Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mild curiosity regarding IC and drones (Yes, I know, AGAIN)
Old 21 Mar 2007, 02:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Mild curiosity regarding IC and drones (Yes, I know, AGAIN)

I know we've talked about IC status and drones beforehand and generally that when a commander takes drones, even shield drones, they no longer are an IC. That was until I read the latest Tau FAQ (I just downloaded it from GW's website so I assume it is the latest).

It's the second question, "I can't understand the rules..." In the answer for the first paragraph it separates specifically the bodyguard and drones and refers to the drones and commander as a completely and totally separate concept from the bodyguard, even saying, "He (and his drones) may join/leave units as a normal independent character."

Even the context is referring to him retaining the IC status as long as no Bodyguard is taken. Wouldn't this mean that if you have a commander with shield drones that it's still an IC? That sounds pretty nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2007, 02:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha
Default Re: Mild curiosity regarding IC and drones (Yes, I know, AGAIN)

What it means is that a character, with drones, may still join units, as the drones are under his control, and get the 3d6 difficult terrain. However, because he has other models beside him he still may be shot at as though he had a retinue.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2007, 03:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm not so sure. It says "as" meaning, "this is what it is," instead of, "like," or, "as if," meaning, "this is similar to how it functions."

I notice they're very specific for instance with the, "as if fighting at Night," for the stealth suits and generally we say they aren't bound by the Night Fighting rule, they just have an identical but totally separate rule.

Quote:
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
Old 21 Mar 2007, 03:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Read the codex. The drones rules are in the vehicle armory section. It says that they form a unit with the character, but the character and his drones may still join another unit. End of line.

That said...during night fight, do enemy units have to roll twice? It says that no further effect is gained while under night fight, but I'm still unsure if it means that the don't get ADDITIONAL bonuses, or if they just don't get the field effect at all.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2007, 03:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to munkey

basically your over thinking it. i doesn't say that he and his drones count as having IC status it just says they may join units as an IC but not that they benifit from the other rules.

dis wunz fer yoo KJ!
"wuts so special 'bout iz 'ead boss?"
"dats were da skull iz ya git! and i'd look pretty silly 'wif iz foot on my pointy stick wouldn't i!"

-Gorgutz Dow winter assault

munkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2007, 03:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_Alpha
Read the codex. The drones rules are in the vehicle armory section. It says that they form a unit with the character, but the character and his drones may still join another unit. End of line.

That said...during night fight, do enemy units have to roll twice? It says that no further effect is gained while under night fight, but I'm still unsure if it means that the don't get ADDITIONAL bonuses, or if they just don't get the field effect at all.
To my understanding they'd effectively "lose" the holofield. Of course this is interesting given that for the Orks character Snikrot and the Red Skull Kommandos they have a very similar rule that differs in what happens at an actual Night Fight. I like theirs more but we have to assume the Tau one is different unfortunately.

Quote:
Old 21 Mar 2007, 05:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

ICīs with drones are a unit, thus losing their IC-status. But a a specialrule they still can enter or leave other units (even take their drones with them). And that has only been clarifyed in the FAQ.

And in the old days the ghosts used to have additional effects during nightfight: The rolled distanced was halved! That is not more the case, they just roll for their stealth (or nightfight, whatever you prefer calling it^^).

Greetz, Trogdor

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2007, 06:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXX
Wouldn't this mean that if you have a commander with shield drones that it's still an IC? That sounds pretty nasty.
Why would it be nasty?

Their seems to alway be a lot of confusion over IC status. Most every armies HQ's retain IC status whether they join units or not. IC status alone does not protect you from getting shot. Only IC's NOT in a unit can not be shots at. But people seem to forget that IC's in units are always fair game (and TAu IC's with drones count as a unit). The only difference between Tau IC's and other armies IC's is that Tau IC's that take drones subsequently have those drones make a hybrid IC-unit with the IC. And what I mean by that is when your IC gets bogged down in hth, instead of your IC being singled out in combat, it's instead the IC and his drones, thus the hybrid unit.