Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pathfinders equiped with stealth gens.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 18:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Pathfinders equiped with stealth gens.

In the never ending debate to improve the pathfinders has provided us with many good ideas and some out right laughers.

I like the path finders personally, but like every one else who fields them finds them dead by turn 2 or 3.

To give them some extra longevity they need to start using the stealth generators at the cost of 3-5 more pts per modle.

No other rule change. I didn play with the idea of adding the stealth field to the DF like in dark crusade but on the table top I can see how that would smell like yesturdays bree.

Would you use pathfinders more in their marker role if they cost 15-18 pts a model but had stealth capabilty?
Kelsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2007, 18:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Pathfinders equiped with stealth gens.

No, as they were overpowered. I do not use homerules whatsoever, I deal with what the official rules give me. If you truely want them to have a stealth gen (besides: where would they keep that thing?) at LEAST double the costs.

Greetz, Trogdor

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2007, 23:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

What if they were all turned into spotters? Lose the carbine and scout ability, have them all with the marker "drop-turrets" (with the incorporated target array) and stealth field generators, drop them in for about 18-24 points. Have them as an elite choice, with the option for pulse pistols at extra points. Gets some more use out of the Spotter model, and makes sense with the existing tech.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2007, 23:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

What are you doing with your pathfinders that they're dead on turn two or three? Just use your scout special rule to move them ahead into some sweet cover and hunker down. If theres something in the enemy army that are obviously going to harm your pathfinders then light them up with the marker lights and let the rest of the army take care of them. I usually still have about half the squad left by the end of the game, they really aren't that bad at staying alive.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 03:41   #5 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

I think it is because players with a decent experience vs tau realise just how deadly a squad of Pathfinders/markerlights can be. I love pathfinders especially in larger point games (say above 1500pts) but have the same problem. All my regular players no how dangerous ther are and hit them with everything they have. Also as I play mech tau they are normally a target for all those anti infantry guns.

As for giving them stealth feilds..... I like the idea and it suits there role however I am not sure how that would go in terms of game balance. Pathfinders are so good there drawback/balance is ther vulnerability.

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2007, 07:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsik
I like the path finders personally, but like every one else who fields them finds them dead by turn 2 or 3.
That's why I use Tetras...

Anyway, Damian's idea wasn't too bad. I would like to see some sort of stealthed, pure-marker squad for those people who don't use sniper drones.
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2007, 13:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
I would like to see some sort of stealthed, pure-marker squad for those people who don't use sniper drones.
Thats more like it: Take a sniperteam, swap the drones for markerdrones, keep the tau with the controller and say 120 points (the equivalent of 4 markerdrones, as you get 4 markerlights). They do have stealth, but take up one heavy support-slot. And Id say only one team per slot, for balance purposes. Due to the stealth-field they are near impossible to shot with long-range weaponry, and therefor pretty hard.

I think that is far more reasonable than the pathfinder.suggstions before.
Stealthed markerlights, for a decent price, but as a drawback you miss out on the heavy weaponry.

Your thoughts?

Greetz, Trogdor

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2007, 09:40   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Use a stealth suit markerlight team instead.
Falconrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2007, 13:46   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

yea just get a 6 man stealth team with 3 drone conrollers, so u can get 6 marker drones(will be costly though)
Knowledge is power. Bide it at will.
There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt
A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn.
What is victory? Is it to defeat your enemy on the field of battle? Is it to simply repulse his armies and slay his misguided warriors? No, this is only the very beginning!
A hundred thousand worlds, ten hundred thousand wars. There is no respite, there is nowhere to hide. Across the galaxy there is only war.

LOTS of quotes for 40k fans!
commander_oshovah is offline   Reply With Quote