Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question of fluff
Old 31 Mar 2007, 16:02   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Question of fluff

Hi everybody!

I was thinking of writing a little fluff about the tau. I was looking for some inspiration here on tauonline, and I come to realize the one thing every fluff-piece have in common: They all deal with combat!

So I thought: Why not write a story with no combat what so ever? I have always felt that there should be more material about everyday life in the tau empire, and I intend to try to write it! Now I am looking for ideas about a general storyline/plot. What would YOU guys like to read about? A watercaste merchant maybe? Or prehaps a lowly shas´la just accepted into the battle-college? Lets brainstorm now, and later you will evaluate my success in this endavour!

Cheers!
Orphanmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2007, 17:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Question off fluff

Water Caste is basically politicians so I don't think many would be interested in that. However, I beileve that Shas'la idea would be cool. I'd also be interested in a story of the Air Caste or Ethereal Caste. I think there is a lot of material you cold possibly create from those two ideas. Happy writing!

The TO Online Gaming Database
SarinFuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2007, 17:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphanmaker
I was thinking of writing a little fluff about the tau. I was looking for some inspiration here on tauonline, and I come to realize the one thing every fluff-piece have in common: They all deal with combat!
Not really. Although a very large amount of it does, not all of it does. You could probally write the best 'non-combat' fluff from the point of view of Fio or Por Caste members, however writting a drones AI would also be interesting. Anyhow this post should be in the fluff boards.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2007, 18:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Oooh! I smell a political thriller, in which a Por attempts to convert an Imperial world to the Tau'Va with nothing but his own silver tongue!
Or a Kor merchant, pretending to be a rogue for the empire, ferrying goods across the Empire's border in order to seduce the Gue'Vesa?

The possibilities are endless!
Old 31 Mar 2007, 18:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

I actually do like the idea. I would definately put the focus on the Water caste. They are the ones with the most interaction with other castes, as well as with other races in the galaxy. Multi-character stories will lend the most depth and variety of perspectives, however.

Do you have a storyline brainstormed yet? Try to hammer that out first, at least what the conflict of the story will be or the goal to be achieved by the main character, it will make it easier for others to fill in the blanks.

Read the Xenology book when you get a chance, it might pop some ideas for you.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2007, 01:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

A water caste explorer (think a cross between indiana jones and the crocodile hunter) studying wierd alien races (like kroot) or studying humanity and documenting them.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2007, 19:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Question of fluff

A water caste explorer discover the truth abou the ethereals, that they are evil aliens that want to enslave the Tau race... k, maybe that's a little to much :P
Old 02 Apr 2007, 20:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd like to see a drones point of view.

Or how about earth caste:
Today I built the same electrical housing I have been building for five years. It feels so good to help the greater good.

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Amaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2007, 17:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

i tried writing some non-combat stuff, it doesn't get as much commentary as the combat oriented stories, which is kind of unfortunate. i'd love to see you work.
Old 05 Apr 2007, 05:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

something about kroot
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote