Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

megaforce+commander(or just call a regukar guy a shas'o like i am)
Old 29 Mar 2007, 10:59   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default megaforce+commander(or just call a regukar guy a shas'o like i am)

Ok well i have 2 lists that can be made out of the megaforce, the commander, and the bits to make a devilfish into an ionhead .These are both 1000 points and a geared one for swarm and the other for sm/necrons.

ANTI SWARM
HQ
shas'o w/ afp,cib,mt,bsf
ELITE
shas'ui w/flammer,bc,mt,bsf
stealth team 3 member w/ ta for all
TROOP
fire warriors alpha 11w/leader,bonding,hwdc,shield drone
devilfish for alpha w/ mt,dl
fire warriors beta 9w/leader,bonding,hwdc,shield drone
FAST ATTACK
pirahna w/ ta
pirahna w/ ta
pirahna w/ ta
HEAVY
Hammerhead w/rail,bc,mt,dl

ANTI SM/NECRONS

HQ
shas'o w/tl pr, vectoral thrusters
ELITE
shas'ui w/tlpr, ta
stealth team 3 members
TROOP
10 firewarrior w/ leader,bonding
10 firewarrior w/ leader,bonding
FAST ATTACK
pirahna w/ fb,ta,dl
pirahna w/ fb,ta,dl
pirahna w/ fb,ta,dl
HEAVY
hammerhead w/ion,bc,mt,dl,bsf
hammerhead w/ion,bc,mt,dl,bsf

well all feedback is welcome

-twitch
Old 29 Mar 2007, 12:26   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: megaforce+commander(or just call a regukar guy a shas'o like i am)

I just played my first game and have to say that tau need marker lights were ever you can have them to be honest.

As for the Bonding knifes, dont really see a need for them to be honest.

Suit weaponry go twin linked Burst cannon on the general. Shiled Drone, HW Shield Gen and a gun drone.

On the other suit go the same but with a twin linked Missile pod.

Fletchette chargers on the pirahnas, makes them impossible to charge.

Urm, other than that against either marines, necrons or swarms the only ally a tau has is the amount of firepower and by taking High AP weapons on suits reduces the amount of shots you can rain in prior to a charge. same with stealth suits.
AlanHasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2007, 21:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Id disagree. Markerlights are nice, but very expensive. A few are very nice, but going too heavy on markerlights can hurt you a lot.

Bonding Knives are situation. Large suit teams with drones, for example are worth a lot of points, and are still very effective under half strength, and are great things to bond. Six man firewarrior teams, solo crisis suits, not so much.

Twin-linking is most efficient on low-BS models. I wouldn't normally suggest it on a shas'o. Instead, get a HW TL and a second weapon. More BS 5 shots is a very good thing. =P

I'm confused about what exactly you want on the other suit. Two TL weapons isn't possible. Burst and flamer isn't my favorite choice, since it requires very close range, but hey, it could be very effective against swarms.

Fletchettes are doubtful. Honestly, in my experience with them, piranhas are more likely to die from shooting than melee. The TAs though, are a good choice.

Stealth suits don't really reduce the amount of shots you fire...they're exactly the same as firewarriors in that regard. However, they play a lil differently, and variety is good. High ap weapons are great, as is lots of dakka, but I suggest a balance, as your opponent often will have a few lightly armored targets that you can abuse a rain of firepower on, while saving the killer shots for termies and their ilk.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2007, 22:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

List two looks to be the better one for a basis of an army, I'd just tweak it a little.

1. Always have a multitracker and 2 weapons on battlesuits (barring deathrains). Makes them so much deadlier, and twin-linking's really a waste on a bs 5 model. My personal favorite is a shas'el with targetting array, plasma rifle, cyclic ion blaster, and hard-wired multi-tracker. Comes to 100 points, but play around, see what you like. I'd also reccomend fireknife for your other suit, as a couple missile pods (Ok, 1) should do well in this list.

2. I'd consider making one Ionhead a railhead, just for the versatility a railhead offers (pieplate along with solid shot), but I can't see where you'd free up the 35 points for it.

3. If I were you, my next purchase would be a battleforce- it'll give you a mechanized squad, a full 6-man stealth team, plus some kroot. Kroot are very good.
Old 29 Mar 2007, 23:29   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

well here is where i should do some explaining on why i picked these units right.

well @ Rouge 7 the reason i have 2 ions is because ions eat marines. i dont want the rail because i have it's job covered in other places. instead of the solid shot for hard target killing i have pirahna's with fusions. instead of the sub shot i have stealth team with burst cannons. whatever the heavy shot would be used on the pirahna can cover and the stealths do the same for the sub-shot. also i can see your point on the shas'o not needing tl. i just want a marine killer and i dont know what else does that. missles sound good but i would rather kill a termie then maybe kill another marine. as for the battle force. thats gonna be a while for that purchase :'(
also @Tyndmyri dont see where i double twinlinked? if you could point that out it would be niceas for your other comments they arn't realy arguments so i will lets those help me in game and thank you for them
and finaly @AlanHasek your ideas dont sound 1/ bad but i just dont see why i should do any of them. they all seem very situatioal when i am makeing lists where every unit is made for 1 job and is fast enought to do what it is ment 2. there is no room for extras that dont do exactly what they need so they are kindof counter productive to my lists and a wast of points. thanks for the input and if i am a "noob" for saying this sorry. i might take that int consideration if i see things these help come up a lot but for now they wont make the list. sorry
Old 30 Mar 2007, 17:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Here are my thoughts, which are my opionins:

List 1

HQ: A lot of people will tell you to use a Shas'El and not an O, myself included. The El is much cheaper and you don't loose much. For a swarm I would equip it with a CIB and either a MP, PR, or BC depending on what type of swarm you are going against. Also at TA is mandatory. So the El should be CIB, Xweapon, TA, HWMT

Do not use the AFP on a command suit, give it to a Vre, so that you don't waste his good BS.

Elite: Firestorm suits are the best anti-swarm, and actually good against Marines too. MP, BC, MT and only the cost of five fire warriors. The suit you have won't be able to attack anything until later in the game unless you deep strike. The Firestorm can attack from turn one, and puts out 5 shots/turn once the enemy gets close.

Do a search for my 3 X 3 Stealth Suit tactica, because that unit does really well against swarms. You have plenty of points to scrounge from other areas to make this unit.

Troops: First off there is no reason to have shield drones with fire warriors. Anything that is going to kill them, that one extra save isn't going to help. Shield drones should only be used on suits. I would take away one suit from your foot sloggers and make the mounted team a full squad. Then take the BK off the footsloggers. With some of those points make the Devilfish into a Warfish SMS, TA, DL, MT

Fast Attack: Just keep these as three separate units, and I'm sure your opponent will hate them. Be sure to dismount those gun drones to get in the way of charging swarms, and force target priority checks in the shooting phase.

Heavy: Ionheads are great but you need a little more anti tank power. Swarm armies still take big vehicles and nasty creatures. Maybe get some FB on one or two Piranha, otherwise try to make on of these a Hammerhead. The pie plate is amazing against groups of troops. You need to get TL on both tanks, because the Ion Cannon and Burst Cannons should not be shooting at the same target. I'm not a fan of Burst Cannons on Hammerheads cause I don't want to be that close to the enemy, but you do get more shots than SMS. Up to you. Also I only start putting BSF when I have extra points to use up. .

List 2:

HQ: Don't twin link weapons on commanders. I would use a Helios configuration PR, FB, MT. I've never use the thrusters, but they look interesting. Using them I would keep the commander as an O.

Elite: That suit should do well. I'd keep him near you commander since they'll both be going after the same targets.

Stealth suits don't do well against Necrons, but they are good at taking table quarters. Against marines they can go after scouts and Rhinos.

Troops: I would split these into three teams, 6, 6, and 6 with no BK. Gives you more scoring units with the same amount of fire power if you make two squads 7.

Fast Attack: I've read the mathammer on DL on Piranhas and the conclusion was they aren't worth the points. These will work really well against Marines and their vehicles, because their bolters can't damage the front armor. Against Necrons they will all die. Every Necron gun can take them down, and they don't work against a Monolith, though I doubt you'll see one in 1000 points.

Heavy: With all those FB Piranhas you won't need a Railhead, and the Ionheads will tear apart Necrons/Marines. Good choice. Once again they need TL and I would use SMS instead of BC and get rid of the BSF. You definitely don't want BC against Necrons because you want to stay as far away from them as possible.

Well that's all I got, hope it helps.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2007, 19:57   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

sorry scoutfox but in list 2 i dont have a railhead and in list 1 i dont have an ionhead in list 2. other then that good. info. i will try to make some new lists considering all of this and post them later