Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Another speculation- The Tau, Children of the Old Ones
Old 19 Mar 2007, 01:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Another speculation- The Tau, Children of the Old Ones

Thats right, its an idea I have been beating around my head for a long time. Hear me out

1: The Tau developed from relative stone age to space faring tech in about 6 thousand years. That already beats us by some 4k years when talking about our own civilization.

2: On the last day of the Tau "World war", bright lights were seen in the sky on the last day of fighting, this compounded by the warp storm surrounding the system suggests something else was going on.

3: The Ethereals appeared on the same day as these unusual lights appeared in the sky, and in a single day the war ended. This suggests the Ethereals have some sort of control over the Tau that is difficult to explain in terms of science. It is possible they were engineered to do the task at hand.

4: The tau are immune to the warp, this is the biggest hint. The enemy of the Old ones (just as much as the Necrons), being able to corrupt even the strongest of their old creations, the Eldar, a race immune to the effects of the warp in these dark times is ideal for those who fight against it.

5: The amazing diversity of the Tau into their castes suggests outside manipulation. It is one thing to have different skin colors, but when those who live in the mountains are tall, sinewy and have wings, while those who mine the mountain are shaped like brick outhouses, there is something more at work.

6. the idea of the Greater Good reflects the desire of the Old Ones, and helps keep the Tau on the path that they were made for, unlike the Eldar, who were consumed by their own pride and powers.

okay, flame away
Old 19 Mar 2007, 01:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Another speculation- The Tau, Children of the Old Ones

Actually, I like it. I don't read much into the background fluff, else I'd probably know a bit better where you're coming from, but it adds up effectively. While the truth may never come to light, this does seem a very instinctual idea.

Arctic Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 02:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Tau's "outside force" probably was the Etherals. In the new Codex, the Imperial Report says the Tau have "synthetic protiens and amino acicid chains within the test subject's internal organs," which means they have another life form putting hormones and stuff to them. The most likely source is the Etherals. With their diamond-shaped organ thing, they could produce a hyper-efficient form of artificial selection. They could also set protiens to destroy sperm cells if they don't have the wanted alleles. This also may be why the Tau are unnaffected by the warp: during the weird warp storms, the Etherals came out of hiding to quickly spread warp-resistance so they wouldn't become Chaos Fire Warriors. That time was also a great time to finally get everyone working together, since the war had rooted out the weak.
If there was an outside force, it would be the gods of the Necrontyr. The GW article on Farsight uses the following logic:
1. (given) All Tau are immune to the warp and its corruption or mind-ruination, and NECRONS AREN'T WARP CREATURES
2. His Etheral dies in a fight with an unknown enemy, possibly NECRONS
3. He finds a bright, glowy-worded sword in an ANCIENT ARTEFACT world
4. He is already in a giant, METAL battlesuit (not stated int the article directly, but still important)
These reasons are hard evidence that Farsight might be a Necron, adding even more proof!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
Dark Ace Cypher with the power of cliffing!
[quote=TheCuriousMonke]
[b]"You must bake muffins for the Greater Good."[/
Ace cipher zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 05:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

i love how this topic kicks around the forums every couple of months.

ahem- ok

so the reasons why the Old One's probably aren't the one's that designed the Tau- well

-The Old One 'last stand' did not take place in the region the Tau evolved in, and since they all died/disapeared in the enslaver plague and the only Old One (first servant race) to have ever been found (back in 2nd) was in a cryo tube and killed...

- what everyone seems to not consider with Tau evolution into space in 6,000 years is the fact that they achieved racial unity, we probably will never do that and look how much we have accomplished.

-the warp storm made it difficult for the Mechanicus- not impossible, they chose not to keep going as the Age of Apostacy was going on (no one ever seems to remember that)

-Many portents are connected to being saved, if an eclips happens at a day where you don't die chances are it will have a divine source (to you- now imagine a culture).

-Grogalmight, your 4th point doesn't make any sense, can you repeat that a little more clear?

-As to the different physiologies of the Tau- they are a different species, look at all the different types of felines there are to just give one example

-to close with Grogalmight- don't assume you know the importances Old One's placed on the galaxy.

and to Ace
-Your taking that article too seriosly- that is one gamer's opinion
and if the Tau were so warp resistant and knew of their resistance as you imply, why Medusa????
Old 19 Mar 2007, 05:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Tau are not complettely warp-resistant, their warp-presence is just sooooooooo small it take a large concentration of Immaterium to effect or affect them, as on Medusa. And I agree the article is an opinion, and it is my opinion too, and I am just giving supporting evidence. However, it is a pretty cool thought, Farsight fighting alongside Necrons......(But not as cool as Tau fighting alongside Tyrranids ;D!!!!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
Dark Ace Cypher with the power of cliffing!
[quote=TheCuriousMonke]
[b]"You must bake muffins for the Greater Good."[/
Ace cipher zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 05:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
4: The tau are immune to the warp, this is the biggest hint. The enemy of the Old ones (just as much as the Necrons), being able to corrupt even the strongest of their old creations, the Eldar, a race immune to the effects of the warp in these dark times is ideal for those who fight against it.
The tau are not immune to the warp.
They lack the navigator gene making any more than a short hop into the warp impossible.
Because of these small hops they are not there for long enough for a creature of the warp to infect them.
They have no psyckers for the same reason.

Quote:
3: The Ethereals appeared on the same day as these unusual lights appeared in the sky, and in a single day the war ended. This suggests the Ethereals have some sort of control over the Tau that is difficult to explain in terms of science. It is possible they were engineered to do the task at hand.
It actually took about a year for all of the wars to end.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 08:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

One major problem with all that. The Old Ones are all dead.

While it is possible to say "Nah, they all went into hiding and manipulated stuff" it isn't as plausible as them simply dying out.

1.) The C'tan LOATHED the Old Ones. Given that, it's odd that beings as immensley powerful (and almost omnipresent in some fluff) as the C'tan (particularly the Deciever) hasn't picked them up and tried to destroy them.

2.) The Eldar ruled the entire galaxy at one point. And they know a LOT. They have knowledge about Chaos that the Chaos Sorcerers themselves (who have lived in and studied Chaos for thousands of years) don't know! That said, it seems abit strange that the Eldar know nothing about the Old One presence.

3.) Why didn't the Old Ones reveal themselves to the Eldar during the time of their Empire? There was a huge space of time before the start of the Fall in which there was absolutley no reason for the Old Ones to avoid them. And allying with the Eldar and aiding them would no doubt have kept them safe.

Whilst SOMETHING probably influenced the Tau, I don't think it's the Old Ones. Because whilst Tau aren't susceptible to Chaos, they aren't activley good against it either. And they're downright terrible against Necrons compared to the Old Ones' other creations. Considering the Old Ones' other creations, I think if Tau belonged to them they'd be abit more classy.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 08:28   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Why everyone is trying to find somebody who created Tau?!
Can't you just accept they evolved themselves?
Look into our very own history. Greeks were trying to survive against all odds on their small peninsula, then Macedonians united them and voila - they conquered half of the world! I can tell you more such stories, if you want.
As for Ethereals and their "misterious" control over Tau (like themselves aren't Tau!). Studying PR, I know very well how one man can influence whole nation and persuade them into doing what he wants (even to die for his ideas!). Think about NLP! So, as you can see even in our totally material world person can control other people, and you keep telling me in WH40K far more technologically superior universe it's impossible without these fancy "magic" stuff?!
Wilhelm Erbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 08:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Not that I don't like the idea, but your support for your theory is a bit weak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogalmighty
4: The tau are immune to the warp, this is the biggest hint.
BIG misconception. Tau have a small warp signature, this in no way suggest they are Immune.

Quote:
5: The amazing diversity of the Tau into their castes suggests outside manipulation. It is one thing to have different skin colors, but when those who live in the mountains are tall, sinewy and have wings, while those who mine the mountain are shaped like brick outhouses, there is something more at work.
It's called evolution, you might want to look into that theory, you know, animal traits adapt to their different environments. Just look at how many types of fish we have. Would you say some of that wasen't natural?

Quote:
6. the idea of the Greater Good reflects the desire of the Old Ones, and helps keep the Tau on the path that they were made for, unlike the Eldar, who were consumed by their own pride and powers.
And what exactly was the Old Ones desires? Their really isn't a lot of fluff on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolin
One major problem with all that. The Old Ones are all dead.

While it is possible to say "Nah, they all went into hiding and manipulated stuff" it isn't as plausible as them simply dying out.
Is that a fact? Or you opinion? The Old Ones are noted for their longevity after all, .

Quote:
1.) The C'tan LOATHED the Old Ones. Given that, it's odd that beings as immensely powerful (and almost omnipresent in some fluff) as the C'tan (particularly the Deceiver) hasn't picked them up and tried to destroy them.
Last I remember the C'Tan were well beyond kicking the stuffing out of the Old Ones. Their slumber was caused by a lack of food, and that's it. Given the rise of new strong races (the Imperium, Chaos Gods, etc.) and the lack of their own forces (their still waking up everyone). Why would they waste their time looking for a hard to find, receding, race that wasn't even a problem for them in the first place?

Quote:
2.) The Eldar ruled the entire galaxy at one point. And they know a LOT.
Yea, that was after the Necrons left. And all that info. the Eldar know is tied into mythical stories, etc, not exactly that precise. When's the last time you saw an eldar mention an Old One? Because I haven't, all I hear about is their dead gods, which were killed by Slaneesh (a long time after the Necrons and Old Ones). Not to mention the Eldar Empire was torn apart, and all that is left is the nomadic remnants of the Eldar, which (as great as they are) don't represent the pinnacle of the Eldar Race.

Quote:
3.) Why didn't the Old Ones reveal themselves to the Eldar during the time of their Empire? There was a huge space of time before the start of the Fall in which there was absolutely no reason for the Old Ones to avoid them. And allying with the Eldar and aiding them would no doubt have kept them safe.
Who knows, the whole Old One story line hasn't really been fleshed out yet, ahs it? It could be that they later saw that the Eldar as a failure (after causing the enslavers incident), and decided to not touch that project again. Or maybe they did come back, in the form of the Eldar Gods? Who were later killed by Slaneesh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm Erbauer
As for Ethereals and their "misterious" control over Tau (like themselves aren't Tau!). Studying PR, I know very well how one man can influence whole nation and persuade them into doing what he wants (even to die for his ideas!). Think about NLP! So, as you can see even in our totally material world person can control other people, and you keep telling me in WH40K far more technologically superior universe it's impossible without these fancy "magic" stuff?!
While I don't want to necessarily disagree with you, the level of control the Ethereals can exert on the Tau is pretty amazing. They united the whole population, i.e. the world. I don't think i've seen any man do that yet. And their influence goes beyond just verbal communication (with people you actually have to convince them to believe you). Just being in the presence of an Ethereal has an odd/relaxing effect on the Tau, iirc.
Old 19 Mar 2007, 09:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

the orange, for a race to evolve wings to fly is a staggeringly large feat that would take a long time to evolve and a much much longer time to perfect (millions of years)
PacoQuerak is offline   Reply With Quote