Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

FoF (Fish of Fury)
Old 31 Dec 2004, 16:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default FoF (Fish of Fury)

Edit by RJay: Could all and every issue relating to FoF be kept in this one topic as realisticly that is what this topic was intended for, to discuss FoF, any queries not posted in here will be merged into this topic, but i do not wish to have to continually do this...

[[Firstly, what is FoF?]]

Well it stands for fish of fury and is one of the main reason that a mechanised tau force will do so well. It involves a full fire warrior squad mounted in devilfish (often two).

[[So then how does it work?]]

Ok, you have your 2 fire warrior squads mounted in their fishes. Firstly you have to look for a weak spot in the enemies line, this isnt absolutly necessery but it helps, just somewhere where your fish can fit and you are confident of taking out a target/squad. Bascially the devilfish hovers up to about 12" to the opponent and stops, then unloads the fire warriors. The fire warriors 'hide' in the gap between the two devilfishes :

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ENEMY SQUAD

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */* \
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */* * * \
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */* * * * * \
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */* * *Fire* * \
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */* Warriors* * \
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */* * * * * * * * * * * \

Then the fire warriors fire at the enemy squad from underneath the devilfish (seeing as its a skimmeer this is allowed in the rulebook), unleashing 24 rapid fire shots (48 when used in pairs, a wise idea).

[[So is the enemy dead now?]]

Well i hope so! but the tactic is there so even if the firewarriors can't wipe out the whole squad (unlikely with 48 rapid fire shots...), they still can't be assaulted. Yes, even though they are well within assault RANGE (12" for normal units with a 6" move then 6" assault) the unit fired upon (lets call them tactical marines for example) can't assault the fire warrirors from underneath the devilfishes and therefore have to go round the back....this will take them more than 12" so they will not be able to assault the fire warriors.

[[But what about next turn....the fire warriror are gonners?]]

Well there should be few of the enemy left and lots of you so another round of shooting (this time from the devilfish burst cannon if they weren't able to fire again) should finiash off the squad. If you aren't confident this will work or you have lost too many firewarriors/more enemy are in assault range now, then don't panic. Just simply load up the fire warriors in their fishes again and scoot away 12" to safety (into cover would be nice but just general retreat is fine).

[[If im using this tactic on a relly strong squad (khorne bezerkers with feel no pain.....termies) what do i do?]]

Firstly, as said before you have to choose the squad wisely, a squad of temrinators is plasma rifle prey not FoF prey, but if you have no other choice but to take on a fairly tough squad (wraithagaurd, choas with feel no pain) then remember you are not just limited to those pulse rifle shots, there are the drones on the devilfish, and you could bring in a crisis or stealth team to help you out (just make sure their 6" assault phase move will bring them out of assault range from the targeted squad)

[[Ahh, but waht about when you do the FoF against armies with fleet of foot, or jetpacks?]]

Again, choose your target squads wisely, jetpack squads are not fit for this tacitc to be used on them and should've been a top priority anyway by your battlesuits, take them out with other things. As for fleet of foot/claw/hoof opponents then not to worry. Look back at the picture and you will see that the enemy still has far mroe than 12" to travel. Also just remember there is a good chance you will have completely wiped this squad out, or caused it to break and fall back, so even if (by a miracle!) it maanges to assault you should only have to deal with VERY few models and the fire warriors should actually WIN the assault (this situation should never arise however), then after having wiped the enemy out in assault (sounds odd, you'll probably never need this advice) consolidate back into the safe sancturary of the fishes.

[[Hmmm, it still wont work though, what about squads with heavy weapons or grenades which will just blow up your fishes?]]

You dont seem to be listening do you....the target squad will be severely depleted when they come to attacking back... Furthermore grenades hit skimmers like the devilfish on a 6, so will eevrything is assualt so you needn't fear the fish being blown up in assault. There is a danger from rocket launchers and squad heavy weapons but the devilfish has a hansome front armour of 12, and with only glancing hits and ecoy launchers you should be fine! Bear in mind if the squad fires their heavy weapon, they cant assault or move at all....One thing you do need to be wary of is ordanance and template weapons (heavy flamers....) however the template (blast and ordanance) weapons should be dealt with anyway and bear in mind they scatter.....Also, when picking the target make sure there is no enemy that you are giving a clear shot at your rear armour or the fire warrirors can be assaulted by a different squad from behind (this is why it helps to pick a more isolated sqaud for this tactic)

[[Wow, the tactic does seem to work, i think i better use it myself, im sorry i doubted it!]]

Thats alrite, im just glad i have shown you what a great tactic it is and why devilfishes and mobile tau armies are by far the best!

So to conclude my one piece of advice is planning, plan exactly who and where you are going to strike, make sure its totally safe and you have a backup plan if you dont kill as many as expected (eg bring in a crisis team), I hope this answers anyones queries about the FoF tactic and will encourage people to use it for themselves....i for certain will! [[and me!]], oh yeh and dont think im too wietrd for talking to myself! lol

hope this helps everyone who didnt know what FoF was or who had doubts about it,
Old 31 Dec 2004, 18:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: FoF (Fish of Fury)

Graet now I understand it!
Old 31 Dec 2004, 18:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

glad thsi helped then! hopefully it can become a sticky topic too
Old 31 Dec 2004, 18:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I nominated you for Karma for this ya know, its very usefull
Old 31 Dec 2004, 18:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

well i'm flattered! just pleased to help as ever, i may be inexperinced at battling but i learn things fast and like to share the (little) wisdom i have!
Old 31 Dec 2004, 18:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Help with fish?
Old 31 Dec 2004, 18:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

in the paintin board.. pls
Old 31 Dec 2004, 18:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Brilliant 42, I'm once again impressed ;D

ok can we get a mod to Sticky this so people can be reffered to it when they ask what FoF is?

Second installment : FoFC, the combo deal ;D.

while the standard FoF tactic w/ one or two fishes is adequate for close order elimination of one squad of infantry or two of the weaker variety (Eldar, Guard, Gaunts) there are some squads that a little more assurance is needed against, the afformentioned jump pack marines and their Ilk, for these the "Fish of Fury Combo" is advised, or if you are unable to muster even numbers of FoF squads due to list constraints.

the standard FoF tactic is thus adapted by having crisis suits come in from another direction and fire, then jumping behind the Fish if no other cover is available or the most common type the HH combo.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Enemy
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 12"__________________________________________________ __
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *HH *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */ *F */ * * * * * * * \ F *\
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * / *O / * * * * * * * * \ *O \
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */ *F */ * * * * * * * * * \ *F *\
the above diagram illustrates a firing "bunker" created by Skimmers. and is advisable against particularly tough nuts, if however they are capable of broadsiding the HH w/ missiles a FoF is advised to swap positions w/ the HH (the extra kit HH ussually have is protection against plasma and smaller HW.

alternatively a HH can stand in for one of the FoF in 42's example providing more firepower against horde armies or the ability to attack the harder units such as berserkers when equipped w/ an Ion cannon. the Ion cannon HH also adds mileage vs. marines (that are prone to small squad syndrome) as it ensures its shots kill.

the combination Fish is advisable in smaller (1500>=) games as it can deal with smaller unit no.s and odd no.s such as 3 in 1000pts.

all in all the FoF is a revolutionary tactic set to take Tau lists farther and with more unit effectiveness than ever. the FoF is easily customisable to fit in with mixed army lists as by default some units will be faster or move faster than others towards the firebase and the FoF is ideally suited to pick off the front runners or stragglers, also the FoF provides a tempting lure when the enemy gets too close to the firebase as they can either take the RF for another turn or charge off course after you (either outcome is acceptable IMO.

Ladies (not that any will read this ;D) and New Members alike ( ;D) I present the Fish of Fury!
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
dizzygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2004, 18:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

well I can do the combination fish with my armt, usefull considering 3 opponents are nids
Old 31 Dec 2004, 18:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

thanks for adding that on dizzy, id never really considered using a HH up there as well, with its tougher armour it should be quite safe.....that where the cheaper option of 2 burst cannons shows why is shouldnt be underestimated too!