Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Combat patrol Kroot...
Old 02 Apr 2007, 03:33   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Combat patrol Kroot...

I'm currently in the process of getting a friend started into 40k. His army of choice is the Necrons, and since I had a small Tau force assembled but ignored in favor of my Black Templars, I decided to concentrate on the Tau while he was building up his 'crons so we could get a bit of an army rivalry going.

In addition to regular, 1000 point games, we often do quick combat patrols (since my kitchen table is a perfect 4'x4&#39 during weekdays. However, in the spirit of "combat patrol", I try to avoid taking Crisis suits, since they just don't seem to belong in such a list. Lately, I've been favoring my Stealth suit team, along with the manditory fire warriors, and a unit of kroot.

My problem is this; now that he understand how best to use his 3-man destroyer squad (basically, stay 31" away from my units and shoot like mad) I want to pull an ace out of my sleeve to make his Destroyers less safe. Since 36" is the distance to meet or beat, missile pods or sniper drones would work well, but I'm not taking Crisis suits, and the drones were too easily overcome, since they numbered so few (and also didn't seem to fit into the 'patrol' theme of the list). So, it dawned on me that I could add a couple of Krootox riders to my Kroot squad for a bit cheaper than the drones, giving me the range advantage as well as a higher strength... it's just the AP that doesn't help.

Does anyone think this tactic will prove fruitful? I don't want to buy the Krootox if I'm never going to use them, so your opinions will be very valuable.

Thanks,

EDIT: BAH! Should have checked my codex... didn't realize that riders had three wounds. Cancel that plan... any other suggestions?
Commander Lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2007, 03:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha
Default Re: Combat patrol Kroot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Lightbringer
My problem is this; now that he understand how best to use his 3-man destroyer squad (basically, stay 31" away from my units and shoot like mad) I want to pull an ace out of my sleeve to make his Destroyers less safe. Since 36" is the distance to meet or beat, missile pods or sniper drones would work well, but I'm not taking Crisis suits, and the drones were too easily overcome, since they numbered so few (and also didn't seem to fit into the 'patrol' theme of the list). So, it dawned on me that I could add a couple of Krootox riders to my Kroot squad for a bit cheaper than the drones, giving me the range advantage as well as a higher strength... it's just the AP that doesn't help.

Does anyone think this tactic will prove fruitful?
Sniper drone teams have a stealth field: at that range, he more than likely will never hit them, and unless he spends the entire game turbo-boosting will not get a save against them. Three of them give you 9 rifles and three very accurate markerlights for the cost of two full FW teams. Also, try piranha's with seeker missiles as a support. If you give your FW teams markerlights (or just use the snipers&#39, they can light up the destroyers with a weapon that hits on a 2+, wounds on a 2+, and allows no save.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2007, 03:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

To be honest I find pure dakka the answer to all my problems. I don't run a lot of weapons higher then AP4, in fact my army has only 6 guns [2 ion heads, 4x rail rifles (pathfinders)] that are premanent though I do use 4 seeker missiles only because I have 2 squads of pathfinders.

I would say 90% of my damage is done by our str 5 ap 5 weapons, just the amount of fire power these things put out and saves you force your opponent to make. The key thing is to keep your Tau on the field so I bond my fire warriors in 10 man squads so they don't flee.
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2007, 09:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

The only problem with your tactic is the range. He said the destroyers are sitting 31" back, so his Fire Warriors will be shot down as soon as they move forward to get into range. My only suggestion is to try and lure his destroyers closer to you, then rapid fire them to death. If you can find a nice peice of cover to hide your units behind, then hide for the first part of the game, forcing him closer to you, then shoot his D'yi off! If that doesn't work, then I'd recommend you try some sniper drones.
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2007, 11:42   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I think sniper teams to fit the scenario. So i would use them. A pirahna team would be useful to quickly attack the destroyers with fusion guns.
Old 02 Apr 2007, 14:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Unless the Necron player is terrible, I don't think a lure would work. Why would he endanger his Destroyers when they are perfectly fine slaying Tau without the danger of return fire. Some of the other are right, you need to bring the fight to him.

If you don't want to use XV8s then you will have to rely on Stealth Suits, Piranhas, Kroot, or mounted fire warriors. I could see Snipers teams being used in a combat patrol, and don't see why they don't fit.

You have to play aggressive to take out those Destroyers. Infiltration is you best chance, so leave the Krootox at home. Take the fight to him, and once you kill those Destroyers fall back from the Necron Warriors that are sure to follow.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2007, 18:45   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i think a lure could work, if you could harras his destroyers with a unit of gun drones that will take their shooting focus of your other units. Then you could use sniper drones to finish them off