Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tips against Black Templars?
Old 24 Mar 2007, 22:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Tips against Black Templars?

OK next weekend I'll be playing against my little brother in a 1500pt battle.
He plays Black Templars and he has been playing for a lot longer than I have and is also perfectly aware of Tau's strengths and weaknesses, perhaps even more so than I am (I am, after all, a rookie)

I don't know yet what kind of list he's gonna run, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be as anti-Tau as possible.

What units would you suggest I take to stand a good chance against him?

so far my list looks something like this:
1 tooled out Shas'O (VRT, PR, CIB, SI, HMT)
2x XV8 Helios
2x XV8 Burning Eye
3x 8 FW (2 of the units have Warfish)
2x 1 Piranha (w/ FB + TA)
1x 2 Piranha (w/ BC + TA)
2x Broadside Shas'vre w/ SMS, HMT, TA
1x Hammerhead w/ SMS, DL, MT, TA and Railgun

any suggestions?
Old 24 Mar 2007, 22:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tips against Black Templars?

Seems like a fine general use cadre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
Dark Ace Cypher with the power of cliffing!
[quote=TheCuriousMonke]
[b]"You must bake muffins for the Greater Good."[/
Ace cipher zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2007, 22:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

thanks.

Oh, a little extra info: he has 3500-4000 pts worth of Black Templars, so I'm pretty sure he can bring any model they have to the table.

What should my general tactics be? Seeing as we'll be playing a simple kill-before-you-get-killed type of game and I know his forces excell in close combat, should I just be trying to outmaneouvre him?

Or would a more static approach do the trick a little better?

Sorry for all the questions, but seeing as there's quite a bit of rivalry between the 2 of us I want to at least be able to put up a good fight :P
Old 24 Mar 2007, 22:29   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

For starters, do not divide your fire between infantry units. At all. If you can't muster up enough firepower to take a unit to at least 50%, don't shoot at it at all. Otherwise, you are going to have Templars in your lines by the second turn. Taking small numbers of casualties in squads is to their advantage, since it gives them their odd pursuit move. You have to make sure that they are taking a lot of wounds at one time to counteract this.

If you can find and kill his Chaplain (there will almost certainly be one), you can use the Piranhas to lure his squads off towards his own board edge.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2007, 22:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

the reason I split up my squads into 3 8 man teams was that I played a game against Blood Angels, with 2 squads of 12 instead. The result of which was that even though I had more fire power, I wasn't able to kill off enough of his approaching squads to avoid close combat. As a result, when my opponent did get into close combat, I lost all of my Fire Warriors.

After this I split them up into 3 8 man units, 2 to FoF with and another to give ranged fire support where necessary. Trying this out against Chaos Space Marines (same player, just a diff. army) payed off for me, since this time around only 1 squad got into CC, long enough to move my other squads out of the way.

So basically I split them up so I wouldn't lose all of my troops if I somehow slipped up and allowed my opponent to get too close. However, if you say that it's better to keep them together, for more fire power, then I'll take your word for it
Old 24 Mar 2007, 22:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

As Khanaris said do not split fire on multiple squads however do split fire and destroy any transports. Black Templars are heavily mechanized and you need to keep them off your fire line for as long as possible. If you destroy his transports you might kill some of his marines (do not let him do his zealous rage thing, you did not inflict casualties on them, they took casualties from their vehicle being penetrated or destroyed)
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2007, 22:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

There are 2 main units you should watch out for: 1) Neophyte squads (you can have up to 20 scouts/marines. And that's a lot of guys!) and 2) Crusader mouned Assault Termies with Chaplain.

As whay Khanaris, do NOT shoot all the squads at the same time. Since they have the "Richeous Zeal" rule which allows them to move up to 6" towards the nearest enemy if shot, you could have guys coming too close too fast. Focus on eliminating 1 squad at a time. Also, if he has Crusader mounted termies, blow up that raider as fast as you can. 1) You can force the temries for foot-slog it, giving you a precious few turns of non-assault and 2) If that Crusader got within 6", any unit is toast.

For the Richeous Zeal rule, you can take advantage of that. since they have to move to the closest unit, send an expendable squad up the flank (ex. drones or kroot) and instead of moving closer to you, they move sideways over even backwards depending where your unit is. Pinihas work onderfully here, since bolters shouldn'y be able to hurt you, plus it's fast so you can make them go backwards.
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2007, 22:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

At anything from 1500 and up, he'll have at least one LR crusader. Make sure your Broadsides have the approach lanes covered, and make his termie/command squad walk.

If he's out to get you, you'll be seeing alot of drop pods as well.

Just deal with them as with any other marine army, they're not that different.
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2007, 22:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

alright, so I should use my Piranha (the fusion blaster ones at least) as Tank Hunters if he keeps his vehicles out of LoS with my Heavy Support, then? I mean, if my Railgun toting units can see them they should be able to take them out, ne?

ok... so from what I understand so far:
-2 units of 12, NOT 3 units of 8
-hunt down and kill his Chaplain
-hunt down and destroy his vehicles
-drop drones close behind him to make sure that if he uses that Righteous Zeal ability, he can't get close to my frontlines

after that, I should just keep my distance and out-shoot him, ne?
Old 24 Mar 2007, 22:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Just thought of another tactic to use against HtH armies. When it looks like you are about to be charged position 1 fire warriors or drones if you have them the maximum distance ahead of your squad. Something like this. F's are Fire Warriors or (d) for Drones

F (d)
2"
F(d)
2"
F F F F F
F F F F F

The point of this formation is that your opponent MUST charge the closest model. Which means he can only engage 2 of your squad. Since he will most likely kill them, you will no longer have any models within 2" of the combat thus you will not be "locked" in combat. This lets you take your LD at 7 and hopefully you fail. Since you are not "locked" in combat he cannot run you down (Initiative + d6) and means you can get away from the combat. Since you will have a bonding knife or above 50% you can rally and rapid fire his squad.

By not taking this formation you risk your squad being locked in combat and possibly being wiped out if you get run down by his assault troops losing the whole squad

Hope it helps
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote