Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Landing Gear
Closed Thread
Old 10 Feb 2005, 00:05   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Landing Gear

Hi i have heard that tau skimmers are the only skimmers in the game that have the option to land, due to an in built "landing gear", apparently this was discussed in a chapter approved in white dwarf.

I was wondering if this is still true in 4th edition and if so what the relevent references are.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 01:44   #2 (permalink)
Jan
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Tau Tanks - Landing Capability

sigh... if they can land... Fof would b so much better (if you can land and then get back up)
Old 10 Feb 2005, 02:02   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Psh, landing would completely defeat the purpose of FoF. The whole point of FoF is for the FWs to jump out a rapid fire the enemy from under the devilfish (since skimmers don't block LOS). If you landed em, they would just block LOS like a regular tank so you couldn't shoot.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 05:01   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

You don't have to land to disembark or embark, so it doesn't hinder FoF in any way.
In Army Builder, the Tau tanks have a special entry called "Landing Gear" The Eldar Falcon and Dark Eldar Raider do not (nor do their variants). Hope that helps.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 08:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I can't think of any good reason to land, especially for FoF - you potentially make the skimmer much easier to hit in CC and block LoS for your own troops.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 08:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to freeman

I think he's saying that if the tank moves over 6 and gets imobolized it can land instead of crashing.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 08:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The only reason I can see for landing is if the enemy is putting up a nice little fireing point that will most certain take out your precious FWs, then I would land the DF between those to block LOS so that my FWs can escape!
Old 10 Feb 2005, 09:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=991.0 < Theres already a thread about it from ages ago, but it should've come up with a forum search at least :\

as for 4th ed. it appears to be still in use according to my FAQ post

Quote:
Q. When Tau use landing gear and land, do they still count as skimmers, and thus do not block line of sight, or since they are on the ground, they would?
A.
Landed or immobilised skimmers block LOS normally
[ Source: Games Workshop Message Boards - 4th Ed. PDF Updates FAQ. ]
and also this thread should've been posted in the FAQ thread after reading the FAQ :\
Old 10 Feb 2005, 10:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

No landing gear isn't that much usefull in new edition, as every vehicle could land if they are imobilized and not moving over 6'', the only difference is that unit with landing gear can instead of movement declare that it is landing and it count for that turn as immobile target. So not much big deal, only they block LoS, but no longer count as skimers for that round. So you cant use any vehicle with landing gear to block LoS after deployment as you can't land after movement.

The rules was added only as tweak to include the obvious possibility of TAu skimmers to land (as the model is only skimmer vehicle with something like Landing gear).
Old 10 Feb 2005, 11:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman
I think he's saying that if the tank moves over 6 and gets imobolized it can land instead of crashing.
Unfortunately that's not true. If you moved over 6" you still crash, with or without landing gear.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Closed Thread