Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

1000 points tau tournament armylist ver. 1.1
Closed Thread
Old 09 Feb 2005, 13:04   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 56
Default 1000 points tau tournament armylist ver. 1.1

Hi all again. I'm going to introduce you 1.1 version of my armylist:

2 Commander Shas'el 170 Pts
Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker

3 Crisis Battlesuit Team 195 Pts
Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker

2 x 12 Fire Warriors 225 Pts = 450
Pulse Rifle; Bonded; Shas'ui

Devilfish Dropship
Decoy Launcher

Hammerhead Gunship 185 Pts
Railgun; Smart Missile System;
Target Lock
Multi-tracker
Decoy Launcher
Disruption Pod

Models in Army: 36


Total Army Cost: 1000

I need your advice: Which is better: 3 separate crisis suits, 2:1 or 3 in pack?

The changes: i changed shas'o and one crisis to 2 shas'els and got 5 extra points, i spent 'em on disruption pod for my HH to get more protection versus eldar lances/missile launchers/etc.

What do you think?
__________________
Kain is offline  
Old 09 Feb 2005, 15:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 2,232
Default Re: 1000 points tau tournament armylist ver. 1.1

Greetings again Kain!!!* *lol...I think that I just like giving you advice!!!!* Actually, this list seems to be exactly like mine!!! It's strange, no?* Anyways, here's your list stuff:

2 Commander Shas'el 170 Pts
* * *Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker
Hey, your fluff is back and looking cheaper than before...Great!* I'm still really debating whether or not I want to have 2 shas'els in my army...

3 Crisis Battlesuit Team 195 Pts
* * *Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker
Perfect!!! It will cause maximum damage, but I would still bond them, so that when there is one suit left, it won't run away...hmmm...now I need ten points...maybe later...

2 x 12 Fire Warriors 225 Pts = 450
* * *Pulse Rifle; Bonded; Shas'ui

* * *Devilfish Dropship
* * *Decoy Launcher
Right on!!! FoF with theses babies! Don't change!

Hammerhead Gunship 185 Pts
* * *Railgun; Smart Missile System;
* * *Target Lock
* * *Multi-tracker
* * *Decoy Launcher
* * *Disruption Pod
The only thing that bothers me is the Target Lock, as you will not need it if you are moving 12" a turn and then shooting with the railgun...and also I've never had any luck with the Disruption pod...so *snip*

In the end, just drop the Target Lock (-5pts) and the Disruption Pod (-5pts) and bond your crisis suits (+10pts), as one crisis suits hopping around taking "all on your own tests" is better than none!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain
I need your advice: Which is better: 3 separate crisis suits, 2:1 or 3 in pack?
Ok, in small games (500-750 pt games) 3 crisis separate suits are good becuase they are able to bound around each causing their own havoic.* 2:1 isn't really all that great 'cause the 2 will usually get picked on rather than the one, and there is no sence bonding the squad if it is not full...that is why I always take 3 together and bond them.* That way there will be maximum shots from one group (Fireknife= 6 Plasma shots @ Rapid Fire, 6 Rocket Pod Shots @ 36" and down), causing casualties along the way... especially against smurfs!!!
Shasel_Aunat is offline  
Old 09 Feb 2005, 16:18   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 56
Default Re: 1000 points tau tournament armylist ver. 1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasel_Aunat
Ok, in small games (500-750 pt games) 3 crisis separate suits are good becuase they are able to bound around each causing their own havoic.* 2:1 isn't really all that great 'cause the 2 will usually get picked on rather than the one, and there is no sence bonding the squad if it is not full...that is why I always take 3 together and bond them.* That way there will be maximum shots from one group (Fireknife= 6 Plasma shots @ Rapid Fire, 6 Rocket Pod Shots @ 36" and down), causing casualties along the way... especially against smurfs!!!
Wait! LoL. But 3 separate suits make same amount of fire as 3-man squad does, but they can shot at different targets. They are all squads, so enemy can't shoot at my commanders if they're nearby. They have not to pass morale checks except pinning and cc. If I choose to deepstrike I will get at least one of them where I want, etc. What do you think? ;D
__________________
Kain is offline  
Old 09 Feb 2005, 16:44   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 18,087
Default Re: 1000 points tau tournament armylist ver. 1.1

You should always use all three of your elite slots (unless you are using less than three crisis suits or stealth suits). Split your crisis suits up as much as you are able. This removes the need for the target lock and bonding, and also makes them harder to take down with shooting and in close combat. It also makes it more likely that at least one will arrive when you deep-strike them.

The only advantage to having them all in the same unit comes when they are in reserve and you would rather they all arrived at once. This same precept also applies to broadsides. If you are using them and you haven't taken a second Hammerhead for some reason, split them into two groups.
khanaris is offline  
Old 09 Feb 2005, 16:52   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 56
Default Re: 1000 points tau tournament armylist ver. 1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanaris
You should always use all three of your elite slots (unless you are using less than three crisis suits or stealth suits).* Split your crisis suits up as much as you are able.* This removes the need for the target lock and bonding, and also makes them harder to take down with shooting and in close combat.* It also makes it more likely that at least one will arrive when you deep-strike them.*

The only advantage to having them all in the same unit comes when they are in reserve and you would rather they all arrived at once.* This same precept also applies to broadsides.* If you are using them and you haven't taken a second Hammerhead for some reason, split them into two groups.
Thanks! ;D Not only I think so! 8) That's good.
__________________
Kain is offline  
Old 09 Feb 2005, 17:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 2,232
Default Re: 1000 points tau tournament armylist ver. 1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanaris
The only advantage to having them all in the same unit comes when they are in reserve and you would rather they all arrived at once.* This same precept also applies to broadsides.* If you are using them and you haven't taken a second Hammerhead for some reason, split them into two groups.
That and the fact that you have more of a change of damaging a target (eg. a 3-man crisis suit with PR, FB, MT) with three shots instead of one...that is why I like them in groups of three rather than one...although you almost have to throw ten points out to make sure they're bonded...
Shasel_Aunat is offline  
Old 09 Feb 2005, 17:59   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 18,087
Default Re: 1000 points tau tournament armylist ver. 1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasel_Aunat
That and the fact that you have more of a change of damaging a target (eg. a 3-man crisis suit with PR, FB, MT) with three shots instead of one...that is why I like them in groups of three rather than one...although you almost have to throw ten points out to make sure they're bonded...* *
But don't you have the exact same chance of damaging as three one-man squads? That and the other two can choose a new target if the first one gets the job done.

Please note that I am not saying you should only ever field three crisis suits, If you have the points, by all means use larger squads. Just make sure you are taking advantage of all of your elite slots.
khanaris is offline  
Old 09 Feb 2005, 18:08   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 56
Default Re: 1000 points tau tournament armylist ver. 1.1

In 1500 I often use 6 man stelth squad (sometimes they are bonded) and 2 non bonded 2-man crisis squads, because they can reform freely if one man is down, they are not below 50%.
__________________
Kain is offline  
Old 09 Feb 2005, 20:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 2,232
Default Re: 1000 points tau tournament armylist ver. 1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanaris
But don't you have the exact same chance of damaging as three one-man squads?* That and the other two can choose a new target if the first one gets the job done.
lol...right...so I figure that the three lone suits will be somewhere near by then to help each other out right? lol...
Shasel_Aunat is offline  
Old 09 Feb 2005, 22:15   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 18,087
Default Re: 1000 points tau tournament armylist ver. 1.1

That is why I mentioned deep-striking. Bad reserves rolls or scattering is the only reason they might not be together when you want them to be. Keeping them seperate gives you the option of using them to support each other. Putting them in one squad forces you to use them together and requires 10 points to keep them from legging it off the board. Keep in mind, no one is moving your units but you. If guess if you don't trust yourself to use them efficiently as individuals, grouping them simplifies your options by paring most of them away.

Tactically, I agree that the battlesuits should be used in groups to support each other. I am not arguing that three crisis suits running around on opposite corners of the board makes for a good strategy. That does not, however, mean they should actually be assigned to one unit on your list. Another advantage comes to objectives. Each individual battlesuit can hold a table quarter, occupy a building, or run off with an objective. The others are free to fulfill other objectives or just watch his back.
khanaris is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hybrid Tau - 1000 Points - Special Tournament Rules Apply Eleven Tau Army Lists 2 04 Jun 2009 21:02
1000 Points Khorne. Tournament Winner - [CSM] Jeff Chaos Army Lists 7 08 May 2008 15:48
1000 Points Tournament List - Khorne Jeff Chaos Army Lists 11 04 Apr 2008 16:33
Novae's Return [Tournament List @ 1000 Points] AuinMyrrath Craftworld Eldar 2 16 Jul 2006 15:20
1000 pts. Tournament Tau armylist Kain Tau 50 09 Feb 2005 15:54