Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

In a farsight army why would the kroot be restricted?
Old 22 Mar 2007, 14:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior
Default In a farsight army why would the kroot be restricted?

fluffwise the farsight enclaves have done quite a bit of mercenary work wouldn't that mean that they fight along side other mercenarys even more so then a regular tau? and if the main forcus of this army was to be better overall at c combat why were the kroot restricted?

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Rogue_FireWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2007, 15:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: In a farsight army why would the kroot be restricted?

Because they don't have access to the Kroot, mostly in a literal sense. The Kroot homeworld is afterall in the Tau empire, and their supposed to be mercenaries exclusive to the Tau (that was the deal to join the empire). Those Kroot Merc.'s that go off and work for other factions (like the Imperium) are technically illegal, and kept secret from the Tau. If word got out that the Kroot started working with Farsight, it would really piss off their Tau bosses in the Empire. Also, the Farsight enclave is far off from Tau space, IIRC. From what we know, the Tau haven't sent anyone to investigate Farsight yet, so what's the likely hood that the Kroot (in any sizable number) would run all the way their on their own? Third, IMO at least, Farsight prides himself on his martial prowess, and the prowess of his FW's, why would he then go around and hire hth Merc.'s when he's already training his men for that. I think it would kind of dishonor his men, don't you?
Old 22 Mar 2007, 17:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to webkilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
Because they don't have access to the Kroot, mostly in a literal sense. The Kroot homeworld is afterall in the Tau empire, and their supposed to be mercenaries exclusive to the Tau (that was the deal to join the empire). Those Kroot Merc.'s that go off and work for other factions (like the Imperium) are technically illegal, and kept secret from the Tau. If word got out that the Kroot started working with Farsight, it would really Aulma off their Tau bosses in the Empire. Also, the Farsight enclave is far off from Tau space, IIRC. From what we know, the Tau haven't sent anyone to investigate Farsight yet, so what's the likely hood that the Kroot (in any sizable number) would run all the way their on their own? Third, IMO at least, Farsight prides himself on his martial prowess, and the prowess of his FW's, why would he then go around and hire hth Merc.'s when he's already training his men for that. I think it would kind of dishonor his men, don't you?
best fluff reason ever
Old 22 Mar 2007, 17:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by webkilla
Quote:
Because they don't have access to the Kroot, mostly in a literal sense. The Kroot homeworld is afterall in the Tau empire, and their supposed to be mercenaries exclusive to the Tau (that was the deal to join the empire). Those Kroot Merc.'s that go off and work for other factions (like the Imperium) are technically illegal, and kept secret from the Tau. If word got out that the Kroot started working with Farsight, it would really Aulma off their Tau bosses in the Empire. Also, the Farsight enclave is far off from Tau space, IIRC. From what we know, the Tau haven't sent anyone to investigate Farsight yet, so what's the likely hood that the Kroot (in any sizable number) would run all the way their on their own? Third, IMO at least, Farsight prides himself on his martial prowess, and the prowess of his FW's, why would he then go around and hire hth Merc.'s when he's already training his men for that. I think it would kind of dishonor his men, don't you?
best fluff reason ever
Apart from the fact that its well known that certain elements of the Kroot empire operate as mercs outside of Tau control, they aren't supposed to but its well established in the fluff that a lot of Kroot work for other races as mercs, so it is entirely feasible that some Kroot would work with O'Shovah given the chance.
As to the point about O'Shovah hiring them, well it would make sense because he has very little resources both in manpower (or Tau power) and equipment wise to fall back on, every loss hurts, so preserving his Fire Warriors by using Kroot as mercs would make a lot of sense

Rikimaru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2007, 19:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i simply think he should be able to use the Kroot Merc. list.
dragoniccam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2007, 21:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoniccam
I disagree.

Quote:
Those Kroot Merc.'s that go off and work for other factions (like the Imperium) are technically illegal, and kept secret from the Tau. If word got out that the Kroot started working with Farsight, it would really Aulma off their Tau bosses in the Empire. Also, the Farsight enclave is far off from Tau space, IIRC. From what we know, the Tau haven't sent anyone to investigate Farsight yet, so what's the likely hood that the Kroot (in any sizable number) would run all the way their on their own?
I agree.
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2007, 23:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

If the Farsight Enclave is far separated from Tau space, and Farsight was in need of elements of their combat expertise, what would be the problem?

The Kroot send mercenaries off to other parts of space for one reason: Food. They need different sources of genetic material in order to evolve. They've already devoured everything of importance within the realm of the Tau Empire, and if they don't get fresh genes every so often they will stagnate.

Farsight is often engaged in combat on distant worlds...FAR FROM TAU SPACE!!!

I think it would be an excellent idea. Farsight finds out about the mercs. Personally, he doesn't care: So long as they are not fighting against the Tau, I don't think Farsight would really give a damn what the Kroot do on their own (expecially since he himself is a self-formed exile of the empire. If he reported the Kroot, who would believe him should the Ethereals say otherwise?). He's in need of support, but without the resources of the Empire can't really requisition that many troops. So he sends out an offer to the mercs, offering them a wealth of corpses and all the spoils they could desire. Knowing that there is little worry of him betraying their secret, they accept, and the Farsight Enclaves supported by an entire warsphere of Kroot decend upon the enemies of the Greater Good. >
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2007, 23:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru
so it is entirely feasible that some Kroot would work with O'Shovah given the chance.
Yes, I'd say it's possible, but not in any significant way. I.E. maybe once upon a time, some Kroot Merc's were in the area and took a job with Farsight. Mission done, they move on, end of story. The point I'm trying to make is that they wouldn’t be a regular element in the Farsight army, thus they don't belong in a Farsight army.

Quote:
As to the point about O'Shovah hiring them, well it would make sense because he has very little resources both in manpower (or Tau power) and equipment wise to fall back on, every loss hurts, so preserving his Fire Warriors by using Kroot as merc’s would make a lot of sense
Where is it ever indicated that he is short on man power? And as for merc's yea, Kroot could be used to fill the ranks, but so could any other Merc., right? So what are you more likely going to see in a Farsight Army? Kroot Merc's who would be rare in his empire, or other types of Merc's that would have easier access to his enclave, and have nothing to lose (like their homeworld) by working with him?

Quote:
Okay, but why? Support of your opinion would be nice . Heck I think the Tau should have access to the Kroot Merc. list, because eventually these kroot re-integrate into the empire, but unfortunatly, my Tau army can naver get Kroot snipers :'(.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_Alpha
and if they don't get fresh genes every so often they will stagnate.
I've never herd that before, . I don't think kroot stagnate, it's just that some species have hit dead ends, i.e. they can't evolve much further, such as the hounds and ox.

Quote:
So long as they are not fighting against the Tau, I don't think Farsight would really give a damn what the Kroot do on their own (especially since he himself is a self-formed exile of the empire. If he reported the Kroot, who would believe him should the Ethereals say otherwise?).
I agree, Farsight wouldn’t give a darn if the Kroot joined him. Nor would he report them to the Tau (especially since he's already cut of contact with the Empire). The kroot however would have a problem with this. If they started working with Farsight regularly, word will eventually get out (through rogue traders and such), and that will lead to big trouble for the Kroot still in the Empire.

Seeing as these Kroot Merc's do come back to their homeworlds (to bring back the new genes they've collected), I don't think they want to stir up trouble at home.

Quote:
He's in need of support, but without the resources of the Empire can't really requisition that many troops. So he sends out an offer to the merc’s, offering them a wealth of corpses and all the spoils they could desire. Knowing that there is little worry of him betraying their secret, they accept, and the Farsight Enclaves supported by an entire warsphere of Kroot descend upon the enemies of the Greater Good. >
Thier's nothing to indicate Farsight has a shortage of troops. If anything, he lacks sufficient amounts of Tau high tech. gear (like hover tanks), battlesuits aren’t even a problem for him.
Kroot have nothing to fear from Farsight talking, he stopped talking to the Tau Empire ages ago.
The problem of getting to the Farsight enclave still exists. It's not exactly next door.
Lastly, the Farsight Enclave does not serve the Greater Good, nothing indicates that they do, so they are defiantly not "descending on the enemies of the greater good".

Old 23 Mar 2007, 00:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

From what I can tell there are two kinds of Kroot. Empire Auxiliaries and the Rogue Mercs. Now the following may not be 100% accurate, but it's what I've gathered from the fluff I've read. The Auxiliaries are honouring their pledge to the tau, although I imagine some sort of diplomatic channel would be used to get them into a tau force. It's like co-ordinating with an allied nation. They've pledged their support to you, but you still need to make that phonecall. Farsight lacks these diplomatic channels and thus is unable to call in these empire kroot. The mercs are a lil different since they operate under the empire's radar, why would they have any reservation about working for Farsight? As was said earlier Farsight wouldn't exactly rat them out since he's broken off all ties with the empire.

Perhaps Farsight himself is the problem. If rumours are to be believed he may be creating a Fire Caste centric society out in the enclaves. Perhaps he just wants to keep aliens out of his business as a matter of pride. It could all be part of some "Tau Fire Caste supremecist complex" in old red.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2007, 00:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to orkkrusher

Quote:
Quote:
so it is entirely feasible that some Kroot would work with O'Shovah given the chance.
Yes, I'd say it's possible, but not in any significant way. I.E. maybe once upon a time, some Kroot Merc's were in the area and took a job with Farsight. Mission done, they move on, end of story. The point I'm trying to make is that they wouldn’t be a regular element in the Farsight army, thus they don't belong in a Farsight army.

Quote:
As to the point about O'Shovah hiring them, well it would make sense because he has very little resources both in manpower (or Tau power) and equipment wise to fall back on, every loss hurts, so preserving his Fire Warriors by using Kroot as merc’s would make a lot of sense
Where is it ever indicated that he is short on man power? And as for merc's yea, Kroot could be used to fill the ranks, but so could any other Merc., right? So what are you more likely going to see in a Farsight Army? Kroot Merc's who would be rare in his empire, or other types of Merc's that would have easier access to his enclave, and have nothing to lose (like their homeworld) by working with him?

Quote:
Okay, but why? Support of your opinion would be nice . Heck I think the Tau should have access to the Kroot Merc. list, because eventually these kroot re-integrate into the empire, but unfortunatly, my Tau army can naver get Kroot snipers :'(.

Quote:
and if they don't get fresh genes every so often they will stagnate.
I've never herd that before, . I don't think kroot stagnate, it's just that some species have hit dead ends, i.e. they can't evolve much further, such as the hounds and ox.

Quote:
So long as they are not fighting against the Tau, I don't think Farsight would really give a damn what the Kroot do on their own (especially since he himself is a self-formed exile of the empire. If he reported the Kroot, who would believe him should the Ethereals say otherwise?).
I agree, Farsight wouldn’t give a darn if the Kroot joined him. Nor would he report them to the Tau (especially since he's already cut of contact with the Empire). The kroot however would have a problem with this. If they started working with Farsight regularly, word will eventually get out (through rogue traders and such), and that will lead to big trouble for the Kroot still in the Empire.

Seeing as these Kroot Merc's do come back to their homeworlds (to bring back the new genes they've collected), I don't think they want to stir up trouble at home.

Quote:
He's in need of support, but without the resources of the Empire can't really requisition that many troops. So he sends out an offer to the merc’s, offering them a wealth of corpses and all the spoils they could desire. Knowing that there is little worry of him betraying their secret, they accept, and the Farsight Enclaves supported by an entire warsphere of Kroot descend upon the enemies of the Greater Good. >
Thier's nothing to indicate Farsight has a shortage of troops. If anything, he lacks sufficient amounts of Tau high tech. gear (like hover tanks), battlesuits aren’t even a problem for him.
Kroot have nothing to fear from Farsight talking, he stopped talking to the Tau Empire ages ago.
The problem of getting to the Farsight enclave still exists. It's not exactly next door.
Lastly, the Farsight Enclave does not serve the Greater Good, nothing indicates that they do, so they are defiantly not "descending on the enemies of the greater good".

No!!!!!!!! They woudn't want to be seen anywhere near him. It could endanger there whole race and jepordize everything if somebody in the Tau Empire knew he was near him. I agree with this heavily.