Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question about 2 vs. 3 weapons on a Crisis
Old 24 Mar 2007, 15:01   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Question about 2 vs. 3 weapons on a Crisis

hi umm this may be prity noobay but how come all the people who use XV8s only give em 2 combat systems eg.
i would have
shas'el
msl pod, plasma rifle an a cyclonic ion blaster
hardwired MT an target lock.

an another person would have
shas'el
msl pod, plasma rifle and a target lock??

mi first one deals with enemy light vehicles small troops an hard troops
but why do peoples use the latter?
i know that i can only fire 2 systems at once but the ranges are different and mi firing changes dependant on enemy range number.

but any way please replie
Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.
shas-el-shader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2007, 15:50   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: A quick Q

Hi, welcome to the TO forums. Before answering your question. I just want to clear up something. I assume you mean the Multi-tracker and not the Target lock. It's the MT that allows you to fire 2 weapons, the TL just lets you shoot a separate target from the rest of the squad.

I'll also assume you mean a hard wired version of the support system since only three systems can be installed on a XV8 unless it is hard-wired.

Right to answer your question my reasons are probably some what different to most other peoples. but I avoid your config for a couple of reason. The Cyclic Ion is not that powerful. It's good against Guard, Orkses and your basic Eldar and Dark Eldar but that's about it IMO. It's also quite short ranged, and I'd rather NOT get that close to orks, or any other CC geared army since this is the big weakness of the tau.

Then there's the fact you are technically wasting points on buying a weapon you may use once or some times not at all during the course of the battle. Points that could be better spent else where.

The PR/MP combo is a good all-rounder config capable of laying down a good amount of fire power in a single turn especially in a squad of three identically equipped suits.

Then there's the points cost, your config is 102pts, where as without the CIB it's 15pts less. Thats enough to pay for a Shield Generator and a HW Drone Controller for the said Shas'el

Personally if I were to take a 3 weapon system battlesuit I'd probably go with a Twin-linked Plasma Rifle and Missile Pod or a TL Missile Pod and Plasma Rifle combo each with a Hard-wired Multi-tracker. that's still 5pts and 17pts cheaper respectively than your Shasl'el and will give me a better chance at taking out an advancing squad. Particularly the heaver armoured types like Space Marines and Necrons. The added benefit is all weapon system will fire in a single turn and you're not wasting points on a unused weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
"Warning: Possible side-effects include: Armor Penetration, vaporisation, localised crater formation, vehicular exit-wounds, charred husks, slag, ignition of environing atmosphere and occasional death. Staring down barrel may induce nausea and/or explosive diarhea or other flu-like symptoms. Repeated firing while hugging primary coils may result in genetic deteriorations in as much as 12% of the population. Always keep away from face"
dsherratt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2007, 16:04   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

wow that was a brilliant answer and insight into ur tacticall apllications of an xv8 ;D thank you
i see the logicallity opening up :P
Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.
Old 24 Mar 2007, 17:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, first things first: PLEASE watch your writing. It makes it really difficult and unpleasant to read your posts (as well as it lets me assume you are a 8-year old infant).
Had to get that out of my system^^

@ configurations:

I play only shas´els, wither with Plasmarifle, missile pod, targeting array and HW multitracker (mostly), or fusion blaster, missile pod, target array and HW multitracker (rarely, for tankbusting).

This configs are cheap, hit hard and are well protected due to their IC-status (but I still don´t have to cry when they die, they are under 100 points each^^).
If you want to get as much perfomance for as few points as possible this is the way to go.

Greetz, Trogdor

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2007, 17:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

As Trogdor said, read the forum rules. Your current standards of spelling and grammar are basically unacceptable, and double posting is also no allowed. It can take a day or more to get replies, as this is a forum rather than a sleazy message board.

As for weapons systems, the reasoning for taking only two is probably because most people feel that they can either get enough milliage out of two weapons, or simply since the cost can be prohibitave. I used to use a Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod and Fusion Blaster, but it's by no means that efficient.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2007, 17:36   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

sorry for my spelling it is really late and no i am not 8! >
Old 24 Mar 2007, 19:32   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Question about 2 vs. 3 weapons on a Crisis

Welcome to the Forums!

For the most part, that third hardpoint is usually occupied by a support system that you can not hard-wire. This generally gives you a more effective combination than just loading up on weapons.

You don't have to be a perfect speller to post here, but that is why we have the spell-check. Just take a little more time with your posts. You will get more replies and the replies you get will be more helpful to you.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2007, 20:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Heh, yeah work on the grammer and you'll get along great.

I only ever use two weapons because that's all you'll ever be firing in one turn. The third is usually a support system that cannot be hard wired (Shield Gen.) . That is on my commander though, I usually have a target lock, multi tracker, or targetting array on the Shas'uis, due to the lack of the ability to hard wire an shas'ui.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2007, 05:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Should also note that Firefox 2.0 has built-in spell-check. One less button click, works everywhere you type text.

To your question I can't add too much. Basically when you think about it what more could you honestly need than two weapons? What possible threat could be so big that you'd sacrifice other things in your army (GOOD things mind you like FW and tanks) just to make one unit stretched thin? Nothing. There isn't a threat in this game that could make it a viable option to make one unit with a decent save a target that just isn't effective due to splitting duties that takes away a combined-arms approach. If you aren't getting enough damage out of your suit it's not usually the suit's fault, it's more than likely just not being used correctly.

More simply the average number of turns in a game is six. Assume somehow that your crisis suit lives for six turns AND has clear shots at things every turn. Now if you give your crisis two weapons and a multi-tracker you get to fire two weapons six times each (though more than likely due to range and target you'll be doing less, but let's just roll with it). Even if you had five shots total that's NOTHING compared to the possible twelve (or even twenty-four) shots of a single Firewarrior squad. Basically, the Crisis is never going to have enough shots in a game to take on an army by itself...but the rest of your army WILL. It's a better idea to make the crisis good at busting specific things and assisting some other aspect of your army than taking on an army by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote