Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau fluff questions
Old 27 Mar 2007, 01:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Tau fluff questions

Hi all. I don't play Tau. :P But I'm working on some fluff for the upcoming campaign. I need some fluff info, if you please. If I don't get the information...I'll be forced to have Tyranids eat all the Tau so I don't have to write any more fluff for them. ;D

What is the supreme political leader (or a supreme political leader) called?
What would the office of defense minister be called?
How would one refer to them (Mr., Sir, etc)?
What do Tau call their troops (specifically stealth suits)?
What do Tau call human conscripts?
What do Tau call human insurgencts?
What do Tau call cultists?
What do Tau call Tyranids?
What sort of organization / improvements would a Tau government impose on a recently conquered planet?

Thanks in advance.
Emlyn
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2007, 01:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tau fluff questions

Many of your questions can be answered by an article on this website, Tau A-Z I think. although humans are Gue'vesa(human helper) or Gue'la.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2007, 01:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Hi all. I don't play Tau. :P But I'm working on some fluff for the upcoming campaign. I need some fluff info, if you please. If I don't get the information...I'll be forced to have Tyranids eat all the Tau so I don't have to write any more fluff for them. ;D

What sort of organization / improvements would a Tau government impose on a recently conquered planet?

Thanks in advance.
Emlyn
Aun'Va Is the supreme political leader, full name can be found elsewhere.
Don't know, but there is a Fire Caste council of the highest leaders
Caste name (Shas for warriors, Aun for ethereals, Kor for builders) then rank, then sept then given name.
Don't know
Gue'vesa
Gue'la
Don't know
Don't know
Don't know
Old 27 Mar 2007, 02:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

This is definitely Calmsword's speciality, but I think I can help out a bit. I'll answer with as much detail as possible, to aid you in your desire to create great campaign fluff!

Quote:
The Tau are divided into five castes, distinct by their physical build and speciality:
- Shas (Fire): These are the warriors of the Empire. Hence Fire Warriors, or even more appropriately, Shas'la.
- Kor (Air): The Kor Caste are the pilots and navigators of the Empire. Tall and thin, they live almost exclusively in space. They work extensively with the Fire Caste.
- Por (Water): Their language flows like water - they are the Por, the diplomats of the Empire.
- Fio (Earth): They build their cities on rock'n'roll! The Fio are the builders and engineers of the Empire.
- Aun (Celestial / Ethereal): The Aun are the undisputed ruling caste, combining the roles of priest and wise sage.

Now, there are ranks in each caste (the below examples are all military, because the Fire Caste is the most represented caste in the game, but these ranks apply to all!):
'La - Your "basic" member. Hence Shas'la.
'Ui - Veterans. Fire Warrior squad leaders are Shas'ui, as are the un-upgraded members of Crisis Suit Teams, Stealth Suit Teams, and Broadsides (i.e. battle suit pilots).
'Vre - Hero. These are the squad leaders of Crisis Suit Teams, Stealth Suit Teams, and Broadsides. They also make up the personal bodyguard of higher ranking commanders.
'El - Noble/Knight. The most basic headquarters choice for the Tau is a Shas'El in a Crisis Suit.
'O - Commander.

So, you can now easily make your own ranks in all five castes! Tu-dah!

But, you want more? Alright! Here's more specifics about the Aun!

Aun are the rulers of the Empire, headed by a council of the wisest Ethereals. They are advised by the highest families of each caste, but maintain ultimate sovereignty over all castes. In part because of the lack of faster warp capabilities, political power within the Tau Empire is highly decentralized, with individual Aun or Aun councils overseeing specific planets. Aun are dispatched with new colony fleets, as well - Aun'shi was helping found a colony when attacked by Orks, and Aun accompanied O'Shovah in his reclamation efforts. Furthermore, Aun can oversee new "spheres" of Tau expansion. Which brings me to....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aun LeKeth
Aun'va is the supreme political leader.
No! No no no! Aun'va is the supreme leader of the Third Sphere, not of all Tau everywhere. His full name is Aun'o'T'au'Acaya'Va'Denta. The highest ranking Aun in the Empire is Aun'o Kath'lan (this from Calmsword's fluff, you'll have to ask him where he got the information.)

I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2007, 02:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

What do they call human troops?

Auxilliaries are Gue'Vesa (human Helper)
non-aligned troops are Gue'La (humans)
Cultists are "Corrupted Humans" or Corrupted Gue'La
'Nids are just 'Nids

On a recently conquered planet (assuming a world with a hive of humans) they would...

Demolish most of the human hive and quickly replace it with a Tau city.. Human cities would not suit the Tau well, and are dirty, messy, ugly, and too difficult to defend if you don't know where it is.
Any humans in positions of power will be disposed of their position, or put into another which is controlled by the Tau. Human workers will be treated just like the Tau, given equal housing, work, and living. All heavy weapons will be confiscated, and human troopers will only carry tau technology in dangerous situations (invasion, etc.).

The Tau would NOT use humans as test subjects (unless they were voluntary), cannon fodder (Tau never waste troops), or preform mass executions/genocide.

If its a human colony under the control of the Tau, its a pretty good bet that the ordinary people are happy, but afraid of imperial retaliation, and will fight for their lives.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 02:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

More answers!

Quote:
Well, the codex doesn't have a specific name for them, just that they are Shas'ui rank, with the option of upgrading one member to the rank of Shas'vre. I'm certain some enterprising young Shas'la has come up with a sufficiently Tau-ish name, and will quickly come to your aid.

Quote:
As far as I know, Tau don't conscript humans persay. Rather, under the Tau, humans are arranged more along the lines of militias, with humans loyal to the Tau called Gue'vesa, or human helper. Humans are generally called Gue'la. Insurgents, cultists... I'm uncertain. What kind of insurgents (pro-Empire, pro-Imperium) and cultists (Tyranid, Chaos) are we talking about?

The Tyranids: The Y'he.

Quote:
Well, this is the one million dollar question. This isn't an easy one, and its one that we're going to have to answer for ourselves.

The Tau use diplomacy far more regularly than the Imperium, so many "conquered" Imperial worlds were actually taken without a fight, with the Imperial Governor simply switching allegiance.

Complicating matters is the fact that the primary resources we have on this very subject - The Taros Campaign and Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, are from Imperial perspectives.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Old 27 Mar 2007, 03:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've heard Y'he used before, I think it was for one of the doomsday races(nids, necrons). If anyone could find that article that'd be great.

Quote:
Quote:
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Old 27 Mar 2007, 03:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogalmighty
On a recently conquered planet (assuming a world with a hive of humans) they would...

Demolish most of the human hive and quickly replace it with a Tau city.. Human cities would not suit the Tau well, and are dirty, messy, ugly, and too difficult to defend if you don't know where it is.
Any humans in positions of power will be disposed of their position, or put into another which is controlled by the Tau. Human workers will be treated just like the Tau, given equal housing, work, and living. All heavy weapons will be confiscated, and human troopers will only carry tau technology in dangerous situations (invasion, etc.).

The Tau would NOT use humans as test subjects (unless they were voluntary), cannon fodder (Tau never waste troops), or preform mass executions/genocide.

If its a human colony under the control of the Tau, its a pretty good bet that the ordinary people are happy, but afraid of imperial retaliation, and will fight for their lives.
Hey, I really like your response, Grogal Almighty! I agree with most of this, but your last statement ignores that fact that there are going to be some people who desire the return of "the Emperor's saving light" to their planet, and will rise up at the first available opportunity.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 03:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thanks very much everyone! I appreciate it. Expect to be able to evesdrop on a Tau status report soon.

This thread can be locked now.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2007, 03:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Did you find the thread I mentioned? I'd be a lot more helpful than me.

Quote:
Quote: