Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Time of Terror: Alternative Ethereal
Old 18 Mar 2007, 00:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha
Default The Time of Terror: Alternative Ethereal

I have yet to understand it. It is, in my opinion, the most useless model in the entire army, save maybe the Marker Drone. It confounds me, and I refuse to accept it.

The Ethereal. In an entire universe where half of everything is fearless or can be, this one thing is all the Tau get, special characters aside. With line of sight limitations, he is forced to be placed out in the center of the battlefield to provide the greatest possible effect. Unarmored (despite that he's in a WARZONE where he could get ASSASSINATED), with only a mediocre attack (strikes at Str 5 if enhanced... but so do pulse rifles, and they don't DIE immediately), not to mention being inaccurate in their interpretation. Come on...why in the world would they go into Preferred enemy (absolutely useless when the army fails to wound or bust armor anyway) when the codex itself describes what they would do upon the death of an Ethereal?!

So, just for the 'ell of it, let's see what we could come up with. A new design or ruling or even just alteration, in a open discussion. Any takers?
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 00:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: The Time of Terror: Alternative Ethereal

Who the hell sends the equivelent of Tom Cruise to a war zone? There yeah go...
Old 18 Mar 2007, 00:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

And just for fun, try saying the thread title ten times fast.

I've always imagined the effect of the ethereal causing the entire army to stop and either freak out, or go on the warpath like nobody's business. To that effect, the entire army (minus kroot) just going into FORCED slow and purposeful, including Crisis suits and such seems like the most reasonable effect for an ethereal's death. (Considering that they abhor close combat...)

"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Old 18 Mar 2007, 01:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

have you used him?

He works
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 01:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

He works, you say.

Try it when you're rerolling leadership tests at LD 4-5 because you've been second-turn assaulted (which almost everyone can by some means that you cannot effectively do ANYTHING to counter unless you get lucky or they play stupidly). Try it when he get trapped in close combat or enemy vehicles/terrain are/is so dense your army is either cut off from him, or bunched up in one little knot that is easy to assault to death. The only thing that he, according to my style of play, is good for, is his honor guard. Otherwise, no.

That said, this is not disscussing whether or not he works. This is a discussion of what you THINK he should do, or what another version of him might be if/when Tau get an update, etc.

And try using more than two sentences per post. It makes for a much more interesting debate.

EDIT: I just want to say sorry if I came off gruff, but I really don't like the way the Ethereal is presented in the game.

Old 18 Mar 2007, 02:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

He has no place in mech armies, but will benefit a massive firebase immensly. And his honour guard is pretty nice. I think that he should maybe add +1 Ld with LoS or something. That would be great.
Old 18 Mar 2007, 02:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I throw him in my mech armies cause he can mount up and move 12"
Old 18 Mar 2007, 05:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

He does exactly what you need him to do - keep fire warriors from running, or making them run when you need them to.

He costs very little and gives practically ur whole army a boost.

I miss him everytime i take farsight.

Also, BS4 Firewarriors are Very nice in a tight spot.
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 05:21   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

First off, his primary benefit needs to be extended to match those of other armies who have no penalties for their abilities. So I would switch it from Morale to Leadership. Or, if you keep it as Morale, up it to Stubborn rather than a reroll.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 14:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Aun'shi was lika an ethereal should be