Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau jump troops
Old 24 Mar 2007, 18:50   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Tau jump troops

Hello...

In the near future I would like to convert some of my tau miniatures into something that would work by the Vespid-rules...So that would be a normal Firewarrior profile with WS, T and I added but Ld and Sv reduced...

The miniature I dream would be builded with the following components: Tau Firewarrior legs, arms, helmet, torso. Then I would add the old jetpack from the Stealthsuit representing the Tau-jumppack to justify the Jump Infantry rule and the Fleet of Wing rule (Afterburner!!!).

The reduced save could come from leaving the shoulder pad off...thereby producing a lighter-looking model (arghh...pathfinders leave home without that pad and does have the greater save!!!) that is able to be skyborne-like.

A sort of suit (Cadian Torso maybe) could provide me with the increased stat line as those benefits is normally seen with suit-models...and a larger lens on the helmet or longer antenna could be responsible for the increased Initiative...

MAybe only the Leader (Strain leader Vespid) sould have a modified helmet to reprisent fast-focussing-optical-senses as he would be the only one justifiing the units use off marker-lights rule-wise and has the increased Ld value.

Am I on track? I would like to hear any comments and ideas on this one before embarking on an expensive and time-eating conversion project!!!

Tassadar
Tassadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2007, 19:09   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Tau jump troops

That sounds pretty cool to me.

"The experimental IX-12 personal jetpack is currently undergoing field testing in most Tau septs. Unlike it's larger predecessors on Crisis and Stealth suits, the IX-12 does not provide a more stable firing platform, but is more akin to the jump packs of other races in the galaxy, most notably the Imperial design. Units equipped with the IX-12 are expected to be hard-hitting and fast, and so are equipped with advanced short-ranged weaponry used to close in with isolated enemy units and tear them apart in a deadly hail of firepower. The IX-12 also has an advanced thrusting system (fleet of wing), allowing the equipped unit to escape an advancing enemy if their firepower proves too little."

That give a bit of a fluff justification... as for the model, you could chalk up the different stats to their training, or perhaps only Tau of exceptional ability are selected for the unit, hence the improved stats? Then You could use pretty-much a standard Fire Warrior, just take away the shoulder-pad and helmets for the squad, and give the "Shas'ui" strain leader a fancy helmet. Love the idea of the XV-15 stealth suit packs though. What would you use for the gun?
Commander Lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2007, 19:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

You could use a Pulse Carbine for the weapon. With that you can do a huge amount of damage because you will be able to get in close and fire then get away without fear of being hit again. Also the pinning ability would make this unit much more durable. They would almost have to be Shas'ui level soldiers and have a reduced squad size. They don't need extra WS, BS, Ld (or less) just a lower save representing 'lighter' body armour.

I made some rules and proxied them awhile back, but they proved to be a bit 'too good' even though I had reduced the Sv to 6. The trouble was that your opponent can never get to your line if to keep flying about and shooting. They were kind of unfair, so I left them at home so to speak. Great for house rules though...

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2007, 20:05   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well....First off....I would use legal rules...those of the Vespids....just use a different kind of model...But my models has to be realistic as Im a great perfectionist and likes to have cool and unique models if possible. So to be totally clear Im using all the rules under the Vespid entry and not some house-rules with different armament.

Nice fluff story with identification class type number on...Ho ho...they are all-ready quite real!!

For the gun I will be using the Vespid Neutron Blaster (VNB) rules...And I think I could build it up from a normal carbine stock...cut off the launcher put in a crystal (either made from green-stuff or made by a suitable piece of lava-rock/granite shard (which comes from a fish-store as bottom-layer in the fish-tank - rest could be used in a city-themed scenery-board)) and then create a pincher-like structure from plastic-card to "hold" it...

Half the models will be mounted on two-three inch long metal-wire poles to imply their flying movement...maybe bend a leg to get some flying-like poses (like assault marines contra normal marine models)...

Glad U like the idea and thanks for replies...

Happy Gaming!

Tassadar
Tassadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2007, 21:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

The vespid Nueron blaster can only be used by Vespids. In the codex it says the crystals vibrate at the frequency of Vespid wings. And shouldn't it be Fleet of Jetpack instead of Wing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
Dark Ace Cypher with the power of cliffing!
[quote=TheCuriousMonke]
[b]"You must bake muffins for the Greater Good."[/
Ace cipher zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2007, 22:37   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace cipher zer0
The vespid Nueron blaster can only be used by Vespids. In the codex it says the crystals vibrate at the frequency of Vespid wings. And shouldn't it be Fleet of Jetpack instead of Wing?
Well, obviously, it would be. I put the "fleet of wing" in there to explain what I meant with the "advanced thrusting system".

As for the guns... I'd have to agree that using the actual vespid-style of weapons would be a no-no... If you had access to some XV25 burst cannons, but made the end a single-hole instead of the 4 small barrels, that would look like a cool cannon of sorts.

But yeah Tassadar, that is a really cool idea. Keep me updated on your progress, and feel free to use the little fluff bit!
Old 24 Mar 2007, 23:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm eager to hear how one plans to justify the leadership values.

Otherwise, sawed-off fusion blaster or somesuch other substitute seems the best way to deal with the gun. I think it bears a close enough purpose without looking too goofy to work.

Arctic Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2007, 00:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Why not use the "glow rod" from a Necron pack... I have no idea where you would put it, but it does the "glowy" thing for the Neutron blaster. Now the fluff for that gun is that the blaster is a down powered fusion blaster that draws it's power from the backpack and the pack can only supply so much power.

The leadership issue... just different training... nothing more, nothing less.
Old 25 Mar 2007, 15:43   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Lancer
One could simply claim that Tau moving at such high speeds can be a little skittish, despite their advanced training... afterall, they are an experimental unit and are using experimental equipment, and so when the come under fire, they are more naturally disposed to getting the heck out of danger, particularily if their team leader is killed.
Old 25 Mar 2007, 16:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Lancer

Otherwise, sawed-off fusion blaster or somesuch other substitute seems the best way to deal with the gun. I think it bears a close enough purpose without looking too goofy to work.
If you are running these guys as substitute Vespids, I have a suggestion for the weapon.

What about a belt-fed sawed-off rail rifle? It would look pretty good, you could use some of the existing arms that have the weapon 'shooting from the hip'. The shorter barrel would mean that the projectile couldn't get as much speed, maybe about a quarter the speed of light rather than half of it (or whatever the velocity is. I've read somewhere that a railGUN is supposed to fire at 90% the speed of light), but because it's still such a small, fast projectile it punches through armor with ease. The range could also be justified, as the shorter magnetic coil destabilizes the trajectory of the shot, making it vastly innaccurate at anything distant. Think old musket barrel-loaders.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote