Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Vehicles
Old 27 Mar 2007, 13:40   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Tau Vehicles

I'd like to see what the honored members of this board think when comparing Tau vehicles to other vehicles or large creatures (Carnifex like creatures).

What would a Hammerhead go up against? A Lemen Russ?
A Sky Ray?
any Tau Tank and skimmers.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 15:38   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Tau Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasorith
I'd like to see what the honored members of this board think when comparing Tau vehicles to other vehicles or large creatures (Carnifex like creatures).

What would a Hammerhead go up against? A Lemen Russ?
A Sky Ray?
any Tau Tank and skimmers.
I'd say a hammerhead is a worthy opponent for a Lemen Russ, i would say basilisk, but hammerhead's eat basilisk's alive
Old 27 Mar 2007, 16:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to halohog

devilfish would have to be compared to a chimera, as rhinos are too weak - they are, i believe, around the same points cost (that being fish and chim)

piranhas would be up against things like landspeeders and vypers.

sky rays i get stuck at - the missiles have a technically infinite range, but markerlights don't. the most obvious thing is a whirlwind, but that fires ordnance missiles, whereas a skyray has six ML-triggered hunter-killers.

actually, it does not compare to ANYTHING that I know of other than, possibly, a Thunderhawk, as it is really intended for anti-aircraft work, even if it is a relatively common battlefield sight.

hammerheads are basically a long-ranged Main Battle Tank, so, yes, Leman russes are probably the best choice for comparison. basilisks, no way, basilisks are extreme range artillery, not to mention the earlier point that they are very weak up against a railhead - unless they hit enough...

so, hammerhead is leman russ - hey, wait, i just thought, a devilfish is just a wave serpent in weaker armour and less engine power.

then the piranha is a landspeeder/vyper/some kind of really fast ork vehicle like a warbuggy.

remember that the skyray has NO true comparison, unless you can find another similar support vehicle...
Old 27 Mar 2007, 17:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Apples to oranges again..

I recommend not comparing tanks to tanks. you can certainly grade them from best to worst, but don't try and make 'race equivalents' from one tank to another. Allow me to explain.

The Leman Russ is the undisputed king of the non-forgeworld tanks. 14 front armor, an 8-3 ordinance, a lascannon, and two sponsons. If you kill one big gun, it still has another that keeps it useful. These babies are the ultimate in generalized destruction.

Closely after that is the Predator Main Battle Tank of the Space Marines. This gets number two from its incredible versatility. You can deck this baby out with las cannons galore and destroy just about anything with your superior BS skill. Or go auto cannons and be a superb generalized killing machine. The Chaos tank is slightly better then the ordinary space marine tank

Third is the Hammerhead Gunship. Why is it number three? Sure its a skimmer that can shoot as fast and has the whopping great 10-1 cannon, but the weaknesses are scalding. Only two weapon systems (three if you have burst cannons) means that after two glancing 4's to hit, your useless.

Fourth is the Fire Prism, and the rest of the eldar tanks.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 21:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you want to go like that...

1) Falcon- Incredibly fast. Also, with holofield+ spirit stones, it's incredibly resilient. Also, you have great firepower. And depending on your loadout, you can fire all your weapons, not just one or two. And as bonous, you get to transport a small squad.

2) Hammerhead- The kid of a Flacon and Leman Russ . Very fast, very shooty, very durable. If you have the target lock you can fire like a superheavy vehicle. However, it suffers from the fact that it tries to do everything at once. It can't outshoot a Falcon or Leman Russ. It's not as a fast as a Falcon, nor is it as durable as either of them. However, you can mount one of the strongest weapons in the game on these babies.

3) Leman Russ- Amazing on paper, only pretty in real life. Good armour, but it's nothing compared to Skimmer Rule or Decoy Launchers or Holo Fields. Also, it's slow. 6" a turn is not much. And worse, you CAN'T fire the heavy boltesr or lascannons if you fire the Battlecannon.
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2007, 22:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

not to revers the forum but would any one say that the hammer head is the polar opposite of a necron monolith.
monolith = huge invulnerable brick
hammer head = quick and powerful gun
I've never tried necron and have only played against a couple of necron players so i may be way off but it seems a little like the cobra and the mongoose sort of match where with the right use they could counter each other
cruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2007, 23:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to AvalonSurfer739

I don't think you can really compare vehicles easily to monstrous creatures. For example... A Carnifex which can carry venom cannons along with barbed stranglers and all those weapons can punch out a deadly array of firepower. Not only does it have possible the same firepower as a Hammerhead but it is alot harder to kill.

One good hit on a HH will easily drop it from the sky. A Carnifex can take up to 4 of these lucky hits! Even a railgun cant insta-kill it. That means that you need to fire a minimum of four Railgun shots to kill it. Your really going to end up needing 5 or 6 after all the "to hit roles" have been done

Now Carnifexs are this good and can be under 120 points. Thats why my cheesy friend uses 5 of them along with 2 hive tyrants and 3 zoanthorpes that are all equipped with enough weapons to outshoot Tau

Grogalmighty put the vehicle comparisons in good order . But also remember one thing that gives a Hammerhead a big advantage over a Leman Russ is that it can either fire the STR 10 Railgun or the super big submunition round that doesent have to role for Scatter. The Leman Russ's almost always scatters off-target in the games i've played against Imperial Guard

-Made by the awsome Photoshoper TchicoriTa
AvalonSurfer739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2007, 02:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogalmighty
Apples to oranges again..

I recommend not comparing tanks to tanks. you can certainly grade them from best to worst, but don't try and make 'race equivalents' from one tank to another. Allow me to explain.

The Leman Russ is the undisputed king of the non-forgeworld tanks. 14 front armor, an 8-3 ordinance, a lascannon, and two sponsons. If you kill one big gun, it still has another that keeps it useful. These babies are the ultimate in generalized destruction.

Closely after that is the Predator Main Battle Tank of the Space Marines. This gets number two from its incredible versatility. You can deck this baby out with las cannons galore and destroy just about anything with your superior BS skill. Or go auto cannons and be a superb generalized killing machine. The Chaos tank is slightly better then the ordinary space marine tank

Third is the Hammerhead Gunship. Why is it number three? Sure its a skimmer that can shoot as fast and has the whopping great 10-1 cannon, but the weaknesses are scalding. Only two weapon systems (three if you have burst cannons) means that after two glancing 4's to hit, your useless.

Fourth is the Fire Prism, and the rest of the eldar tanks.
I would argue that monolith should be in there somewhere. It's really an amazing tank(though balanced in its list...necrons have a lack of choices, and thus, are rather predictable).

Additionally, a land raider should get a mention somewhere. Probably too expensive to make the very top, but it is a pretty cool tank nonetheless.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2007, 02:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

The monolith is definatley at the top, or near it.

Think about it, Top armor ALL the way around, and its immune to Melta weapon's double dice effects! It can deepstrike, and, on top of all that, teleport squads to it.

That is crazy.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2007, 04:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Don't forget that it's a skimmer, cant be destroyed by scatter onto units DSing...in fact, it can actually be used to move them. Absolutely sick.

Demolisher is also a solid tank. Think a Leman Russ with better armor and a bigger gun for only a couple more points. The only real downside is shorter range.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote