Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau without Kroot? Tau Mega Force?
Old 20 Mar 2007, 13:50   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tau without Kroot? Tau Mega Force?

Hi everybody!

I'm new to WH40k and think about starting a Tau Army - simply because I like their model style most. Unfortunatly, I don't like the Kroot models at all.
So, first question: Is it possible to play Tau without using any Kroots?

Next question: The Tau Mega Force* seems like a good way to start a Tau army and save some money, and (hooray!) it doesn't contain any Kroot. So, my second question to the experienced players: How useful is the combination of units in the MegaForce box? Is it a solid base for building a Tau army, or would you advice against it?

Thanks in advance for your help!
(When answering, please consider that I am more of a casual player. I don't need to have the Über-Army, and I won't have a big army anytime soon. I just want a nice little working army which I enjoy painting and playing every now and then.)

*http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...014&orignav=10
MaybeTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 14:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Tau without Kroot? Tau Mega Force?

It is indeed perfectly reasonable and possible to play Tau without using any kroot at all. I however wouldn't want to, but that's only because I love the freaky aliens!

The megaforce is a great starting point, its a whole army in a box.

Lets take a quick look at what you get with some very approximate point values

2 Crisis suits (1 can be a commander)
Commander - ~100 points
Crisis suit - ~ 65 points
3 Stealth suits - ~90 points
20 Firewarriors - ~220 points
Devilfish - ~ 100 points
3 Piranhas - ~210 points
Hammerhead - ~ 180 points

Total: 965

So basically if you get that box with very little modification you have a fairly strong core of a 1000 point force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 14:14   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks a lot for your helpful answer!
(Especially since it was the answer I was hoping for. )
MaybeTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 14:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hi Maybe,

I would definately recommend the Tau Megaforce. I figure it's probably one of the best deals available from GW - you get about 1000pts worth models, which is huge, and the actual unit combination is actually quite potent, IMO.

So by all means, if you're really pumped about playing Tau, start out with the Megaforce.

Best of luck.

ps: The only 'complaint' I've ever heard about it is that some ppl actually get discouraged from having to build all the stuff that's stuffed into the box... Never had that problem myself, so...

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 14:15   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I my self got the mega force and I have to say it was a great way to start. I would also say look at ebay...you can find great stuff there and sometimes you can find great deals.

I know how you feel about models...I my self love the Kroot but imnot to fond of the Piranhas..so when I got my mega force I traded all my Piranhas for kroot.

Natakue
"You'll shoot your eye out kid!"

Current Armies
Tau - La'Rune Sept W/L/D 1-5-3
Natakue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 14:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Pure Tau armies can be quite powerful, I've had no trouble with mine.
I don't use kroot becouse I can't stant painting somting that goes away turn 1-2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 16:43   #7 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

I was looking at megaforce today too. If you would buy all models separately it would be 70-80% more compared to its price.
With just buying extra commander you can round up nice 1k army.

an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 17:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I can't stand assembling Kroot (Way too fiddly to put gun hand onto open wrist. None too dexterous), and I'm not a big fan of them on the field either, so I play Pure Tau. It's possible, and quite fun. I started with the Megaforce, and it's a very good way to do so.
Old 20 Mar 2007, 19:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

I actually have no problem with the krootses. I love the space-chickens from hell with a passion!

I rarely play armies that don't include Kroot. They are easier to build than some models (Daym pathfinders have crappy mold junctions right over details rather than in the joint connection where it would be negligable...and I won't even talk about building Necron warriors), and are easier to paint than Fire Warriors. Mold lines seem to be the only problem during construction.

That said; Gearhead, what's this about kroot dying on turn 1-2? WHAT ARE YOU USING THEM FOR?!

If you are placing them in such a place that they are even reachable during those turns, you don't know how to use your Kroot! They are a core part of the Kau'yon method. They are best served lurking in the shadows, laying down harassing fire and drawing your opponent out into the open. I usually search for a nice chunk of terrain and infil-plunk 1-2 small to medium units (10-15 kroot, usually with a shaper) In a chunk of terrain near a bottleneck, just barely in reach of the enemy, and arrange the rest of my army covering it out of sight/reach of the enemy. Nine times out of ten they go for it, and get shredded before they even reach the kroot. Even if they do, what do you lose? 1 unit of bait worth less than a hundred points, that stalls the enemy for that many turns while you pot-shot them or secure access routes to your objectives.

Stealth suits can be used to the same effect...but will actually die faster, even from ordinary weapons. 18 bolter shots cause 11-13 hits, 7-9 wounds, and an average of 3-5 casualties against a squad of 13 kroot with 4+ cover saves from forests or ruins (Thank you, fieldcraft). Barely a third of the squad. Meanwhile, the steathsuits get that same barrage, but lose 2 suits. THat's below half, with last man standing tests on the remaining shas'ui. True, long range fire won't hit it. But when you're deploying that close to the enemy, long-range fire isn't the problem.

Kroot aren't meat shields. Guardsmen are meat shields. Swarms are meat shields. Your basic infantry model in just about every other army is meat. Tau don't use meat shields. They never get hit in the first place.

That said, if you know how to avoid fire by picking your firing lanes and covering all avenues of approach, you might never need them. In every game that I have played, however, I have often lost matches without them, and won many because of them.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 20:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

I use my Kroot fairly well but still its often they don't survive the game.

And I have no problem with that >

By placing them forward from my deployment zone short range units and enemy assault units can be lured forward to attack them. That's fine, I don't mind losing a 70 point unit after it fires 20 shots.

And by pulling some units forward the rest of my army can deal with the opposition easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote