Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What are the rules when it comes to Tau?
Old 29 Mar 2007, 08:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default What are the rules when it comes to Tau?

This probably isn't in the right place, so i'm sorry.

Im really new to 40k in general, and i'm about to start my first ever army.

I have a question though.
If, for example, I didn't like the kroot, could I do a conversion job on some fire warriors, give them knives or blades, and use them instead of the kroot.
There must be a rule somewhere which means you can use your own models instead of the ones you can buy, right?
Any help would be, well, helpful!
Old 29 Mar 2007, 09:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Farseer Cold-Beer
Default Re: What are the rules when it comes to Tau?

No. In competitive gaming tere is a rule called WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) which means that your models have to be what they are ment to be...

So yeah, but in friendly matches they shouldnt mind...
Old 29 Mar 2007, 09:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

theres also the counts as rule so if you make good models and a believable fluff you could justify it.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2007, 09:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't actually have the rulebook OR the codex.
Maybe I should think about getting them?
Old 29 Mar 2007, 09:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Uh...if you want to ever play a game, you'll need both.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2007, 10:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Timeless One
No. In competitive gaming tere is a rule called WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) which means that your models have to be what they are ment to be...

So yeah, but in friendly matches they shouldnt mind...
No that is not quite right. WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) does not order you to take the models GW released for it. It means that you must display all equipment on a unit properly (of course you have to display the unit properly too). IF you were right then all conversions were outruled :

I guess thiss is what you tried to say, though. I just wanted it not to get confusing for a beginner.

@ topic: Of course you can use a conversion or even alternative miniatures, as long as they fit the idea of the unit (low armor, guns, CC-weapons). Firewarriors have too much armor to be a good basis for conversion IMO.

Greetz, Trogdor

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2007, 12:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

making them out as "this squad counts as kroot" is perfectly fine, so long as they've got things to represent the kroot guns and close combat knives et al.

just dont go along the route of "these are close combat tau". make up your own alien race but have them "count as" kroot. it should be prefectly fine.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2007, 15:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks, that all makes so much more sense now!!! ;D
Old 29 Mar 2007, 20:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

If you want to use converted models as CCW, I suggest the somewhat less armored pathfinders as more appropriate.

Also, guardsmen with CCW and lasguns might be fluffy enough. Its not exactly the same, but its easier to justify. I suggest using catachans and adding kroot or krootlike accessories to make their role clear.

As a rule of thumb, it's ok to have conversions, just make it very clear what they are supposed to be. A firewarrior with a knife is closer to a regular firewarrior than a kroot, so a more extensive conversion would be desirable.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2007, 09:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

OK so what if I wanted Tau with Mech-wings instead of Vespids?
What kind of changes would I have to make?
If its possible to make it allowed, I would SO have them in my army cause I think they would look brilliant, but where do I start?
Here's a bit of fluff for the idea...

"The alliances between the Tau and the Vespids were not always peaceful. Before the third sphere expansion, the Tau had to earn the respect of the proud Vespids, through war!!
After repeated defeats, the Tau had to admit that the maneuverability of their winged foes was indeed a force to be reckoned with. Even the Tau jetpacks lacked that kind of speed and control.
So the Earth Caste designed an adapted version of fire warrior armor, equipped with mech-wings. And so a new squad of Tau were born, the falcon squad.
Swiftly the Tau gained the upper hand and defeated the Vespids, earning their respect and allegiance.
Recently however, the alliance has been strained, and in one of the Tau's armies (my army!) the vespids have rebelled and have started fighting once more with the Tau.
The Tau had no choice put to dust off their wings and dig them out of storage.
Only now could the Tau win the war."

Bear in mind that I don't have the codex, so I know I may have got facts wrong, but I don't know the real facts, so I made them up.
Any ideas?