Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What to do about deep-striking and infiltrating foes.
Old 01 Apr 2007, 19:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default What to do about deep-striking and infiltrating foes.

A group of friends and myself game roughly once a week, they play space marines, chaos marines, necron and tyranids, so clearly my poor tau army is the worst for close-combat, morale and leadership. Since my only army is the Tau, most of my friends capitalize on this by deep-striking and infiltrating damned near everything and anything they have to totally ruin my day. I've tried building crisis suit heavy armies to capitalize on the movement, but this also seems to make only marginal difference.

Anyone have any cut and dry suggestions for me - I realize this isn't much to go on.

p.s. I HATE the Necron WBB roll.
krupintupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2007, 19:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to kin7777 Send a message via MSN to kin7777
Default Re: What to do about deep-striking and infiltrating foes.

I'm assuming you play static, as its easy to just avoid them while playing mech.

the answer: play mech.

PUNK'S NOT DEAD
Think, it's not illegal yet.
kin7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2007, 19:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They way I would handle deepstriking armies as tau is to Castle up.. meaning have everyone huddle together so that any deepstriking unit that comes in wil find itself in range of every single gun in your army before he can charge.. often the threat of this will deter any aggresive 'in your face' deepstriking and infiltrating in the first place. The danger to castling up is that if you ever do get charged, consolidations will mess things up badly, so its a carefull balance you have to strive to achieve, but now that you know the overal goal to the solution, things should go better.

As for the Necrons WBB roll: let me give you a not-so-little secret that Necron players dont feel obliged to mention, share, or even acknowledge: An individual Necron model.. CANNOT WBB.... if IT individually is not within 6" of a freindly Necron model of the same type. Meaning if you mow down the front half of a group of necrons, not necessarilly will every single one be entitled to a WBB roll, its time to grin evilly and take out the measuring tape. And be prepared to reference the necron player to his own codex's WBB paragraph.

(it really bothers me that Necron players either flat out dont know this rule, or try to keep it some big secret.. at least in my area)
Old 01 Apr 2007, 20:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Kroot for both.

If you're playing static make a fortress as Calaban said. Now Infiltrate 30-40 kroot spread out in maximum 2" coherency in a circle 6 inches from the edge of your fortress. I did this to protect my broadsides against a guy trying out a drop troop army recently. He dropped 35 guardsmen around them in 2 turns. My rolling was pretty good, but I still only lost 1 shield drone and a handful of kroot and 8 fire warriors who had been stranded nearby. With the help of a nearby warfish I killed all of the attackers.
Old 02 Apr 2007, 01:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

1. Mech Tau. They can easily avoid getting cought in hth, and/or quickly respond to help other untis put pressure on untis that are deep striking/infultrating nearby.
2. Kroot. Use them as counter infultrators to keep your enemy from infultrating anything to close, or to move in on those infultrators right from the start. Having a large number of kroot backing up your static line works too. If they deep strike, shoot the heck out of them, then let the kroot have at them. Usually deep stike units won't be large, and a sizable kroot unit should be able to throw in so many attacks that they'll overwhelm the enemy, despite taking more casulties.
3. Set a trap. Try to set up your troops in such a way as to limit the areas your opponent can deep strike in, or infultrate towards. Leave a nice jucy opening that they won't be able to resist (maybe behind your army, ). Once they try to move in, send in some fast moving units to overwhelm them (vespids, piranhas, FoF, etc.).
4. Sacriaficial lamb. Set up an isolated target, that's far away from the battle. Let your opponent move his troops there, crush the sqaud, then struggle to do anything else in the battle after realsing their running out of turns and too far away to reach anything.

Hopefully those ideas will help.
Old 02 Apr 2007, 02:18   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well, for the leadership, grab a Ethereal, if they're within LoS, you reroll a failed check, but i personally stand my ground with Ld 8, you really fail it that much?

And for the anti-melee, it's been said, go Mech Tau, except vs necron, they tear devilfishs apart, but aren't very fast or game breaking if they make it into melee
Old 02 Apr 2007, 08:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I suppose I don't have the units to actually begin specializing just yet - my friends and i aren't hardcore gamers, and we allow a certain degree of proxying ("This devilfish is a Hammerhead, ok?") but I think mechanized might be the route for me to go. Ironically, the best game I've played yet was when I tried to cram as many AP 3 weapons into my army list as possible - played marines and the sniper drones and pathfinders really paid off!
krupintupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2007, 08:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

I have a question...is there any other way to play besides mech Tau? Does anyone here win with static lists or do I have to buy four more devilfishes. :-\

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2007, 08:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

It really depends on the army your facing. I've done well enough with a static list since I started. I've only started switching to mech. now because one of my frineds have started a Tyranid army, and thier just to darn fast for me, and I haven't found a way for my statc list to stand up to that kind of assault power. But against my other opponenets, a statc line has worked fine. I've annilated my frineds SOB army quite often, and between my gaming group, his SOB have a reputation for being reselient (stupid faith points >). But in my gaming group, we oftin play 3 way battles as well, and from experinece I find that I need the mobility to keep myself from becoming the man in the middle, , or vise versa, to give me more options to affect the game. In my last 3 way battle, my 2 opponents pretty much took each other out, while most of my units were too slow and too far away to do much of anything, except my newly formed mobile unit of a HH and 2 DF's. (killed a rhino and 8 battle sisters in one turn >).
Old 03 Apr 2007, 01:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Haha, why not just play a hybrid army. It works for me, its almost like playing with two armies at once. Use half of your army as a mech force (too fast for the enemy to chase after and nearly impossible to gain los to them) and use the other half to support them from far away (which will also give your enemy a distraction from your more important units, they'll be shooting at your fire base while the guys who are doing the real damage will be right in front of them next turn).