Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] Mech Tau vs Deathwing Dark Angels 1700 points.
Old 18 Mar 2007, 04:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default [BatRep] Mech Tau vs Deathwing Dark Angels 1700 points.

Played a game today at my local hobby store against the new Dark Angel Death Wing army. It was my first time facing the new Dark Angel codex and a death wing army. The game was annihilation and the point value was 1700 points. My army was as follows

Writers Note:
After the game starts you will see in some of the pictures terminators in my opponents deployment zone. These were casualties he had taken and not removed from the board yet

Mech Tau Force
1x Shas'el
-TL: Fusion Blaster
-TA

1x XV8 Crisis Suit
-TL: Missile Pod
-TA

2x Fire Warrior Squads (10 Fire Warriors)

2x Pathfinder Squads (8 Pathfinders)

4x Warfish

2x Piranhas
-Seeker Missile (x4)

2x XV88 Broadsides
-Target Lock (x2)

2x Ionheads

Deathwing Force

1x Death Wing Master

1x Death Wing Retinue
-Assault Cannon

1x Death Wing Squad
-Assault Cannon

1x Death Wing Squad
-Assault Cannon

1x Death Wing Squad
-Assault Cannon

1x Venerable Dreadnought
-Assault Cannon, Power Fist/Flamer

1x Landraider

1x Landraider Crusader

Terrain and Deployment

The board was 4x4 and all terrain was considered lvl 3 except for the 2x pieces of rubble (6+) in our deployment zone and the small ruins which were lvl 2. The area terrain was considered forest (5+). There was no 4+ cover save anywhere on the board.

The picture shows how set up went before the game started. I decided to keep my fire warriors mounted but deploy my pathfinders in the 5+ cover of the forest on my left and the ruins in the middle of the table. I hid my Ionheads behind the cover my left and had to leave most of the rest of my squads out in the open.

Turn 1: Marines

As usual I lost the roll to go first and my opponent chose to take the initiative. To start the game off my opponent moved his Landraider my left flank forward attempting to plow through the terrain in front of it. With anything but a 1 my opponent rolled his difficult terrain test and promptly immobilized himself, shocked by this event he disembarked his terminator squad. In the middle of the table the dreadnought and crusader rumbled forward while the terminators on my right flank also advanced.

The shooting phase was uneventful with the landraider with the las cannons unable to draw line of sight to anything because of the terrain and the rest of the army being out of range though the crusader did pop smoke.

Marine Casualties:
1x Immobilized Landraider

Sorry for the pic, I switched from automatic to manual and didn't realize it till my turn 1

Turn 1: Tau

I started my turn by swinging my transports along my board edge more then 6" to get the skimmer rule while advancing my right flank Warfish forward 12" supported by the piranhas. My XV8 jumped out from behind the woods to line up the dreadnought.

The shooting phase started with me putting 5 markerlights on the Landraider Crusader and another 2 on the dreadnought. Switching to my broadsides I fired my first round into the front of the Crusader only to watch it deflect off the sloped armor, I quickly fired my second broadside only to get a similar result. Knowing that the Crusader was going to be able to deploy a death wing squad in or close to my lines next turn I decided to launch the Piranhas 4 seeker missiles at the Landraider. I hit with 3 of the 4 missiles and picking up the 3 dice I rolled to penetrate getting a 2, 5 and a 6 ;D, with a whoop I then tossed the dice for the glancing result and jumped for joy as it came up another 6. With the Crusader destroyed and its 6 terminators entangled I then opened up with every vehicle I had on the emerging squad killing 3 of them. My XV8 with missile pods managed to stun the Venerable dread and prevented it from moving next turn.

After this wonderful result I moved my XV8 with missile pods back behind cover and ended my turn.

Marine Casualties:
3x Death Wing Terminators
1x Landraider Crusader

Turn 2: Marines

My opponent rolled for his reserves but missed the roll and then advanced both terminator squads. With only 1 squad able to shoot my opponent opened up on the pathfinders holding my middle and managed to kill 2 of them. With no assaults his turn ended

Tau Casualties:
2x Pathfinders

Turn 2: Tau

I started my turn with my reserve roll and with a 5 brought in my Shas'el, well I tried to, even with the pathfinder warfish re-roll I still scattered 11" off the board

My movement saw the skimmres moving over 6" to gain the skimmer rule and I went on to my shooting. I pumped every shot into the 3 surviving command terminators and managed to leave the Master by himself. Having my broadsides to fire I fired my first at the Master leaving only a red mist in the air. My second broadside fired at the dreadnought immobilizing the vernable machine. With no assaults my turn ended.

Marine Casualties:
2x Death Wing Terminators
1x Chapter Master
1x Immobilized Dreadnought

Turn 3: Marines

My opponent rolled his reserves and promptly deepstruck his terminators into the middle of the table. The other 2 squads left moved forward 6" and we moved to the firing phase. 1 assault cannons opened fire on my Ionhead but failed to penetrate while the other managed to inflict a wound on one of my broadsides. with no assaults the turn ended

Tau Casualties:
1x Wound on Broadside Squad

Turn 3: Tau

With the terminators getting close enought o assault next turn I leapfrogged my skimmers to the front of my lines to cut off the marines. I also tactically withdrew my pathfinders on my left flank back towards my right flank. I sent one warfish deep into my enemy lines in order to get a back shot on the dreadnought but forgot about the side arc of the immobilized landraider.

In the shooting phase every vehicle and both pathfinders opened fire on the newly arrived deep struck terminators wiping them out to the last man. My warfish in my enemies zone managed to destroy the assault cannon on the venerable dread but still not destroyed.

Marine Casaulties:
5x Death Wing Terminators
1x Weapon Destroyed on Dreadnought

Turn 4: Marine

My opponent advanced his terminators another 6" and once again attempted to destroy the wall of armor in front of them but the assault cannons failed to penetrate the Tau technology. The Landraider fired its lascannon at my Warfish in his deployment zone and managed to destroy the SMS system.

In the assault phase one squad of Deathwing charged a warfish but failed to penetrate the hall with their powerfist.

Tau Casualties:
1x SMS destroyed on Pathfinder Warfish

Turn 4: Tau

The movement phase saw me redeploy the skimmers to keep the armor wall just switching places with other vehicles. I continued to withdraw my pathfinders behind the armor wall while my Warfish in my enemy zone swung directly behind the dreadnought and the Piranhas setting up behind the terminators.

The shooting phase saw me again pour everything into the Deathwing Squad on my right flank but I only managed to kill 2 of them. Over 50 shots were fired including both broadside rounds which were saved with invulnerables. Dang that 2+ armor. My Warfish in the enemy deployment zone fired its burst cannon into the rear of the dreadnought and penetrated it. The first roll destroyed it and so did the second despite the re-roll. With no assaults I ended my turn.

Marine Casualties:
2x Death Wing Terminators
1x Venerable Dreadnought

Turn 5: Marines

My opponent moved his terminators on my left flank another 6" closer to the wall of armor while the ones in front stood still. Shooting phase saw both squads fire at both ionheads but were unable to penetrate the armor. The landraider fired its lascannon at the warfish in my opponents zone and immobilized but thanks to decoy launchers he had to reroll and managed to only shake the vehicle. The assault phase saw both terminator squads charge the ion heads but fail to damage the Tau machines

Tau Casualties:
None

Writers Note: Sorry about this but somehow the picture for Turn 5: Marines is missing. I appologise.

Turn 5: Tau

I started my turn by swinging the skimmers this way and that to gain the skimmer rule and move my farthest deployed Warfish out of line of sight of the immobilized landraider. For the first time all game both fire warrior squads deployed from their Warfishes to add their firepower to the rest of the army.

The shooting phase saw my entire army open fire on the 8 remaining Terminators (5 in one squad 3 in the other). After the smoke cleared not a single Terminator remained. With my opponents only model remaining an immobilized landraider the game ended.

Marine Casualties:
8x Death Wing Terminators

Note: In the picture my opponent had already removed the immobilized landraider before I could take the picture, that is why it is missing.

Tau Total Casualties: Total Marine Casualties
2x Pathfinders Killed -Army annihilated
1x Warfish SMS destroyed

Endgame Analysis
I would not consider this battle atypical of what one should expect to happen when facing Deathwing. The first turn immobilization of a 250 point landraider in the position it occurred in really helped me out as I basically didn't have to worry about it for the rest of the game nor the 250 points worth of terminators since they had to slowly cross the board towards me. However, that being said it is the risk one takes when moving through difficult terrain sO I do not feel that that one misfortunate roll cost him the game.

The key I found to being successful against Deathwing is to mass your firepower. 2+ armor save is very resilient in turn 4 I fired over 50 shots into a squad of 5 and only managed to kill 2, however the enormous amount of armor saves I forced him to make through the course of 5 turns took its toll.

Seeker missiles, what can I say some people love them or hate them. I personally love them. I normally don't fire them at AV 14 vehicles as I prefer my broadsides and fusion suits to do that sort of anti-tank work but a str 8 that hits on 2+ from the side or rear can do a lot of damage and since I run 2 squads of pathfinders they are almost a must and in this battle knocked out a 250 point landraider for the cost of 40 points of missiles.

I hope you liked the report and feel free to comment or ask questions. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

Edit:
Ok I give up, I have tried every which way to post the pictures from photobucket but I can't fix it. When I click preview I see the whole picture showing the table and both sides movements but as soon as I hit save the whole picture gets cropped or cut in half which really takes away from teh report as you can't see the moves. I do appologise for this and if anyone knows how to fix this problem (I use photobucket as recommended) let me know and I will edit this post. Once again I am sorry for this technical issue
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 05:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: [BatRep] Mech Tau vs Deathwing Dark Angels 1700 points.

Wow those marines got owned! Nice work, getting a victory for the blue guys! I suppose he won't be risking that land raider to difficult terrain again.

Cheers,
Sarnas
Old 18 Mar 2007, 06:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

good job, if he's the kind that improves, I'd expect him to bring a mix of death wing and raven wing next time.
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 10:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

He should have Death Wing Assaulted the Tau. AC's taking out all the key vehicles first. Advance with Dread and Land Raiders.
Not a fan of Speeder heavy Tau,especially lists deisgned to take on my opponent. (now this could be your "Take All Comers" list, but to me, it looks like you geared up to take on Marines).

And playing a mix is doable, but any real DW player will stick to tradition and use only Termies/LR's/Dreads. Even before the game, the DW will always be at a large disadvantage.

I applaud the LR attempting Difficult Terrain, it beats getting blasted by Broadsides any day. What? You expect him to just keep moving forward in LoS to 2 S10, Twin Linked Railguns? Please.

Wait a minute, the rubble the Broadsides were in was considered lvl 2 Terrain? If so, you cannot shoot over lvl 2 terrain if you are also size 2.....Even if it were Area Terrain, you have to actually be IN IT in order to shoot out (and being able to get shot as well).

Have the DW player put in more Termies and Deep Strike on you in the 1st turn, then that game would actually be more interesting. O'shovah loves fighting Termies when they come knocking on his front door* ;D (at least mine does)

Oh and* ??? ??? ??? 1700 points on a 4X4 board!!!!???? Are you insane??! That should have been a 6x4 board easily. 4x4 is for 1,000points or less. Goodness, please play another game on a proper sized board and have the DW player use DWA.

Old 18 Mar 2007, 15:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteboy
Not a fan of Speeder heavy Tau,especially lists deisgned to take on my opponent. (now this could be your "Take All Comers" list, but to me, it looks like you geared up to take on Marines)

Wait a minute, the rubble the Broadsides were in was considered lvl 2 Terrain? If so, you cannot shoot over lvl 2 terrain if you are also size 2.....Even if it were Area Terrain, you have to actually be IN IT in order to shoot out (and being able to get shot as well).

Oh and ??? ??? ??? 1700 points on a 4X4 board!!!!???? Are you insane??! That should have been a 6x4 board easily. 4x4 is for 1,000points or less. Goodness, please play another game on a proper sized board and have the DW player use DWA.
Well despite your statement this is actually my take on all comers list. There is no plasma in it and everything is glued on as I stand by my choices so I can't even switch out things even if I wanted to so I can't adjust the list to my enemy. I have gone 8-0 in games with it so far. Even though it was a 1700 point game I actually only fielded 1550 or so as I was missing 2 Crisis Suits which broke before the battle. As for you not liking skimmers well its hard to play mech tau without skimmers.

If you read the rule book it says that units can gain cover by being in or right behind the cover and can shoot around/over cover equal to their height if they are up against the cover, since we were treating the rubble as lvl 2 rubble/wall terrain the fact I was up against it is fine according to the rules. In this case the design of that piece of terrain rubble makes placing a broadside on it rather a foolish decision as it provides an unstable base to stand on and models get knocked over and I told my opponent at set up they are in the cover. Secondly he did shoot them if you read the report I did not play a double standard with him (I can shoot but you cant shoot me) and thirdly my 2+ save was better then any cover save all game that I didn't even roll a cover save except the 1 wound it took from a rending shot which failed. The rubble also provided only a 6+ cover save so I think you are over exagerating the effect.

I also cannot control the board size provided at the hobby stores, at my GW store and at this retailer all the board sizes are 4x4 and if I want to play then I play on what they provide so once again your statement assumes I have control over something I don't

As for DWA, the rules state he can only DWA 50% of his reserve force. In a 1700 point game with 2 landraiders and a dreadnought he only had 4 squads of Deathwing. Even if he kept them all in reserve he can only DWA 2 squads which with only 2 assault cannons would do much to mech tau. As you can see he was shooting from turn 1 with his assault cannons and storm bolters so I don't know how DWA would have changed things. In fact it would have meant he would have taken more firepower from the get go then what he did.

Old 18 Mar 2007, 16:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You still have the same dice as me. :funny:

Good to see seeker missiles at work. I love them as well.

Arctic Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 16:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Lets go over this, shall we: *begins rant*
-------------------------
1)Comment:
Well despite your statement this is actually my take on all comers list. There is no plasma in it and everything is glued on as I stand by my chooses so I can't even switch out things once I know who my opponent is and what he is playing so this list is not "specced" to take out my opponent, in fact I have gone 8-0 in tournaments with it so far. Even though it was a 1700 point game I actually only fielded 1500 as I was missing 2 Crisis Suits which broke before the battle. As for you not liking skimmers well its hard to play mech tau without skimmers.
---------------------------
1)Response:
Well, with Mech Tau, I'd expect nothing less than being undefeated. I mean, farbeit for wanting a challenge........Just look at how you wiped an army out that was 200 points more than you. Nuff said.
---------------------------
2) Comment:
I also cannot control the board size provided at the hobby stores, at my GW store and at this retailer all the board sizes are 4x4 and if I want to play then I play on what they provide so once again your statement assumes I have control over something I don't.
----------------------------
2)Response:
True, but you could have thought: "Oh golly gee, this board looks too small for our battle, maybe we need to tone it down some." So you do have control over the points of the battle. You just chose to play a very large points battle on a dinky table. (That is when you don't even bother to measure range.......especially as Tau).
------------------------------
3)Comment:
As for DWA, the rules state he can only DWA 50% of his reserve force. In a 1700 point game with 2 landraiders and a dreadnought he only had 4 squads of Deathwing. Even if he kept them all in reserve he can only DWA 2 squads which with only 2 assault cannons would do much to mech tau. As you can see he was shooting from turn 1 with his assault cannons and storm bolters so I don't know how DWA would have changed things. In fact it would have meant he would have taken more firepower from the get go then what he did.
--------------------------------
3)Response:
Golly gee, I never knew it was 50% of the Termies in Reserve (I mean, I do have the new book in front of me and all....). The point was to have him drop all the Dreads and vehicles and stock up on more Termies. Especially seeing how many anti vehicular/AP1 weapons you had.

Conclusion:
You did ask for comments, I gave some. Not only did you totally obliterate someone having 200 points less, but you played on a very small table. I imagine the DW player did not have much fun,especially when all his units were being wiped out by mass vehicle fire. This is why Tau have a bad rep, it's because of the Mech stuff. Think outside of the box and actually give your opponent a fun game instead of obliterating him/her.

I know for a fact, just looking at this list, I'd find someone else to play, seriously (I'd have as much fun fighting Necrons as I would this list). If only 1 person is having fun in a game, then there is something wrong and making an army that obliterates every person it plays, eventually leads you to playing alone.

Seriously, the DW player got shafted before the first dice roll and he was playing against a very brutal army. Just letting you know how it might have felt on the other end of all the Fusion/Ion Cannon/Seeker Missile spam. I mean, just look at the game man! Look at the pics of Termies leaving the field each turn and all you lost was an SMS on a Devilfish and two Pathfinders?! Holy cow, did you not think "Wow, this list might not be fun for my opponent to fight"? or "I wonder how my opponent is feeling right now considering I am 200 points less and wiping him out"?

Did anything remotely like that ever pop into your mind? I really pity the DW player and do hope he bounces back. Mind you, I play Tau as well, but my Farsight army is no where near as brutal as your list man. Just think about it, seriously. There is more to this game than "obliterate my opponent with plastic soldiers"
*ends rant*

**Note**I am basically upset, (especially after you said you were 200 points less), at the whole game. It was a slaughterfest and should really have ended even before you fired at turn 5. Seriously consider including fun and dynamic units and buy the DW player a beer/soda/whatever after the game, he deserves it.

Old 18 Mar 2007, 16:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Man are you serious? You must hate Tau players because you take this so personal. Did some blue skin beat you up on the school ground and take your lunch money. Ok, I am only joking but you do seem predisposed to hating Tau for whatever reason

Let me repsond to your comments

1) Mech Tau is legal army list. Despite most Tau players I dont' run a single railhead which often has other Tau players making fun of me. The fact I do not run railheads most people on this forum would say puts me in the minority and a disadvantage.

Secondly I don't run plasma toting crisis suits so the only answer I have to 2+ armor saves is 2 railguns from broadsides and then mass dakka. So again some people would say my army is at a disadvantage

Thirdly which I said before my army is built with what you see is what you get. My take on all comers, I don't know many other people who glue their tanks weapon systems etc on as most people I face in 40k will switch army lists for every opponent they face. I bring what I bring and I live by the army I built

2) In regard to the point game it wasn't like I told my opponent we have to play 1700. I asked him what list he had brought with him and he told me he had a 1700 point list he used in the last tournament (I didn't face him) so I told him fine, I can field up to 1500 but I will use what I have against your list if you want.

I dont' know what the tables are like where you play but as I said at the GW stores and hobby retailers around here all the boards are 4x4. At the games days and tournaments the games are played on 4x4 and the point limit is 1700. I know I have heard some tournaments being on 8x4, 6x4, 4x4 and ranging from 1500, 1700, 1850 and up to 2000 points.

3) I can't control how my opponent plays. If he doesn't want to DWA then I can't make him. Also by you saying that he should change his army based on the fact he is facing me goes against your statement that I created any army list meant to destroy him. You are suggesting he should gear his army per his opponent which is somehow more fair then me bringing a take on all comers list?

4) As for my weapon load out
1x Fusion Gun AP1
2x Rail Guns AP 1
2x IonCannons AP3
4x Seeker Missiles AP3
1x Missile Pod AP4
82x Burst Cannon, SMS, Pulse Carbine/Rifle AP5

So you can see For the record I only had 3 weapons that were better then AP 3 and one scattered completely off the board which meant I only had 2 guns that fired once a turn that didn't give the terminators an armor save
In fact I have only 5 permanent weapons that were AP 3 and 4 one shot weapons that were AP3. The reality is that 90% of my guns give a marine or terminator an armor save. That seems pretty darn fair to me.

I have to say that from your responses you seem bias because your statements really deal with things that I had no control over (table size), my opponents army composition not being tailored to deal specifically with me (his list, his army) and on a statement that I had so many weaons that nerfed his 2+ armor save.

I think most people on this forum would say my list is rather more balanced then the majority of Mech Tau lists. No railheads, no plasma toting crisis suits, in fact no more then 4 Crisis Suits in the whole army. A LD 8 army with no rerolls is almost unheard of.

This army requires more skill to win with then typical mech tau so I don't believe a lot of what you said about it being. Also I never have a problem finding an opponent because of the fact that everyone laughs at the army when they see no rail heads or plasma guns and laugh even harder when they see the 2 crappy pathfinder squads or the lack of crisis suits

Old 18 Mar 2007, 17:16   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I'm going to have to go with you on this. I admit, I play closer to the standard Mech list. My anti-light infantry list has 2 railheads (mmm.... pie plates), and my heavier list loads on the fusion goodness. You're army composition is different, interesting, and far from min/maxed for effectiveness. The fact that you can take a superior force (in terms of points) with your list speaks highly of you as a tactician and/or very poorly for this DW player.

His behavior was ridiculous and foolish. Footslogging termies may be about the toughest infantry model on the block, but will NEVER make it across any size board into the teeth of a Tau gunline. You played to your strengths, and your opponent played to your strengths as well, ha! He might have given you more trouble if the land raider had survived, but not much. Your broadsides would have wiped it off the board all the same. You can't control that your opponent can't maneuver his way out of a tactical wet paper sack. Your choice of a Mech list is definitely not to blame for your margin of victory, it was a combination of your ability and his lack of it.

I know how that works. I have a regular Necron opponent, whose list could hammer my Mech into the dust (so much gauss...). Yet every time, it is a victorious slaughter. I have even traded him armies, and smoked my list with his. He just doesn't know how to play to his strengths. He hides his big warrior blocks, and sends his more effective yet fragile units out to destroy me, which I split up and obliterate one at a time. Don't let ranters bug you, just keep winning victories for the Greater Good!
Commander Ghostrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 20:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to orkkrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Lancer
You still have the same dice as me. :funny:

Good to see seeker missiles at work. I love them as well.
I love seeker missles too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Ghostrike
I'm going to have to go with you on this. I admit, I play closer to the standard Mech list. My anti-light infantry list has 2 railheads (mmm.... pie plates), and my heavier list loads on the fusion goodness. You're army composition is different, interesting, and far from min/maxed for effectiveness. The fact that you can take a superior force (in terms of points) with your list speaks highly of you as a tactician and/or very poorly for this DW player.

His behavior was ridiculous and foolish. Footslogging termies may be about the toughest infantry model on the block, but will NEVER make it across any size board into the teeth of a Tau gunline. You played to your strengths, and your opponent played to your strengths as well, ha! He might have given you more trouble if the land raider had survived, but not much. Your broadsides would have wiped it off the board all the same. You can't control that your opponent can't maneuver his way out of a tactical wet paper sack. Your choice of a Mech list is definitely not to blame for your margin of victory, it was a combination of your ability and his lack of it.

I know how that works. I have a regular Necron opponent, whose list could hammer my Mech into the dust (so much gauss...). Yet every time, it is a victorious slaughter. I have even traded him armies, and smoked my list with his. He just doesn't know how to play to his strengths. He hides his big warrior blocks, and sends his more effective yet fragile units out to destroy me, which I split up and obliterate one at a time. Don't let ranters bug you, just keep winning victories for the Greater Good!
I agree with this. I only went with railheads instead of 3 broadsides because they are cheaper (money wise). Just win for the greater good and pound your enemies to the dust that make fun of you. Make them eat there own words.