) and you have 2 nice large beatstick squads capable of becoming a large threat through their bolters or a charge, deterrent or a point squad if you infiltrate them to point terrain.

if you intend to use the kroot and the drones as bait youre not making enough use of your list as you have almost as many decoys as prope squads, I dont like drone squads as the people I play with arent dumb enough to write of units or underestimate them, and for that same reason pathfinders are worthless, they have sniper weapons and heavy weapons yet must take a transport......ok, dumb but also they cost way too much for what they do, the points are better spent on crisis.

and rail rifles arent that great.
go here
Old 11 Feb 2005, 04:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaldun
An ethereal is fine, but I'd have to go with dizzy on a few things; one, the ethereal cannot afford to be alone... he needs fw friends to act as fearless meatshields for him, or he's toast.
Yeah, he kinda worries me, but I figure I also have a creepy little Shas'el and a bunch of lunatic XV15s jacking around, plus a load of other shooting. It's a question of "desire" versus "effort". Does the enemy desire to take out my Ethereal way over here in the back corner of the table? Then he'll ahve to put forth a good bit of effort. (lol) I've played it this way with a much more Kroot heavy list and typically break even or I'm up or down around 100vp. Yeah...I make it hard on myself, but then where's the challenge? (hehe)

Quote:
If you want to protect your commander, put him in a squad with 2 other Shas'ui crisis, and put the third one as a loner and deep strike him instead.* OR, put the Shas'el in a squad of 8 drones.* That way, the enemy has to eat through 8 wounds before targeting your commander.
I personally think Crisis suits are a crutch, They come with plenty of neat guns so you don't have to use tactics, just good manuvering. Plus, I really like the idea of having this commando crisis suit, essentially unsupported, running assassination missions. I'm thinking of a FB, Flamer, SheildGen to be even more streamlined, and will probably go that route. However, you will notice that I also have a Drone squad, 8 large...hmmm...

Quote:
And it sounds like you know how to use your kroot already, but they just MIGHT do better in bigger squads, as they would look to be juicier bait.* If they never take any fire, its non-issue.
Yep. I used to run 2 squads of 12 FCWs and a DF mounted 10 man unit with Carbines (running a sort of primitive FOF, before we could shoot under, to pin units early) along with 3 squads of 15 Kroot and 3 hounds each. Gave people fits. Especially in trees.

Quote:
You are absolutely right about the drones.* My Imperial Gaurd friend killed a fish and my 2 drones lived.* They were ignored because they couldn't "do anything", but managed to get behind his demolisher, glance and kill it.* *He never stops targeting anything with drones now until they're all dead.* *^_^
Besides, they can pop in and out of cover, deep strike, pin units in place, outrun assault troops, damage light vehicles, hit slightly better than bs 3, and make life miserable for the enemy.* KEEP THE DRONES (if you know how to use em)
Quote:
As to pathfinders, use em if you like.... I personally don't but that's me.

AND NICE MOBILITY! ;D* Love all that moving that you're capable of.
And Pathfinders are darn mobile. Playtest a unit sometime. They're expensive because you're essentially getting a 7th FCW unit but with shorter range. However, the addition of a rail rifle or two and it all comes together, especially against marines when you refuse to sink to using Crisis Suits like everyone else and thier Kroothound...

:P

Old 11 Feb 2005, 05:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

ok, how are pathfinders w/ RR mobile? theyre heavy, you cant move and fire :-\

and it sounds like you want a list full of mistakes and bad units just to give yourself a bad army to play with, you should have said that and I could hav hooked you up with a supremely bad list.
go here
Old 11 Feb 2005, 09:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I like the list with a few caveats. It's somewhat similar to the list the JT Scott went 5-0 at Boston's GT with (he finished 3rd overall), so I know it can work although that performance was pre-4th edition. Then again the trade-off (screening vs. more effective FoF) is probably to the tau's advantage. However, he had more FWs and CSs

What I don't like:
1) the lone Ethereal - for all the reasons listed above. I don't see him as that big of a threat given your fairly low # of FWs but having him just hanging out there seems pretty risk. He's a very easy VP target vs. trying to kill a hammerhead.
2) the 'el's configuration - I would agree with Dizzy that the set-up isn't particularly appealing. I'm all for high risk deepstriking but I think you'd be better off with a TL plasma (though TL isn't really needed with an 'el). The missile pod is only -1 ST compared to the blaster and the extra d6 doesn't help unless you are lucky enough to land right on top of the vehicle. The plasma would make him more effective against infantry targets too so he fits your assassin role better IMO. A MT would be a good idea IMO.
3) Photon grenades - I just don't think they're of very much use, especially if you're going to use FoF.
4) Flechette discharger - I love the idea but think this is of limited use on a skimmer. YMMV.
5) the kroot hounds - I think you'd be better off finding some way to get some more FWs in your list. The hounds are useful if you're going into CC but you don't plan on doing that.
6) Experimental target locks with the pathfinders - I love pathfinders (even if they're painfully overpriced) but you're making them even more expensive.
7) All the extra stuff on the hammerheads. I think you could free up some points by dropping some of the extra stuff like the missiles and disruption pods. At the very least, strip off some of the stuff on one of them...

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 11 Feb 2005, 18:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

1) Too bad. (lol) I'm taking him and you can't stop me. Seriously, I think Ethereals haave saved me way too many times to pass up, and a VP give-away he's just not. There's way too much other threat and I'll likely not need to use him anyway. He's insurance.

2) I think I'm starting to come around here purely based on the Plasma AP. I just don't dig that S6 though and would much rather be able to kill Marines with auto-kill.

3) I can see you're point here. If they start to get into assault trouble, the FOF is blown anyway. I can drop those and start trying to come up with a 12 man squad to protect the Aun.

4) Again, insurance, and it's for last ditch efforts and corralling. It's super cheap too, and not in use on every Fish.

5) I think if I lose the Photons then I can lose the hounds too, but this unit is for assault. It's to be a back up for the FOF, as I said. If I lose these hounds, make two larger Carnivore squads...that might feel better. I'll take a look at the points.

6) It's so they can fire separate while the remainder ML for other stuff, particularly the Hammerheads & Seekers or the XV15s.

7) Disruption has saved my neck a lot too. Counting a Missile Launcher as 30" instead has been nice. They have to move up to use it against my tank, but that puts them in fire alley. I'll take a look and see what's pertinent though.

Old 11 Feb 2005, 19:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

lol..right on AunLa...keep that etheral to make DZG mad!!!
Anyways...my only question is why did you put Photon Grenades on your Fire Warriors? If you are going to use FoF then why are you worrying about giving the photons? They hide behind their little Devilfish and all is good! lol...use the points and add a couple more drones!!! ;D
Closed Thread