Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Never assault with Kroot
Old 21 Mar 2007, 08:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha
Default Never assault with Kroot

As the designated "close combateurs" of the Tau empire, the Kroot really do get the Shaft'o. I've seen them used as meat. I just want to say: Stop killing the Kroot! They have families! The have children! They have a poor pension plan, but the do have one!

Kroot serve one of the most vital roles in my gaming strategy (Kauyon). No one unit in the Tau army is 'expendible', so many of them have to serve overlapping roles. But, of all my units, the Kroot have but one purpose. Kill everything.

I have well over 80 kroot, 3 'tox, 12 hounds, and still growing. My kroot are my pride and joy. Nowhere else in the Tau army will you find a more efficient anti-infantry fighter. They infiltrate. They gain bonuses in certain types of cover, including making them invisible/unshootable. They unleash mass dakka, mass melee, and have the same leadership advantages as Fire warriors, short of a bonding knife.

I've seen them thrown at enemies like so many bullets. Marched into the open as a living wall (South park the movie comes to mind, stupid racist Tau players :P )Here's a few suggestions for players to try. You might find they actually work, and find that you really do want Kroot in your army.

If your enemy has infiltrators, try infiltrating three squads of them, one 15 man, and two tens. All of that is less that 250 points. Even if not, field them anyway. If you get a lucky first infiltration, spread that 15 man squad across the center of the board. Where can he deploy now? Nowhere, he has to find safe spaces in his deployment zone. Meanwhile, you drop your other squads in buildings, ruins or forests, with fields of fire covering the big Kroot squad in the center.

Say that first turn the enemy starts opening up. Either he shoots the squad in the center do hell, or he doesn't if he does, he's just wasted his entire first turn shooting a unit that was only about 100 or so points anyway, most likely not even completely killing it. (unless there is NO terrain on the board, this is not very likely)

If you get first turn, open up on his forces with those side units, and do what any brilliant strategist would do with the center squad. RUN. LIKE. HELL. Those kroot wanna live, and you best make sure they do as long as they can. If there is a nice chunk of cover nearby, dive on it, hunker down, and prepare for a long night.

Draw the enemy out into the open. Bait the trap, and swing his assault forces into your ideal firing range. Don't get line of sight? Move to defensible positions, and take advantage of the fact that your enemy is not killing your big guns or critical scoring units.

Take advantage of the massed Dakka. A ten-man unit of kroot at rapid-fire range kills more Terminators and marines than a Battlesuit with twin-linked plasma and a targeting array, with just as much defense. Then, when they get close...DON'T assault! Unless you are up against eldar with plasma grenades (or other tau, in which case it really doesn't matter), you will either strike first
or simultaneously as they tromp through the rubble or brush, trying to get at you. And if they're seven inches back in the woods? Good luck trying to hit them with anything other than barrage weapons...in which case you're wasting your barrage weapon!

These little guys get so ripped on, it's not funny. Share the love. Hug your kroot. And join in the savage devouring of your foes. ;D
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2007, 09:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Never assault with Kroot

You know, this article has made me seriously consider taking Kroot - into my Mech army (blasphemy, I would have called out ten minutes ago!).

You definitely deserve Karma for this.

Just one thing:

Quote:
Take advantage of the massed Dakka. A ten-man unit of kroot at rapid-fire range kills more Terminators and marines than a Battlesuit with twin-linked plasma and a targeting array, with just as much defense. Then, when they get close...DON'T assault! Unless you are up against eldar with plasma grenades (or other tau, in which case it really doesn't matter), you will either strike first
This is wrong - the Kroot manage about ONE Kill. The Crisis suit... Alright, manages about one kill, as well, but the numbers after the comata are higher... *g*
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2007, 12:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_Alpha

...If you get first turn, open up on his forces with those side units, and do what any brilliant strategist would do with the center squad. RUN. LIKE. HELL. Those kroot wanna live, and you best make sure they do as long as they can. If there is a nice chunk of cover nearby, dive on it, hunker down, and prepare for a long night.

Draw the enemy out into the open. Bait the trap, and swing his assault forces into your ideal firing range. Don't get line of sight? Move to defensible positions, and take advantage of the fact that your enemy is not killing your big guns or critical scoring units...
this reminds me of the battle of cannae

Click for animation of the battle of Cannae

Anyway. I run a mech army at the moment. I think I will try and bring kroot now
Old 21 Mar 2007, 12:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Taukki

I run Hybrid(formerly hyprid :P) Army and I do just what you do! except I have only two units of ten on the flanks. Sometimes even behind the enemy! I leave my center "open, with only firewarriors there. I give the image that I'm going to attack on both flanks. Then I just close the trap and kill the enemy by turn four. (Done that more than once!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valar
What's going on here? I've seen a kid, breasts, chopped eels, and a naked girl :P

Taukki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2007, 15:08   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Beautiful article. And yes, that is exactly what Kroot should do in my opinion. They aren't a sacrificial unit, but one of the better shooting units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Quote:
This is wrong - the Kroot manage about ONE Kill. The Crisis suit... Alright, manages about one kill, as well, but the numbers after the comata are higher... *g*
10 Kroot at rapid fire range vs. Marines (T4, 3+ AS): 20 shots at BS3=10 hits. 10 hits at S4 vs. T4 = 5 wounds. 5 wounds at 3+ AS= 1.6666667 dead Marines.

1 Crisis suit with twin-linked plasma and targeting array vs. Marines (T4, 3+ AS): 2 shots at BS4=1.33333 hits, re-rolling 0.66667 hits = an additional 0.444444 hits = 1.777777 hits. 1.77777 hits at S6 vs. T4 = 1.481481481 wounds, no saves = 1.481481481 dead Marines.

;D :P
Old 21 Mar 2007, 15:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

or you could assault the marines... the hounds go first.. and instead of ONE ST4 shot from the guns, you get 36 from the hounds alone who smack first before the marines... and any surviver kroot afterwords.

Best kill record for my kroot in assault: 2 tactical squads and a devastator squad.

Most memorable: Grand master of Dark angels.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 16:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

My best? Three salamander tactical sqads and the lascannons on a razorack. This was in one game.

To the OP, I use my kroot in the denied infiltration method you described, that's why they die turn 1-2. They've had Death Company sent after them and it's hard to run away from jump packs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2007, 17:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Kroots dont even need to deploy in such numbers to be effective.

I usually deploy my 12, and they've been great everytime. For the most part this is b/c they are so bleeding cheap.

They don't do well being shot at, and they don't do well getting hit in melee... but their offensive power is awesome for their costs. Bolters! nuff said. and in CC, you dont want to be charging, b/c you'll get your 3 attacks per piece if they survive. if you just double tap from cover, then you get 2 on your turn, and 2 more on their turn (almost) guaranteed.

Great harrasser - the enemy cannot ignore them b/c they can output some damage, but if they do respond, they only manage to take out maybe 100 pts.

Try it, even if you can only deploy one small unit.
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2007, 17:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Heres the tactica I posted on LO, I have always loved Kroot and they are much underestimated, anyway here it is:

Kroot Tactica for newcomers to Tau

Kroot are one of the harder Tau units for a beginner to get the best use out of, the usual problem is that beginners and newcomers to the Tau army see the Kroot as the close combat arm of the Tau list, and while this is true to a limited degree the strength of Kroot and their uses lay in very different areas to just close combat.

The Kroot are one of the best distraction, opponents tactic and deployment influencing units available in the 40K universe, they have point for point one of the best infantry weapons available in the Kroot rifle and point for point have some of the best unit abilities in the game, they can be structured to provide a multitude of different battlefield roles and they perform all these roles well and for a ridiculously cheap cost in points even a Krootox with a Kroot gun costs only 35 points.

So newcomers tend to take the Kroot and send them into close combat where they promptly die horribly, or they deploy them ineffectively (usually out of cover) and the unit gets shot to pieces, this results in dismay and the Kroot sitting on a shelf unused.
To this end I thought a basic guide to Kroot would help to stop this happening.

So to begin:

Kroot have undergone some major changes under the new Tau codex, so I think it best to start with the new changes.

Force organisation changes: All the Kroot variants are now classed as troops, this is a major change and one of the few positive changes made in the new Tau codex.

This means Krootox are no longer a heavy support option and Kroot hounds no longer occupy a fast attack slot.

Rules changes: Kroot no longer have the eating the dead rule, which makes for some changes to how they can be deployed and used.
The Kroot hounds no longer get the pursuit rule, so no free attacks if an enemy is beaten in close combat, again this is a positive change and makes for some major changes to Kroot units.

Infiltrate and the cover rules have stayed the same as per the old codex, however remember as per the old codex if Krootox are taken the Kroot cannot infiltrate.

The cover rules allow for a +1 to the Kroots cover save when in jungle/woods type terrain, it should be noted this cover save bonus does not apply to any other form of cover, so no improved cover saves in cityfight for instance.
The Kroot also never have to roll difficult terrain tests while in jungle/woods, so always move to full effect in jungle /wooded terrain but again this only applies in jungle/woods.

So the new rules and force organisation changes have lead to some interesting unit configurations in addition to the tried and tested unit uses, I will detail these separately.

The standard Kroot pillbox unit.

The pillbox unit is usually taken as one of the following:

(1) A large 20 man squad.
(2) As a smaller (usually 10 Kroot strong) squads.

The large pill box type unit is mainly used as Fire Warrior fire support and counter assault units, a large unit (usually 20) is positioned in cover as near to the Fire warrior units as possible, they are used to deny lines of movement to the Fire Warrior units and to provide some quite effective fire support (20 rapid fire shots at 12”).

Some also use smaller 10 man teams (usually 2) which have the benefit of denying the opponent more of the field but also have the down side of less effective concentration of firepower and also reduced casualty absorption, the smaller teams are usually used for infiltrating however.

The Kroot rule for shooting through 12” of cover is best utilised here as it allows the Kroot to shoot in safety and usually not receive return fire, they also receive a +1 to their cover save. It should be noted though that for this to work the unit has to be IN cover it cannot stand at one side of cover and shoot through it even if it less than 6”deep.

The Kroot unit can also be used as a counter charge unit to support any Fire Warrior units caught by assaulting units.
Kroot should not be used to directly initiate an assault unless accompanied by Kroot hounds, they lack the initiative and armour save to perform well in an assault instigation role, so this should be avoided at all costs.
If a unit has engaged a FW unit in CC the additional counter attacks of the Kroot can be effective because the attacking unit has to split its attacks between two units and it is usually possible to inflict enough wounds to force a moral test with at least one of the Tau units.

The Pill box is and has been a tried and proven tactic and works very well with hybrid and static lists, it however is weak when used in conjunction with Mech type lists as the large 20 Kroot teams are vulnerable when moving to keep up with the Tau, the large teams also offers very poor anti infiltrator countering ability.

The Krootox heavy pill box unit:

The new rules have allowed the strengthening of this tactic by allowing the inclusion of Krootox with their strength 7 long range Kroot gun, a couple of these in a reduced unit of 15 Kroot is a real danger to light armour and dreadnoughts, and the Krootox is a formidable opponent in close combat.

I have seen a deployment in action where two units of Kroot (10 strong) with 2 Krootox, set up on opposite flanks of the Tau deployment zone, the 4 shots at Strength 7 set up a quite nasty zone out to 48” where any transport or semi heavy walker type models were very vulnerable, the units set up in cover (woods) and the 10 Kroot offered significant casualty absorption (10 wounds) with a 4+ invulnerable equivalent save.
Each unit cost 140pts and is a severe thorn in the side of any army with transports, it should also be noted that any unit getting within 12” of this unit would be hit by 20 rapid fire shots and 4 rapid fire high strength shots fro the Kroot gun.
The heavy pill box unit with Krootox is quite a good cheap option for providing some additional heavy support to a static or hybrid list.

The above unit configurations suffer from one major weakness template / flamer type weapons, these automatically hit and negate cover saves, so deployment should be tailored to avoid these units when ever possible.

The normal pill box units also suffer from a lack of tactical flexibility due to their role as protection to the Fire Warrior units, they are effectively tied to a portion of the field

The Infiltrating Kroot unit (or speed bump):

This configuration can take two forms:

The standard infiltrating 10 man squad:

The standard form for an infiltrating Kroot unit is a 10 man Kroot unit, usually two teams are deployed, this is a very effective means of preventing infiltration by the opponents forces, the small unit size means that often the optimum 12” infiltration distance can be achieved, yet the unit still has plenty of firepower.
The units can also be used to deny sections of the board for movement of the opponents forces simply because a 70pt unit can really damage a larger much more expensive unit and most opponents will want avoid this.
However this configuration really lacks in assault effectiveness and this is where the second configuration comes in.

The 10 man Kroot unit with Kroot hound support:

I think before this is discussed the new rule changes for Kroot hounds should be examined.

The major change to Kroot hounds is the removal of the ‘Pursuit’ rule this basically meant any unit beaten in CC by the Kroot and hounds were automatically pursued by the Kroot hounds and were hit by an automatic strength 4 hit, the Kroot also had the eat the dead rule which meant they could not chase down opponents only consolidate.

Both these rules have been removed, which means the Kroot and hounds now perform exactly as any standard unit when they win an assault, they can sweeping advance and run opponents down.

These changes have radically affected how the Kroot perform in close combat (CC), a unit of 10 Kroot with 8 hounds is now a quite daunting prospect in CC for most standard assault or infantry units, though care should be taken to avoid such units as Genestealers or Eldar / dark Eldar units with initiative 6 or higher, as these will negate the Kroot hounds initiative advantage.

The average initiative of a basic infantry model is usually 4 and this applies for a lot of assault troops as well, the higher initiative of a Kroot hound with 2 attacks and good strength and weapon skill means the hounds perform well and they are also ridiculously cheap which means an opponent with an expensive assault unit will usually think twice about attacking the Kroot if he has any sense.

This is a major strength of the Kroot unit with hounds if the opponent knows the Kroot hounds abilities he will be loathe to engage them in CC with an expensive assault unit or expensive HQ, this can be utilised to funnel units away from sections of the field or even when infiltrated to dictate the deployment of the opponents units and to deny parts of the field, this tactical benefit should not be underestimated and is a powerful tool if used correctly.

If the unit of Kroot and hounds are deployed and moved judiciously they can perform extremely well in CC.

The Kroot hounds should form the first line of models with the Kroot behind them at 2”, the Kroot hounds go into base to base contact with the enemy unit with the Kroot at 2“ and engaged , usually this means the hounds will attack first or simultaneously with the enemy unit due to their high initiative.

If the hounds attack first due to the better initiative any models killed will not get return attacks thus reducing the number of wounds on the Kroot models, the enemy unit will then get to make any attacks from any remaining models, any casualties on the Kroot unit can be removed any where from the Kroot unit as all models are engaged, but then the 10 Kroot get to hit with at least 20 attacks (30 if they charged) because they are at the same initiative.
This is the strength of the Kroot hounds they allow the unit to attack at different initiative steps thus denying the opponent attacks and allowing the Kroot to remain quite safe and after the CC is finished the Kroot are still at a decent enough unit strength to contribute usefully with shooting attacks in further turns in the game.

Most units cannot stand up to the sheer amount of attacks the Kroot unit can generate, especially with their good strength and weapon skill, so they will usually lose the assault, when they do the new improved rules really come into effect.

If the Kroot player has played the CC sensibly he will have some Kroot hounds left and the opponent will usually be outnumbered at least 2 to 1, so the moral test for fall back will be conducted at -1 or -2 (sometimes greater) and if the enemy unit fails and falls back the sweeping advance move should be performed using the Kroot hounds higher initiative (this is why at least 1 more Kroot hound than Kroot should be left intact) this will usually mean a good chance of wiping out the beaten unit.

It is quite possible to beat even tough Marine/Necron/chaos type units etc with Kroot and hounds in assaults on a regular basis, and even if the unit is not run down the Kroot unit can keep a unit in CC for 2 or 3 turns which is a major bonus as it is denying the opponent the chance to use these units to attack the rarer more expensive components of the Tau list, and also blocks line of sight and blocks movement of the opponent.

The Kroot hounds also have the infiltrate rule, so a unit of 10 Kroot and 8 hounds can now make a really effective, quite scary anti infiltrator / anti assault countering unit, they can also make a very effective hunter squad which can be used to infiltrate and hunt down annoying long range fire support squads and even HQ squads, even if they do not destroy them they can deny fire support for a few turns to allow the rest of the Tau list to re-deploy to more favourable positions.

The anti infiltrate units are in my opinion (and others) the best and most effective use for Kroot (either with or without Kroot hounds) and should form a part of any mobile list and should be considered even for inclusion in static lists.

All in all the Kroot are a very effective cheap unit and should not be dismissed, the new rules have made them even more effective and point for point they have superior shooting, assault and cover utilising capabilities than nearly any other unit in 40K and they also come with infiltrate as standard, when you consider what you are getting for the points they are a bargain

Nice interpretation, rikimaru. +1 - Khanaris
Rikimaru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2007, 18:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I like kroot in my mech list. I just use a unit of 10 along with my stealth squad. I deploy them affter any isolated infantry unit i belive could be a thorn in my side and that unit is generaly eliminated with little backlash. Then, the kroot remain and should the enemy decide to deal with them, they usualy make their points back again. Also, a full unit of kroot + a full unit of stealth with a nice peace of trees that the kroot can hide in and the stealth can hide behind will effectively counter a assault squad of marines without taking a single wound. Watch out if they got a flamer though. I like using kroot in mech because they give a FOF a little bit of a safety net in case they must deploy but their lives are at risk. Kroot don't nessisarily have to perform well in close combat, they are so cheap they can be good at tying up enemy units. I have used my ten man squad to tie up a guess ranged defiler for almost an entire game and thus had no fear of enemy shooting (khorn).
PacoQuerak is offline   Reply With Quote