Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

XV88-2 Bases
Old 18 Mar 2007, 09:20   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default XV88-2 Bases

Hello...

I've bought two of those nice Broadside suits, designated as the XV88-2, from Forge World. Both are with the railgun weapon mounted underneath the arm and with some sort of haudralic bit that will suit me nicely for being the A.S.S. upgrade...

But those suits comes with a larger base size than the normal GW XV88 suit. We are talking Dreadnought-like-size. My question is now. Gamewise and targetting rules-wise which of the two base-sizes should I mount my suits on. Is it better to cramp my suits closer together with the smaller base or should I go for the big one with those indirect basilisk/defiler shells?

The unit is also configured to include two shield drones.

Tassadar
Tassadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 10:16   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: XV88-2 Bases

well if a base is big that means it will closer to the enemy, meaning the enemy will have to move less to assault you. so try fit it on the smaller base.
Old 18 Mar 2007, 10:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

I started a thread like this just the other day.

Apparently, yes, a larger base means the enemy can get into combat easier, but it also means you get about a half an inch of extra range compared to the smaller one. Or that's what was said in the other thread.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 13:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

The Railguns allready has the range to shoot across the entire table, so what's in an extra cm? Use a regular Broadside-base if you can. Then you might escape that charge, and you have an easier time placing your models close together if you wish to.
Brannigan: A valid question. We know nothing about their language, their history or what they look like. But we can assume this: they stand for everything we dont stand for. Also they told me you guys look like dorks!
Ka-No-Bushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 14:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

And if your enemy succeeds in getting in close combat with the broadside, he can place more models around a bigger base... so go with the small one.
Old 18 Mar 2007, 16:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

How are you getting extra range? You still measure from the leading edge of the base for all range measurements, so the only direction you would be gaining any real range is BEHIND you.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 21:45   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I would use the larger base. Those suits just don't look right on the smaller base. If you are going to spend the money on Forge World Broadsides, you want them looking their best.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 21:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_Alpha
How are you getting extra range? You still measure from the leading edge of the base for all range measurements, so the only direction you would be gaining any real range is BEHIND you.
Personally I don't see how you can't get the extra range...if you put a 40mm base right on top of a round 60mm one, there's about an extra half-inch all the way around.

And yeah, I agree, they would look much better on bigger bases. It might get them killed quicker, but one could argue that if they get that close in the first place then one of your other units isn't doing their job right. :funny:

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 03:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
I would use the larger base. Those suits just don't look right on the smaller base. If you are going to spend the money on Forge World Broadsides, you want them looking their best.
Exactly. Base sizes aren't that big of a deal, so don't worry about it. What's the point in buying expense models that look cool if you go right back around and pose them all squeezed together on a small base so that they no longer look cool?

If you want an advantage, think about what happens if your models get hit with a blast maker or a large blast marker. The big bases mean your models will be spread out more and take up more space, so it will be harder for your opponent to hit a lot of models.
Old 19 Mar 2007, 12:00   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

you know, if you like to play and have the advantage of range, put them on a larger base (same thing if you want them to look nice). but if you want them to survive for a longer time, put them on a smaller base that keeps assault squads another inch to move.