Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[Bat Rep] Tau vs. Space Marines, 500 points combat patrol
Old 20 Mar 2007, 00:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default [Bat Rep] Tau vs. Space Marines, 500 points combat patrol

Well, I just had one of my first 40k games actually following all (or almost all) the rules :P. Well...you'll see for yourself how I fared.
Here's the list(s):

[hr]
Him:
5 scouts, 1 Heavy Bolter, CC

5 Marines, Missile Launcher

5 Assault Marines, 2 plasma Pistols
-Reclusiarch, Jump Pack, Boltpistol, Frag Grenade, Krak Grenade

3 Bikers, 2 Meltaguns

[hr]

Me:

11 Fire Warriors w/ Pulse Rifles
-Shas'la w/ Pulse Rifle, Markerlight

11 Fire Warriors w/ Pulse Rifles
-Shas'la w/ Pulse Rifle, Markerlight

Shas'el Crisis Battlesuit, Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker, Targetting Array

Shas'ui Crisis Battlesuit, Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker, Targetting Array

Shas'ui Crisis Battlesuit, Twin-Linked Missile Pod, Targetting Array

[hr]
[hr]
Turn 1:
Marines:
Not much happens. Bikes and Assault Marines move forwards. Marines miss with their missile launcher. However, the scout squad killed 3 Fire Warriors with their Heavy Bolter.

Tau
Fire Warriors move into a trench (4+ cover)
2x Crisis Suits (the Fireknives) jump out, shoot, and jump back behind a tower (which blocks LOS). One of them wounds 2x against the bikes with its missile pod, the other misses. The bikes made their saves, however. The other crisis shot at the tactical marines, and hit 1x with its Twin-Linked Missile Pod. The save was made.

Turn Summary: 3 Fire Warriors dead, no marines dead

[hr]
[hr]
Turn 2:
Space Marines:
The Bikes assaulted the Shas'ui behind cover, killing it and then moving on to the Shas'el. Ouch. The assault marines assaulted Fire Warriors, killing 5 (although the FW's held morale)
The Tactical Marines fired a missile at the Crisis with Twin-linked missile pods, instant-killing it.

Tau
Everything had gone wrong...almost all of my units were either tied up in close combat or dead. I forfeited.

[hr]

Well, I learned a lot of things. First of all, Bikes and Assault Marines are FAST. They can assault you so easily...and I wasn't even expecting it! They were so far away, I thought there was no way they could assault me...and, wham, they were there.
Also, get protection against Krak missiles or kill the units holding them right away. They instant-kill crisis suits, and, although I'm pretty sure we all knew that before, it really is important.
Next time I face him, I'm definitely bringing Kroot to counter his quick-assault. Hopefully it will be a larger game as well, so I can take Sniper Drones and maybe an IonHead or two.

Hope you enjoyed reading my first, and rather short, battle report!
Old 20 Mar 2007, 01:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: [Bat Rep] Tau vs. Space Marines, 500 points combat patrol

Well what to say except that the result is what is to be expected. Marines are the army most capable of taking an extraordinary amount of fire power in 400 point games and their 3+ armor gives them the resilence to withstand most fire power in return.

Don't let this get you down and don't think anything happened that wasn't expected to happen. Tau start to come into their own at the 1000 point mark where you can bring your Ion Cannons and more durable support systems.

Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 02:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

fast assault is best countered by knowing exactly how far each element can charge.

whip out a few models and place them on a flat surface such that you estimate they are 12.1 inches away from each other - the see if you're right.. keep doing this till you get a good feel, and you'll always know when some foot slogger will charge you next turn.

Do the same for 18.1 inches so you know the charge range of bikes and jump packers.

also, consider some rail rifles at lower points game.... your plasma rifles are often too short ranged to do enough damage against fast movers before they charge you. (this can be alleviated with good range guessing skillz)
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 02:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Actual
fast assault is best countered by knowing exactly how far each element can charge.

whip out a few models and place them on a flat surface such that you estimate they are 12.1 inches away from each other - the see if you're right.. keep doing this till you get a good feel, and you'll always know when some foot slogger will charge you next turn.

Do the same for 18.1 inches so you know the charge range of bikes and jump packers.

also, consider some rail rifles at lower points game.... your plasma rifles are often too short ranged to do enough damage against fast movers before they charge you. (this can be alleviated with good range guessing skillz)
he can't take rail rifles in 400 combat patrol. Pathfinders must take a devilfish and you really can't take pathfinders until 1000 points if you want an effective army.
Old 20 Mar 2007, 02:48   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Guard Or Go Home
he can't take rail rifles in 400 combat patrol. Pathfinders must take a devilfish and you really can't take pathfinders until 1000 points if you want an effective army.
Nor can he legally take a Shas'el... no models with more than 2 wounds, and I believe the 'El has 3...
Commander Lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 03:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

hmm... is there somthing about drone snipers that are prevented by combat ptrl?
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 03:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Actual
hmm... is there somthing about drone snipers that are prevented by combat ptrl?
I think a sniper squad can be taken in combat patrol so you can get the rail rifles that way. Sorry I forgot about those
Old 10 Mar 2008, 04:23   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

im pretty sure a shas'el has only 2 wounds and a Shas'O has 3 so its legal. And yes space marines in my oponion are the hardest to fight against at low point battles. They always get the 3+ advantage and can take FAST units so very dangerous. Be a little more careful next time and dont underestimate marines well any army in that matter good luck next time
lordherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2008, 04:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Crisis commanders have one more wound than other races commanders since they're in battle suits, thus making an 'El have 3 and an 'O have 4. They are not supposed to be in CP lists.

Missile launchers will kill Crisis dead, but you really have to use Jump Shoot Jump to avoid them. Jump behind cover to stay out of line of sight and if he moves to see you, then he can't shoot. If there's nothing else to jump behind, at least jump behind the firewarriors or some other friendly units so that you can force a target priority test. You never know he might actually fail it.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote