Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What should I use kroot for?
Old 24 Mar 2007, 20:00   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default What should I use kroot for?

I read a post that said not to assult with Kroot, but Im not convinced. Kroot were made to be the only unit in the tau army who's good at assulting (besides O'Shovah). If I dont assult with them how do I use them at all? What am I supposed to do against orks? Im not disagreeing with the guy who posted "Never Assult with Kroot" Im just kinda verifying what he said is right. What do you guys think?

If Im wrong I wont be surprised, cause Im new to Warhammer. ???

You know our world is screwed, the sun is exploding, the ozon layer melting, a huge meteor on its way to kill us, and we just want to blow ourselves up............yup I think were ****ed.........
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2007, 21:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: What should I use kroot for?

Some people say do, some people say dont.

It really depends on how the kroots have perfomered in the last game. You see lots of post like: " assault with FW, FW sucks at assault, Drones assault, Drones suck at assault....you get the drift. It all depends on what games people have had this week.

Clearly what you do with your kroot depends on the mission, your opponent and terrain.

I just had a 1000pts game where 10 kroots with 5 hounds charged a unit of 10 black templars that disembarked from their rhinos that had been shot by a railgun shot.

on the charge, my 5 hounds did several kills, I lost a few kroots and the remaining kroots did 1 more wound. It was a tie. Next turn the 5 hounds hit first killing a few more...etc. In the third turn of combat, all I had left were 5 hounds, and he had 3 initiate: I hit first and killed them all.

Result: the 100pts kroot unit charged and killed 160pts of black templars.

I was in heaven!

So kroot on the charge, Yes. Hounds to make it more deadly: Definitely.

Obviously dont charge genestealers.
guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2007, 21:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I agree. it all depends on the situation. If you've got 10 kroot charging 15 assault marines, then you've got problems.but if those kroot were charging gaurdsmen as a follow up to a pulse birrage, then i'd say go. ;D
Old 24 Mar 2007, 21:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Clearly what you do with your kroot depends on the mission, your opponent and terrain.
That is the only thing I will fully second.

In fact, Kroot are NOT meant to be a assaulty unit, meaning it is not their main objective to go out and face the enemy. They should not SEEK CC. The missing armor forbids such a tactic.

The best use (at least the best I found and I play tau for some years now) is to deploy into cover and form a solid base of fire. Those guys carry better guns than guardsmen, for only 1 point more! Make use of it.

If we do some mathhammer (yeah, I know some people donīt like that much....) we find that kroot are actually a better choice for stand and shoot-infantry than firewarriors are. And with some cover they are just as durable.

Still the kroot have WS4 and S4, as well as 2 handweapons. Clearly CC-potential. Use it to charge nearby enemy units when necessary. Judge if it is worth to leave the cover. When the enemy will be likely to charge the kroot, let them. Give them a nice round of rapidfire and when they charge you got cover. But if the enemy aims for other targets like broadsides or pathfinders who cannot get away or are to valuable to be stuck in CC and thus unable to shoot, then take the charge and tie the enemy in CC.

Also kroot can come in handy to finish assaulty units that has been weakened during your shooting phase. Always judge depending on the context: Is it likely that the rapidfire the kroot could offer is not sufficient? Is it a wise choice to leave cover? And so on...

When keeping the former in mind, we can now discuss the deployment of kroot. Whenever able to, use the "Infiltrator"-special rule. This way you can react to the enemies deployment much better and if necessary even counter your opponents own infiltrators. Do not try to get close to the enemy though. Your birdies will be most likely to end up as fried chicken that way (hmmm, anyone else getting some appetite?^^).
Rather deploy them in a way that you can efficiently support other units and vice versa.

Last but not least letīs look on the options kroot offer:
First we have the shaper. He is decent in CC and can be given a pulserifle or carbine. In fact the only reason anyone takes him is the Ld-bonus. so donīt waste points on gimmicks like pulserifles. Only if you have the points spare after choosing all other units in your army you can go for it freely^^.

Next are kroothounds. I do not recommend them, as they are nothing else than kroot with a little more CC-capability and no guns whatsoever. I for myself like the guns best, so a clear no on this guys.

Finally the krootox. Sweet model, big gun, but nonetheless a bad choice to make. A strength 7 rapidfire weapon is not that great (we can have tons of such weapons on crisis, with assault 2!). Again the ox will add some more CC-power, but that is not what we are looking for. Also he prohibits infiltration, not good at all. Sorry big fella!

Last thing to be discussed is unit strength: I recommend 10 per unit. Shaper are not a must have, but wonīt hurt either (I take non, though).
"Why?" you ask? Well minimum squad size means minimum costs, minimum target priority for the enemy and if someone is out for them and brings flamethrowers (well, I really want some fried chicken now, seriously...) you will not loose many points. If you want to bring more kroot, bring more units of 10! The only downside is that they will have to take Ld-tests a little more easily, but that is not that bad, considering that every shot wasted on a low-point unit as kroot is not bringing your opponent any closer to victory.

At least that is my personal oppinion, with no guarantee at all. But it sure wored for me!

Greetz, Trogdor (whoīs now out to seriously BURNiNATE some chicken)

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2007, 22:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Also, if you are facing a massive charge of Genestealers or other asaulty-units, the Kroot have a betterchance at survival than any fw will. It depends on the situation, luck and many other things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
Dark Ace Cypher with the power of cliffing!
[quote=TheCuriousMonke]
[b]"You must bake muffins for the Greater Good."[/
Ace cipher zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2007, 22:09   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thanks guys I appreciate it ;D

You know our world is screwed, the sun is exploding, the ozon layer melting, a huge meteor on its way to kill us, and we just want to blow ourselves up............yup I think were ****ed.........
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2007, 01:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sometimes kroot should seek assault. If you drop forest terrain everywhere(as is a great idea with kroot), and some troubleome unit happens to deploy close to it, consider dropping kroot exactly 12" away from those models on the other side of the woods. Your ability to move through cover will allow a first turn charge, something rarely expected of tau armies, and all the handier because of it.

That said, I generally use them as firebases, assaulting only if a good opportunity presents itself. Gotta be wary of being stuck out of combat and cover.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2007, 01:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

kroot can never have a 1. turn assault, as you have to deploy MORE than 12" away from any enemy unit.

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2007, 02:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes they can - a first Tau turn anyway, since your opponent could move closer to you during their turn.

Otherwise, I can't really disagree with anything said. Kroot have the potential to assult, just like vespid. They have a couple of interesting stat wavers in their favor (again, like vespid), but also have terrible, if any armor saves (hey there again vespid). Really, it always will be a call based on circumstance, as neither of our mercenaries are actually capable of hand to hand, but can make good use of their advantages when oppertunities present themselves.

And since it hasn't been clearly stated, most people would rather have kroot at a fire base because of field craft. Simply, the fact that you can shoot out of forests while they can't shoot back makes for a fine unit, especially when it can reach upwards of 20 models.

Arctic Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2007, 02:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Why do people think Tau suck at HtH. Sure we have a weapon skill of 2 and an I of 2 but that doesn't mean we suck. We hit most armies on a 4+ and go before a power fist does and we are as fast as an ork without Waagh.

I have had a squad of 8 pathfinders fight off Lictors and a squad of fire warriors fight off striking scorpions. Sure I try to avoid HtH but we certainly don't suck at it
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote