Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

plain request for help
Closed Thread
Old 06 Feb 2005, 23:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default plain request for help

ok, plain request for help here. i'm new to tau and a bit rusty playing 40k. read the codex and gw website before starting abd descided on a frontier force. so i'm wanting a bit of an adaptable force made up of fire warriors, kroot, human aux and a couple of machines. i haven't had to make up an army list in years and could do with a hand, especially with some of the tau equiptment. what i want is basic units that are very different but with very similar points values so i can mix and match to suit the enemy. so question 1, what's a good points value for an average unit?
this is what i've got so far, so any suggestions would be more than welcome.

shas'o crisis suit (missiles, plasma rifle and drone controller and 2 drones) 125pts
bonded fire team (shas'ui and photon grenades) 163pts
humanauxiliaries (gue'vesa'ui) 82pts
kroot carnivors (shaper, 3 hounds) 151pts
also going to have a pathfinder team with the markerlights, but not added them yet. might do a bit of fiddling to get the units more evenly matched pts wise, but i think you get the point.
so does anyone have any ideas?
Old 06 Feb 2005, 23:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: plain request for help

How many points are you planning on playing. Is there a limit for you? 500pt, 750, 1000, or 1500.

There are a few very good 500 and 750 pt armies on the older boards. I am using a 750 pt army for now and rocks.

As far as I have read don't use the shaper and hounds points can be better spent, unless you are going for some theme.

Plus the KNOW YOUR SELF and other stuff in the Tau Section are a MUST read, I have personally printed then and reread several times.
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 07 Feb 2005, 00:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

cheers, i'm wanting an army that can adapt. so if someone wants a 500pt game i don't have to do lots of amending. got caught out on that before. i know this might not seem totally sensible and i might end up a few points short, but it would be handy for me. i really need to get back to playing, and being able to play different sized games without much fuss would be ideal.
Old 07 Feb 2005, 00:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

for 500pts a balanced force would be:

Shas'El
Fireknife
85pts

Elites
Crisis
Fireknife
65pts

Troops
20 Kroot
140pts

12 FW
-Bonded
-Devilfish
210pts

500pts

building on that for 750 I'd go

Shas'El
Fireknife
85pts

Elites
2 Crisis
Fireknife
130pts

Troops
20 Kroot
140pts

12 FW
-Bonded
-Shas'ui
-Devilfish
-DL
225pts

Heavy support
HH
-Railgun
-BC
-MT
-DL
-DP
165pts

750pts

nice and balanced with lots of dakka, and no lacking parts.

if you'd like a 1000pts list I'll be happy to help. or if you'd like the lists explained please dont hesitate to ask.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 07 Feb 2005, 00:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Where I am, most ppl play 750 pt game but I am building it to 1000 pts, so I can change out different things in the 750 pts games,or play a 1000 pt game. *Such as I only have one DF and one HH.

But in order to use the FoF I use the HH as a DF in my 750 pt game and IT DOES Own! Very successful and in placing troops where I needed them. Which was good because I am still a noob when it comes to these new 4th edition rule.
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 07 Feb 2005, 00:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

cheers, i was hoping to get a 500pt force together so i can start getting in a few games. and then building up on the basic core force. my thinking was for example have a 4 unit force, but actually having 6 different units so i can pick and choose to suit enemy. ie human aux units not much good against marines because of traitor rule, but they are better in a fire fight than kroot. an expensive idea i know. but will have a go at the list you've given me. another problem i'm having is with the hard-wired upgrades and what-not for the crisis suits. any suggestions?
Old 07 Feb 2005, 00:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Midnite
You can always change it around, I
For example I know it is a small game but I just LoVE The Extra BS of the Shas'O so I pay for it.

Shas'o
Fireknife, MT (Always kills what it shoots at, I tend to come to depend on it)

2 Crisis Fireknife, MT Bonded (usually kills what It shoots at)

12 FW Bonded
DF
12 FW Bonded
DF

3 Stelth (always draw tons of fire and they die first turn usually)

I like DZG list too, I just might have save and Print his list.

Good Luck
Old 07 Feb 2005, 17:01   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Don't worry too much about the traitor rule.* Marines hit you on a 3+, anyway.* I like humans because they are disposable but can carry EMP grenades.

Even in a normal 500 point game (not Combat patrol), I like to include some anti-armor. In this case, that would mean swapping in a fusion-blaster on one of suits.
Old 07 Feb 2005, 19:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ok, cheers khanaris. i still need to get to rips with latest rules etc, as long as i can get a basic army together i can get a few games and learn the hard way lol
also having trouble with the hard-wire systems. what are the benefits and how do they work when totalling up points?
Old 07 Feb 2005, 19:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Part of the confusion here might come from the terms used to describe them.* Battlesuits have "hard points", locations that the Crisis can use to mount either a weapon or an electronic support system.* Hard-wired systems are basically just the same as wargear for any other 40K character.* Think of them as cyberware or cybernetic enhancements surgically implanted in the character.

The benefits are rather good, and can provide a number of skills and tactics. As an example, you could take your commander Crisis suit and give him two guns and a Shield Generator on the Battlesuit Hard Point; for a normal Crisis suit, this would be all he could have...* But for the Character, his cybernetic components allow him to have a Multitracker, and the ability to fire two weapons instead of one.

Hard-wired (cyber) components function the same as hard-point (suit) systems, but tend to be more expensive.* There is also a limit of one cybernetic wargear piece for "lesser" characters (squad leaders), and three items for Shas'el/Shas'o HQ characters.* As points costs go, they are the same as any other item of wargear; purchase the item, add them to the total cost of the character. Simple!

(** I think.* The Codex can confirm this in the Wargear list or someone else can verify for me! **)

Hope this helps you out!
Closed Thread