Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pathfinder Tetras
Closed Thread
Old 07 Feb 2005, 17:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Pathfinder Tetras

I have aquired a couple of forgeworld Pathfinder tetras- for those who have not seen the rules go to forgeworld.com, they are listed under experimental.
I have played a few games with them and although they are not cheap points-wise ( a squad of 2 with targeting array and 1 target lock is 135 pts ) they are tons of fun. I am used to fast vehicles ( Eldar )
and it is nice to have a combination of big and small vehicles that give you many options over a static army.
I will be taking them to this summer's Astronomi-con tournament in Winnipeg and I think they will freak out a few people ( I hope ). When considering power I think a Tau army would be more powerful straight-up with 2 broadsides using those points but VDR and forgeworld are allowed at the tourney and there are so many different scenarios ( every table has a different and often dangerous one ) that it's not about power and winning.

Has anyone else tried these little guys out? ( the models are surprisingly small but very cool looking )
Old 07 Feb 2005, 17:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default Re: Pathfinder Tetras

most fw tau models rock! im interested to see how they play for you, i may proxy some instead of a 8 man pathfinder squad some time to see the difference but to be honest i am spectical to how fragile they are....there again if they can make a good pre turn move and they do have the disruption pods? well ill see! could you be a buit more specific on how you use them, what upgrades you give them etc. id have though a targetting array a must?
Old 07 Feb 2005, 18:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

They cost 60 pts base and come with a marker light and a twin-linked pulse rifle ( whoop de do )
Thet are always equipped with a disruption pod and do get the pathfinder pregame move.
I field them with targeting arrays and 1 target lock , making the unit of 2 135 pts.

I have only played a few games with them but generally I have used them as a opposite flank lure ( their speed makes them annoying to my opponent ) keep them at max range to take advantage of thier disruption pods and see how long they can survive. If they did not deploy last and get a free move before the game they would not be as useful but so far I like them. They don't miss much with bs4 and always allow me to unload a couple of seeker missles in the 1st turn ( often causing a lot of damage ), and more importantly they do look really cool!!
Old 07 Feb 2005, 19:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have been hoping to try out the Forge World models, but a sore lack of players plus moving to a new country is putting a slight (ha-ha!) dent in that plan.* The only suggestions I could make offhand are to take a look at how other players use their bikes/jetbikes and Land Speeders.* Perhaps the tactics used by Necron Destroyers could be adapted as well?

So far as tactics seem to go, using them to "paint" specific enemy models and squads for destruction is a good use. but they can just as easily dive in and cut loose on enemy troops.* Twin-linked pulse rifles within rapid-fire range make for wonderful strafing runs, easily better than any Storm Bolter out there!* The fact they exist, are brutally fast, and can GET RIGHT THERE is sure to make your opponent feel a bit pressured.* Never underestimate the power of battlefield psychology.... on your opponent!* *>

On a suggestion, I would say to team the Tetra with a Hammerhead as the "support" element.* Between the guns and the markerlights, there should be very little that can stand against a strong push by this armoured wedge.

And PLEASE, Please, *please* takes notes on how they perform!* Come back and let your fellow Tau commanders how these fine machines work.* Pioneer the Tactica: Lamprey!* ;D

I'm sure the boards will try to come up with more possible tactics as sure as anything.* Good luck in Winnipeg!
Old 07 Feb 2005, 22:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

I love the Idea of the Tetras TL Pulse Rifle is just so cool, and the ability to ML squads without having to take useless shas'ui ML's or pathfinder squads is a superb bonus. LMK how you do.

and where you moving to zoomer?
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 07 Feb 2005, 23:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: Somewhere cliché, like... behind you, or in your room maybe. I don't know.

Tetras are much better FA choices than gun drones or pathfinders. They're worth the points and provide a bike for Tau.

If you read this sentince, it will tell you nothing.
Old 08 Feb 2005, 10:50   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hey guys. I'm using a couple of tetra's and a piranha in a game that we are half way through. The piranha seems a little weak but is fast, but anyway you wanted to know about the tetra's. the marker light is cool, it fits in my army as i buy each squad a leader, markerlight and target lock.

With 26 seeker missiles backing em up they are perfect for me. BUT you are really just buying there for the mobile marker light, as the twin linked pulserifle is'nt fantastic with just 2 of em. In a full squad of 4 i think these guys will rock though. Yeah i need to go make 2 more...

They may as well of just had a toughness because as vehicles whats gonna happen when my opponent shoots one and immobilises it? is he gonna stop both of em? He has'nt seen fit to shoot em so i don't think he see's em as that much of a threat to be honest.
Old 08 Feb 2005, 14:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah, taken as squads, any immobilized tetra is as good as destroyed since the others can't afford to sit around and keep it company. I would like them a LOT better if they were cheaper and/or treated as a jetbike. It would be cool to have something akin to the speeder bikes in Return of the Jedi.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 08 Feb 2005, 16:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for the insight, Redned; if you want to speak on the Pirahna as well, I'm sure it would be helpful.

I prefer the Tetras as vehicles as opposed to jetbikes. As high speed skimmers, a 6 is needed to hit them in close combat, and they can't be pinned down either. If a Tetra goes down, it becomes a lightly armored bastion that still has a markerlight... If it didn't crash and burn in the process.

Granted, Tetra are expensive in points, but that tends to be true for all Forge World models. They still have a good place in a mobile Tau force, I think!
Old 08 Feb 2005, 17:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Aun Dolf

I have played with two Tetras (targeting array & decoy launcher) some timesnow and I find them a great Lure. They come to their best in escalation scenarios together with a standard Pathfinder squad. Equip the Pathfinders fish with seeker missiles and you are guaranteed some nice s8 hits your first turn without having to face that much returning fire. It's great fun to cripple a devastator squad this way!
Closed Thread