Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Vehicle upgrades - WYSIWYG
Old 23 Mar 2007, 22:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to gerrylum
Default Tau Vehicle upgrades - WYSIWYG

I'm just about done painting a 1200 point army and I swear I'm gonna start playing soon (I just can't bring myself to play with a partially painted army). My question is, if I want to have some upgrades on my vehicles - namely Multi-Tracker and Decoy launcher - do those have to be represented on the model itself, or can I just say that the vehicle has it?
Old 23 Mar 2007, 22:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Tau Vehicle upgrades - WYSIWYG

Forge world sells the stuff but it doesn't look that great for the price you pay. There is nothing to say that a MT is not an internal computer system integrated into the devilfish itself, decoy launchers can also be mounted internally like modern fighters of today are. They carry their chaff/flares internally and drop them from positions on the fighter. So I think you are fine just with the pts cost and don't have to model it
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2007, 22:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

That's what I was hoping since I didn't want to have to magnetize half a dozen points on the hull to mount spires and such.

Another question along the same lines with Seeker Missiles. Do they have to be represented on the model as well, or could one say they are also housed in an internal missile bay?
Old 23 Mar 2007, 22:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrylum
That's what I was hoping since I didn't want to have to magnetize half a dozen points on the hull to mount spires and such.

Another question along the same lines with Seeker Missiles. Do they have to be represented on the model as well, or could one say they are also housed in an internal missile bay?
Seekers I would mount since every tau vehicle sprue comes with them I think and they are a weapons system so you should model your army with the right weapons.

Here is a picture of my piranha carrying 2 seeker missiles, hung underneath the front wings

Old 23 Mar 2007, 23:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Nuts... You're right they come with seekers, but only one per vehicle!

I guess I have enough to at least do 2 on my piranha. How did you mount them? Are they removeable?
Old 23 Mar 2007, 23:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:

I guess I have enough to at least do 2 on my piranha. How did you mount them? Are they removeable?
There appears to be little slots below the wings of the vehicles where they fit nicely. No I can't remove them, be fun to pull them off and throw them at the enemy I am shooting like they are being fired, but alas I glued them on.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 23:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Unfortunately, the only vehicle you can easily take seekers on-and-off of is the Sky Ray, since that turret has clamp points for the missiles (most awesome design feature EVER!). Everything else needs glue, pins, or magnets.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2007, 23:21   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:

My advice on this score is to buy a Skyray the next time you want to buy a Hammerhead. They are the same price, but the Skyray box contains all of the parts to build a Hammerhead. And you get an extra six Seeker Missiles out of the deal, along with a lot of other useful bits.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2007, 23:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Y'know...and I should have thought of this before....but mounting skyray like seeker racks on other skimmers, while a bit of conversion would be required, would look really nice.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2007, 23:49   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to RedDragon44089

Tyndmyr, I disagree. Most other vehicles other than the skyray can only have two seekers ( I think, not certain) it's really not enough to constitute an entire rack, and I think it would look large and bulky an a small and sleek looking model like a piranha.
RedDragon44089 is offline   Reply With Quote