Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pulse Rifles
Old 31 Mar 2007, 09:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Pulse Rifles

Im just wondering. The basic Pulse Rifle being St 5, out classes the Bolter in range and stopping power and is more comparable to a Heavy Bolter in performance.

Given the Bolter fires 'mini rockets' that explode upon penetrating the target (probably blowing little chunks of said target all over the grass). What effect does the pulserifle have on impact that puts it on a par with a Heavy Bolter (a gun firing rocket propelled exploding missiles the size of coke cans). Even the Gauss Guns strip the target of all organic tissue (melts them)
What effect on Joe Guardsmen would it have if he was hit....
Is the damage purely based on kinetic force or heat, does it melt them Necron style? Is it a mini plasma gun?
What are your opinions.

"Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponents fate."
Sun Tzu
Eetion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2007, 09:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Munchkin
Default Re: Pulse Rifles

I think it just makes a hole in the target. Clean.

An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

Help Support My Humor!
Munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2007, 09:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, I always thought that it fired a pulse-charged slug. The force at which it comes out the rifle means it injures more because of projectile speed.
The bullet is charged, which is why it comes out as a blue burst, this burns armour on impact and allows the slug to pierce the skin. Nice and surgical. Tau precision.
Old 31 Mar 2007, 10:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Would that warrant St5 though? They were my initial thoughts.

"Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponents fate."
Sun Tzu
Eetion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2007, 10:12   #5 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetion
Would that warrant St5 though? They were my initial thoughts.
Basic physics.
Long barrel equals in longer acceleration time for bluet. That leads to huge range and good piercing power.
With decent mass and high velocity bullet gains high punching power.
Not to mention heavy bolter is better against armor (in terms of tabletop) due to having better AP value.
Same effects can be now observed with rail guns (i mean real life rail guns).
Their slugs move way faster than standard carbine/artillery bullets thus they have nice piercing power.
an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2007, 10:17   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

the tau pulse weapons make use of magnetically compressed and contanted micro plasma charge rounds based on the tech used to make the plasma rifles used by the battle suits. the reason why its AP 5 is do to the small amounts of charged plasma that hits the target but its of such high str because of the way it reacts when it destabilizes on impact with the target body . read the codex and look up plasma on the net.
zapper18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2007, 11:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by XV18
Well, I always thought that it fired a pulse-charged slug. The force at which it comes out the rifle means it injures more because of projectile speed.
The bullet is charged, which is why it comes out as a blue burst, this burns armour on impact and allows the slug to pierce the skin. Nice and surgical. Tau precision.
Exactly how I imagine a pulse rifle... the target suddenly finds it has a hole in its belly, and falls on the ground :P
Old 31 Mar 2007, 14:02   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper18
the tau pulse weapons make use of magnetically compressed and contanted micro plasma charge rounds based on the tech used to make the plasma rifles used by the battle suits. the reason why its AP 5 is do to the small amounts of charged plasma that hits the target but its of such high str because of the way it reacts when it destabilizes on impact with the target body . read the codex and look up plasma on the net.
i think this explanation makes more sense. in dawn of war they look quite similar to plasma shots. also, the pulse rifle makes use of a "stabiliser" on the end of the gun which suggests that the gun would be unstable without it. and whilst on the general topic,,, why do tyranids get s5 guns with a reroll to wound? and they're cheaper trhan guard as standard???????

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it
every six months.

Teamwork is essential -- it allows you to blame someone else.

--thanks to DRobot
FiremaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2007, 14:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremaN
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper18
i think this explanation makes more sense. in dawn of war they look quite similar to plasma shots. also, the pulse rifle makes use of a "stabiliser" on the end of the gun which suggests that the gun would be unstable without it. and whilst on the general topic,,, why do tyranids get s5 guns with a reroll to wound? and they're cheaper trhan guard as standard???????
Don't Tyrranids "fire" symbiotes? If so then the reroll could flavourfully be because the little animal it shot out can try to attack twice before it dies or something.

The TO Online Gaming Database
SarinFuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2007, 15:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The stabliser may have more to do with accuracy than an unstable munition. Its a fairly long barrel and tau aren't particularly strong. The stabliser may simply compensate for movement/twitching/shaking of the wielder, instead of some kind of safety-device.

Kinda like the stablisers on modern cameras.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote