Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fusion Blaster Tactics
Closed Thread
Old 10 Feb 2005, 21:08   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Fusion Blaster Tactics

I'm new to the Tau, and think I have a pretty good grasp on how to take out space marines, with ion cannons, plasma rifles, and the fusion blaster. However, I have been having trouble trying to fully utilize the fusion blaster, as within the next turn I become assaulted by the space marines. Any tips? Should I cut down on fusion blasters against space marines (each of my crisis suits has a plasma rifle, fusion blaster, and multi tracker)? Also, I thought another good idea would be to play offensive and use the fish of fury to block my crisis suits. Thanks.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 21:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Fusion Blaster Tactics

While FoF will protect your suits from assault, they can still get shot, and that's the bigger problem with suits in the open: the long range missile/lascannon shot.

The real answer is to not take fusion blasters. Use missile pods instead, as they will allow you to stay out of charge-range while firing with both weapons. When the enemy is almost destroyed, you can pop in to finish him off up-close with the rapid-firing plasma gun.

Fusion blasters are neat weapons and all, but their lack of range and poor rate of fire make them a less effective and less versitile option than missiles and/or plasma.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 21:19   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

yeah, but i need someway to pierce that space marine armour...
Old 10 Feb 2005, 21:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Fusion blasters are still really good weapons apart from their low range. Best use for them is tank hunting Via deep strike. They *are still good for chasing marines you just have to remember to jump in to within 12" of the marine squad, fire fusions and then jump out to around 17" or 18". This way you will have nine shots that kill marines on 2s. Not a bad combination. As long as you jump back out to keep out of assult range you have a chance. But watch out because next turn marines move 6" and within Rapid fire range. so find some good cover.

Hope that helps
Old 10 Feb 2005, 21:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I thinl you just have to get good at placing your crisis suits at around 16" from Marine units that you intend to eventually shoot Fusion Blasters at. This way you can move up 6", shoot, move back always staying out of assault range.

Another tactic is to take Gun drones. These will be the majority save (and with the current FAQ, drones apply to normal majority save rules - you know that, right?). This way, shooting wounds will come off drones first, ideally.

The last dithc endeavor I think would be to set up a Brace. This is where you lead with two models (drones ideally) that are each at maximum coherency, like so:

C
C D D
C

If you manage to end up with the front drone at right near 12" from the potential enemy assault, when they do engage, the only two models in the "kill zone" are the drones and the other friendly models are 5.5" away romt he rear edge of the lead Drone's base. What this affords is twofold: (A) if the drones are eliminated, then there are no models in B2B and the enemy cannot conduct a Sweeping Advance and (B) being at 5.5" away fromt he lead drone, your subsequent fall back move is a minimum roll of 2, plenty of distance to ensure the enemy cannot consolidate on you either. Next trick is to ensure a rally (Ethereals are good for this) and then rapid fire again (or in your case, Fusion Blast because you may still be within range or at least you'll be close enough to make it back there).
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 10 Feb 2005, 22:33   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I love fusion blasters... any 4 toughness multiple wound model get smoked in 1 wound.... its a good tank killer, ap1 turns glancing hits into penetrating, and within 6" you get 2 penetration dice... so on a 14 armor tank you need to roll a 3 and a 3 to penetrate. I like those odds.

so if your using fusion blasters you will need to be close. Deep striking is a viable option... I dont like deepstriking myself tho.... id rather have the units killing things instead of sitting on the bench.>> If your playing on a big table and you have a guy thats sitting in the back with defilers or something deep strike is worth it.

Ok so you need to be close... you can fly up to the enemy .... or wait till the enemy comes to you.... if i am gonna wait for the enemy to come to me , its good to have some terain blocking line of sight. and you can arm your robot with a fusion blaster AND a misslepod or plasmarifle ... then he can play hide shoot hide game while your enemy advances...some things to think about are: who are you playing, and do they have indirect fire. If they have indirect fire ... waiting is a bad idea.

Flying up to your enemy is dangerous, and alot of the time you will loose the suits in the process. Some ways you can maximise your chances is to make enemy troops busy by shooting then either charging into CC ... or just getting in between the enemy and your crisis suits...with either gun drones, or the FoF tactic i learned on this board =) If you are going to sacrafice 150+ points that you spent on your crisis team, you wanna make sure that there either gonna take out enough enemy points to make it worth it ... or if they have some heavy support that you must kill to win... like the 10str ap2 Large Blast .marine vindicator or somethin. one way to help the team kill more stuff on there kamazaze mission is target lock. If you roll 6iz like me it just takes 1 shot to kill a tank.... then you have 2 or 3 other crisis suits to fire with ... a target lock or 2 helps.

When i am putting suits out in the open i also like to give the enemy something else to shoot at... a few devil fishes with troops will draw some of the fire or be at full strength and will kill enough enemy to make it worth it. Of coarse it all depends on the situation enemy and terrain.

the guys i play with dont use the majority saves/ toughness rules. So shield drones acccually work. If im making a fusion team i like to use shasso, bodyguard all with drones. The way we play is allocate hits to the drones till they all have a hit... then allocate to the robots. I dunno how you play but we found it was more fun skipping the majority rules =p

I hope you can get some good out of all this
Happy hunting
O0
Old 10 Feb 2005, 23:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Not using the drone rules as dictated unde v4 makes it a lot easier... :P

I'm tossing down a Shas'el with t/l Fusion and a Missile Pod. His approach can be slow or fast because he can pepper the enemy at range with the Pod and wait for the opportunity to close and vaporize folks with the FG, or in bigger style games I can Deep Strike him and end up in optimal range for both, affacting my retreat so that he's not the closest model.
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 11 Feb 2005, 00:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

short answer : FB are bad.

long answer : one shot weapons on BS3 are even worse, the plasma rifle gest off because its RF, and pairs well with the MP, the MP is superior to te FB as it lends the ranged component to the suit as well as to cover the small transports.

so in the end, Fusion is just outclassed and really finds little to no place in a compettetive list.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 11 Feb 2005, 00:30   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

As some may know, i love the fusion blaster! Although i am aware that the Missle Pod is superior

in terms of versatility and range, i feel that i am making better use out of my plasma rifle by

forcing myself into rapid-fire range. So based on the assumption that Fireknife crisis suits players

keep their crisis suits at a good range, my crisis suit has become superior, yet inferior, at the

same time. A good ranged crisis suit can make ultimate use of avaliable cover, while I can only

hope and pray that my "hops" get me as close as necessary without taking many casualites.

However there is always the option of deepstriking, but i feel that it is too random for me and

tends to overthrow my strategies. I cant think of a good way to end this so there im done.

However Dizzy i think that the Crisis Suit isn't that prime of a targert anymore, especially for a

player who uses the FoF strategy and makes good use of Hammerheads, which are deliciously

tempting and surprisingly resilent. I think this makes it easier for my suits to get where they are

needed. Additionally add to your "1 shot BS 3 weapons are bad" because of lack of range, or

else no one would have an imperial guard army with lascannons.

Gah, fine ill take 1 squad of Fireknifes but no more! You people are obsessed!

Old 11 Feb 2005, 00:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

FB has a use for depstriking, but DeepS'ing an expensive crisis isnt very good IMO.

and the thing w/ PR,MP is that you can do either, hang back or go in close to get RF vs. marines. also FB forces you to go to 18" rather than 24". add to that that 2 one shot weapons on a BS3 model is just really dumb, then you'll see my point :P
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread