Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1250pt Tau army. Opinions, please
Closed Thread
Old 10 Feb 2005, 02:26   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default 1250pt Tau army. Opinions, please

Here is an army list I wrote up last night. I'd like some opinions on how to make it better and such. My thinking was to create a highly mobile force, while still keeping enough firepower to lay it down when needed. The following is what I came up with. As the title says, suggestions are more than welcome.

HQ:
Shas'el:
- Plasma Rifle
- Missile Pod
- Multi-Tracker
- HW Drone controller
- HW Shield drone

Elite:
XV8:
- Plasma Rifle
- Missile Pod
- Multi-tracker

XV8:
- Plasma Rifle
- Missile Pod
- Multi-tracker

3 XV15:
- Bonded
- Leader
- Markerlight

Troop:
12 Firewarrior
- Devilfish Mounted
- Seeker Missile

12 Firewarrior
- Devilfish Mounted

20 Kroot Warriors

Heavy Support:
Hammerhead
- Railgun
- Burst Cannon
- Decoy Launcher
- Multi-Tracker
- Disruption Pod
- Seeker Missile

Hammerhead
- Railgun
- Burst Cannon
- Decoy Launcher
- Multi-Tracker
- Disruption Pod
Old 10 Feb 2005, 03:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: 1250pt Tau army. Opinions, please

I think it looks really neat. althought I would perhaps swap one of the railguns for a ion cannon and then remove the seeker missiles and markerlight upg. plus I would remove the drones controller and shield drone! for the 67 pts I would throw in either:

1. a gun drone squad for better protection of the commander
2. a single XV8 fireknife
3 get 2*15 kroots

Otherwise it looks real neat and cool as said!
Old 10 Feb 2005, 04:55   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalyptic
I think it looks really neat. althought I would perhaps swap one of the railguns for a ion cannon and then remove the seeker missiles and markerlight upg. plus I would remove the drones controller and shield drone! for the 67 pts I would throw in either:

3 get 2*15 kroots

Khanaris agrees. Good, solid list.

Seeker missiles are sort of an all-or-nothing deal. You need to make sure you have a balance between units with markerlights and tanks with missiles.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 06:16   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hmmm. So, what you're saying is if I go for seekers, I gotta have an even amount of missiles to 'lights? Roughly, anyways. If that's the case, I'll drop em like you said. Was mostly just for a little extra firepower.

I'm somewhat hesitant about dropping one of the 'Guns for a cannon, though. Care to explain the suggestion? I'm not falt out refusing, i'm just interested to know why you'd suggest it. As to why I set it up that way, I want the option to pop more armour, if it's needed. Although, the 3 shots is rather enticing...

As to the 2*15 kroot, I suppose it might be nice to have another unit, though I was thinking of the raw amount of attacks* ;D
I'll play with it some more. Thanks.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 07:08   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Played with the list a bit more, so here is the modified one. Would still like to hear why to take the Ion over the Rail, even though I've traded it here. Thanks for comments again.

HQ:
Shas'el:
- Plasma Rifle
- Missile Pod
- Multi-Tracker

Elite:
XV8:
- Plasma Rifle
- Missile Pod
- Multi-tracker

XV8:
- Plasma Rifle
- Missile Pod
- Multi-tracker

4 XV15:
- Bonded

Troop:
12 Firewarrior
- Devilfish Mounted

12 Firewarrior
- Devilfish Mounted

13 Kroot Warriors

13 Kroot Warriors

Heavy Support:
Hammerhead
- Railgun
- Burst Cannon
- Decoy Launcher
- Multi-Tracker
- Disruption Pod

Hammerhead
- Ion Cannon
- Burst Cannon
- Decoy Launcher
- Multi-Tracker
- Disruption Pod

All told, 3 shy of 1250.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 08:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Good morning, my fellow insomniac Tau!*

It looks to be a good, solid list, but I do have a comment or two to make...

Disruption Pods are good, but do you really want to pay the points cost for them when both machines are armed with Burst Cannon?* The Pods are ineffective at ranges of 24" or below, and the Burst Cannon has a maximum range much less than that.* Effectively, you would only have the Disruptors' aid for the first turn or so of the conflict, depending on who went first.

Changing out the Railgun for an Ion cannon is a fairly "what do you like?" sort of question; for the second list though, it does give you some more anti-Armor (ie 3+ save) capabilities.

To comment on the marker light from the first list, I'd say there is nothing wrong with it at all!* All that is necessary is to remember that the Markerlight is strictly a support weapon; while it can be used to fire Seeker missiles, it mainly exists to make other units' shooting much, much more effective.* Personally, I would be hesitant to make one of my Stealth suits a 'Light carrier, simply because it restricts their movement somewhat, and removes a round of firing my Burst cannons.* Given the choice, I would equip a Fire Warrior Shas'ui with the Marker, and give him a hard-wired Target Lock so that he did not distract from the rest of the squad's targeting ability.

As far as balance goes, it is another "iffy" sort of question that really relies on what you plan to use Seeker missiles for.* For the Tau, Railguns tend to be better at cutting through vehicle armor plating; Seekers can only reliably do so against lighter tanks (Armor 12), and usually against side armor at that.* Thus, most of such Seeker fire ends up going against the lone Space Marine Hero or that aggravating Chaos Lord who just won't die...*

A nice "balance" for me would probably be 2-3 missiles per Markerlight, >>>*IF*<<< the Markerlight Fire Warrior/Stelath squad could be pretty well guaranteed to have that many turns of uninterrupted firing time.* For a Pathfinder team, you could bump up the number of missiles dramatically, but you have to consider that each potential shot is eating up 10 points each; there comes a point of diminishing returns where it would have been better to spend those points on another model rather than a torrent of screaming warheads.

(Even if the idea of hurling eight Seekers into that poor Marine HQ squad is pretty sweet!* * )

All in all, this list is a strong one.* I'm sure it could easily slam the pressure down on your enemy from the get-go, and never let up.* Good luck with it!
Old 10 Feb 2005, 08:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalyptic

3 get 2*15 kroots

I agree with all of that.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 08:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

1 thing where the Ion is preferable for me that is!

1. It fires 3 shots/turn that are able to pop marines just as easy as lighter tanks and walkers, bye bye to those killer kans units!

Well thats just why I use it.. its an all around weapon that dont packthe power of an railer but instead allows you to pop more enemies!
Old 10 Feb 2005, 14:57   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

One hideous (and expensive) surprise is to load up on seeker missiles and then fire a slew of them with a unit of pathfinders. Somewhat wasteful, but loads of fun to declare.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 19:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I certainly prefer the second list, it's much more streamlined and efficient to my eye. I'd recommend the following to it, however:

1- Drop the bonding on the stealth suit, or increase the squad size. Really, the only time you'll ever be below 50% now is when you're down to 1 model, which means you'll be taking all on your own tests every turn anyway. Plus, with such a small squad, odds are good that if you're hit, you'll lose all or nothing.

2- Keep the second railgun. Currently, you have 1 serious AT weapon. If that goes down, you've got some strength 7 shots, which won't cut it. And with only 1 shot at BS4, there's a very good chance you'll miss, and they might not....
Keep the disruption pods. I find they're very helpful the first few turns as you neutralize the enemy AT weapons, then you can zoom forward to use the burst cannons to full effect.

3- Put decoy launchers on your devilfish. It'll help them survive quite a bit.

4- For points to do all that? Hmmm....I'd combine the kroot into one big squad, then take a few off to pay for the above mentioned changes. They have bad leadership, so larger squad size will help them avoid taking tests in the first place.

I think it's a good list, overall. Oh, another thought:

5- Those single suits can be upgraded to team leaders for 5 points, and give twin-linked plasma, a missile pod and hard-wired multitracker. A little more pricey, but much more efficient at killing marines. If marines are common in your area, might want to consider it.
Closed Thread