Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Have you ever felt bad?
Old 01 Apr 2007, 01:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Have you ever felt bad?

Have you ever felt bad about massacreing someone to the man. I know I did. I was playing a marine player who was had been getting back into the game from a six month stop, and his little marines with toothpicks (they had True Grit) had the toothpicks shoved up their collective D'yis. We played 1000 points, and he killed my hammerhead, and then proceeded to be all happy about his landraider that was now invincible. I then surrounded his landraider with my devilfishes and deployed a FW squad to block his exits. He tries to tank shock the fire warriors, and dies to a Death of Glory... from an EMP grenade. The squad inside died from a lack of a viable exit.

Has anyone else felt bad for their opponents?

CHeers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2007, 01:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: have you ever felt bad

Yeah, Orks, Speed Freeks. I felt really bad, the last guy dead was the guy with the force field. My Gue'vesa didn't even get to fire a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2007, 03:41   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I wiped out my buddy's Necron army while suffering almost no significant losses... the only VP's he gained were from knocking a few squads below half, LOL.

Did I feel bad? A bit... then I told him how to use his Destroyers better (i.e. keep them at least 31" from my FW squads!) so now it might be a bit more challenging!
Commander Lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2007, 04:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

pie plates... orcs.... the horror the horror

so I tried being nice and assaulted some grinskin with two drones.

The drones won and chased down a 20 man group.

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Amaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2007, 04:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Nah... railrifles against uber-tooled-uped GKs. Just the look on his face when we oculdn't make a save on those 20+ piont models.. (needless to say, I massacre him with about 3 FW deaths).
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2007, 04:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

Can't say I have. I rarely can get a game, let alone beat someone... :'(

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Mavfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2007, 04:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

I don't think I've ever wiped anyone to a man, but I do always feel bad when I win. Not sure why; I mean I'm happy when I win, but at the same time I feel sorry for my opponent, particularly if they've taken a lot of losses lately. However, this is not true with fencing...
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2007, 05:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberwolfCY
I don't think I've ever wiped anyone to a man, but I do always feel bad when I win. Not sure why; I mean I'm happy when I win, but at the same time I feel sorry for my opponent, particularly if they've taken a lot of losses lately. However, this is not true with fencing...
Why would you feel bad winning, its a game. Who plays a game to lose. Now I don't mean you have to be cut throat, rules lawyering but I don't feel bad beating people. There is some IQ required in any game like chess, some people become fixated on certain targets and spend whole turns trying to kill them while easier targets are more viable.

I don't rules lawyer for one and two I don't get all anal about inches, a lot of times I will hold back a 1/4 1/2 an inch actually instead of gaining every inch or give a little extra to my opponent. I don't have a laser rangefinder to pre measure my move and mark myself then move to the decimal dot, or if the table gets bumped or models fall I don't put up a stink whether everyone is in their exact spot.

I play to win but free flowing
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2007, 06:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've never felt bad about winning, but I occasionally feel bad about rules mistakes that the opponent makes. Marines are fighting swarms and they move in such a way that Battle-Brother Powerfist is only touching one model...and you just know that the marines will kill that model and leave him unable to swing, etc. There are a bunch of of little technicalities to 40k, and its always demoralizing when you lose significant stuff to not knowing some obscure rule.

A quote from somewhere that sums it up for me is "Ooh, a rookie mistake, and ya hate to see it."
Old 01 Apr 2007, 06:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It depends. I've had some "to a man" games, like one game where half my army had been wiped out already by Speed Freeks who went unchecked, and the other half fell back to an abandoned factory. Pulse fire rained in as each Ork ran into the bay doors, and instead of consolidating and holding ground, they all just charged in and got slaughtered. Now, normally that opponent is pretty smart about those types of things, so when I asked him afterward why he did that, his only reply was "they're Orks. If they sat back, the hand of Gork would crump'm anyway." He also figured that if he could just get 5 Orks into CC, he might've been able to wipe out everything in the building.
orion549 is offline   Reply With Quote