Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Building up my first 1000 points, help appreciated
Old 15 Mar 2007, 22:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Building up my first 1000 points, help appreciated

Hi everyone,
as you can see from my post count, I only recently started posting on Tau Online. I do collect Tau since around spring 2005, but due to work and me in general being lazy on the painting front, I have only finished about 500 points of them. I do have around 2000 points of models in total, though, maybe a few less, and I'll be able to get started on painting them around summer this year (I'm going to move to a new place then, and I don't have a place to paint in my current apartment, but will have one in the new one).

Now, I am not really a competitive player, so I am not interested in min-maxing anything, but on the other hand, I also don't really want to unnecessarily restrict myself by using a silly list. To that end, I want to make a plan on what units to paint in which order, so that I can start playing at the 1000-points level effectively as early as possible.

And this is where you come in. ;D

Now, what I already have painted is this:

- Commander, not yet magnetized, no special issue wargear. Magnetizing him will probably be a priority anyway, though, so just consider him magnetized,

- XV15 Stealth team consisting of 2 Shas'ui with burst cannons and 1 Shas'ui teamleader with burst cannon and markerlight,

- Firewarrior team consisting of 11 Shas'la with pulse rifles and 1 Shas'ui with pulse rifle and markerlight,

- Kroot Carnivore Squad consisting of 9 Kroot, 1 Kroot Shaper with kroot rifle, and 8 kroot hounds,

- 2 shield drones and 2 gun drones.

I also have the following models:

- 3 XV8, already mostly assembled (except the arms, for easier painting) and magnetized, but not yet painted,

- 3 more XV15, unassembled,

- 2 XV88, unassembled,

- 12 more firewarriors, unassembled,

- 7 pathfinders with pulse carbines and the special edition Kais (so basically a pathfinder 'ui), unpainted,

- 1 hammerhead and 1 skyray (well, actually I intend to make that 1 devilfish for the pathfinders and 1 hammerhead, it was just useless to buy a devilfish box for the lack of sms and as soon as the skyray was released, I bought one to make a hammerhead and have enough seekers for some time to come),

- 1 Aun, unpainted,

- 1 krootox, unassembled and unpainted,

- 2 more shield drones and 8 or 9 gun drones.

Okay, so that's it. How would you go about making a nice 1000 points list for noncompetitive gaming from all that stuff? Don't worry about using all the stuff that is already finished, I'm fine with leaving some of them at home, as long as it's not all of it. Also, I am a WYSIWYG fanatic, so a model with a markerlight will have a markerlight in my army, no matter if that's basically a 10-point-headstart for my opponent (as is most likely the case with the markerlight on the stealth'ui). I'm also not too concerned with painting the 'easy stuff' first - if the 1000 points list includes most of the time-consuming models, that's not a problem.

Any and all help appreciated!
Old 15 Mar 2007, 23:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Building up my first 1000 points, help appreciated

First up finish at the VERY least one of the XV8s. I'd recommend two. You'll be needing them.

Next up do your Hammerhead. You'll need it.

After that you've got some more breathing room. Play around with your lists and see what you like. Go from there.

Edit: should note, I'd then do the second Firewarrior squad. I hate modeling the Fire Warriors as they take forever and you know they're going to probably die a lot but they're well worth it. Mobile, static, somewhere inbetween, they just rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2007, 15:19   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yeah, doing the XV8s first is probably a good idea, not only because they look cool, but also because they'll give me a lot of flexibility in the army list for facing different enemies, as I can equip them differently every game, something I cannot do with the rest of the army.

I'm not too sure about the Hammerhead after that, though. Wouldn't the XV88 provide some more punch? Or why do you recommend the Hammerhead? Points-wise, two XV88 with shield drones should be about the same as a Hammerhead, I think.

Btw, I actually really like painting the Firewarriors. I wrote up a little step-by-step guide for myself, just so I'd remember how I painted the other team and not come up with completely different results, and that guide is pretty short. Doing them in assembly-line style, ie 6 at a time, also speeds up the process a lot.
Old 16 Mar 2007, 16:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd easily recommend the Hammerhead over the XV88s if you've got to choose. Why? Flexibility and survivability. Even with the A.S.S. the Broadsides simply aren't very mobile at all. That's a major disadvantage in a Tau army where CC and focused fire will absolutely annihilate you. The Hammerhead not only has access to submunitions but can stay alive a lot longer by moving fast with a multi-tracker.

It's something you'll need to decide for yourself but I say Hammerhead all the way.

I've tried everything for my Firewarriors, nothing helps. It's as soon as I'm finished with one line of them I sit back and realize, "Oh crud, I've got all those extra steps I need to do not once, not twice, but twelve more times." In a way painting the battlesuits is easier for me since I can do them one at a time and think, "Well, only a little more touch up and this guy's done." Doesn't work that way for my infantry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2007, 16:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hammer head first, because it's a skimmer body with long range heavy weapon. you need, and lack both.

Next do the xv88s, as you said, their Dakka (read "woos, KLANG, BOOM.") is invaluable.

Seriously tho, you don't have enough transport yet to get in up close and personal fast. And without long range fire power, 2 or 3 missle launchers (the least you will face) will dominate your game.

Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2007, 11:27   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hm, I'm not really going to make a Mech cadre here. I may do that later on, but as far as I can see, being successful with a Mech cadre will take a lot of experience and perfect timing. While I am not a newbie, having already played 40K when 2nd edition was first published, I didn't play many games in 3rd and 4th edition, so I'm going to start slowly (literally). Thus, a static or maybe hybrid approach first, and when I completed that cadre, I can start collecting a Mech force.

So basically, that's why I prefer to do the XV88s first, more or less. I'm planning on buying a Firewarrior team with a devilfish later, and I'll probably paint up the three tanks and the two accompanying teams together then, adding a mobile element all at once. I'd actually be at a loss as to where to fly my Hammerhead when everything else in my army is staying behind.

Seeing that such an open question like I posted above will probably not get to many replies, I created a 1k list. Take a look, and tell me your thoughts. But remember, it's not meant for powergaming, but for casual games.

HQ

Shas'el'kir'qath'nan, twin-linked missile pod, command-control-node, hw blacksun filter, hw target lock.

The target lock is actually rather redundant, as he probably won't join any units, but in case he does, it will be useful.

Elite

XV8 Team
2 Shas'ui with plasma rifle, missile pod or fusion blaster and multitracker,
1 Shas'ui teamleader with plasma rifle, missile pod or fusion blaster, shield generator, hw multitracker, bonding knife, hw drone controller and two shield drones.

Rather on the expensive side, but I'm not sure wether I should remove the shield generator. Unless I find something worth exchanging it for, I guess the points are well-spent.

Troops

Firewarrior Team
11 Shas'la with pulse rifles,
1 Shas'ui with pulse rifle, markerlight, hw target lock, hw drone controller and two gun drones.

Firewarrior Team
11 Shas'la with pulse rifles,
1 Shas'ui with pulse rifle, markerlight, hw target lock, hw drone controller and two gun drones.

Kroot Carnivore Squad
9 Kroot with kroot rifles,
1 Shaper with kroot rifle,
7 Kroot Hounds.

Fast Attack

-/-

Heavy Support

XV88 Team
1 Shas'ui with twin-linked railgun, smart missile system, ASS,
1 Shas'ui teamleader with twin-linked railgun, smart missile system, ASS, bonding knife, hw target lock, hw drone controller and two shield drones.

Total: 1000 points.