Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Playing against 13th Company for the first time...any advice?
Old 14 Mar 2007, 22:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Playing against 13th Company for the first time...any advice?

As stated in the title.
I don't really need list help or anything like that, just some generals like strengths and weaknesses I should be aware of.
Cheers ;D
Old 14 Mar 2007, 23:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Playing against 13th Company for the first time...any advice?

If you play mech you will kick their hairy butts^^

If you play staic, everything depends on your deployment and your target priority.

The strenghts of the 13th company are close combat units. They will try to bind you with wolves (cavalry-movement and scouting IIRC) and then get you with their CC-units.
Skimmerwalls will do good against those wolves and all your burstcannons on devilfishes and hammerheads will burn their fur.
Alternatively make sure to stay behind to avoid the wolves reaching your lines. Kroot will do a good job smashing whatever puppy might actually reach your line alive, before it runs into your firewarriors.

Make sure you kill the devastators off, if he should field some, because then your tanks will have a rather easy time dealing with those marines.
When playin static the CC-units should be target number one, starting with those who move fastest.

And watch out for the runepriest. he can use an ability similar to the necronlords "veil of darkness", and pop up behind you with his friends (and his friends might have plasma or melta).

All in all the 13th is a rather weak opponent, due to bad balancing.
If you play thoughtfully you will have absolutely no problem in achieving one heck of a victory^^

Greetz, Trogdor

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2007, 01:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

mmmmmm, it doesn't matter what unit in that army assaults you, your dead. Wolves are going to be his best unit, because they are cheap as nails, move fast as hell and will kill any tau unit in hand to hand easily. But they do get shot to snot. The thing is, being great at close combat does not realy matter against tau, all you have to be is good at close combat and in close combat and you will kill tau. An assault marine costs the same as a grey hunter and is a hell of a lot faster, just as hard to kill, and agianst tau, three assault marines is enuough to whipe out a full unit of fire warriors. Basicaly, you are facing something that is slower than an assault marine, yet more powerful in close combat and the ability to do close ranged shooting with higher ability then assault marines. Against tau this is little or nothing. Watch out for wolves though, they are quick and will chew anything up. Also i would not be surprised if he has a wolfy torpedo as well...
PacoQuerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2007, 01:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to munkey

watch out for bike squads. expecially charecters on bikes. they can turbo boost right into any cover in your battle line. then they 'll assualt you next turn and you'll be toast. also pay attention to his charecters, he needs to have 1 for every 750 points (rounding up) meaning he'll probably have at least 2 and they can get some pretty crazy wargear. I have experiance using 13th company so i do know what i'm talking about.

also the fenrisan wolves shouldn't be a huge problem unless he takes loads of them because as soon as they get close to you its time for rapid fire doom (they will destroy your kroot in combat easily so sending your kroot at them will not be any help).

dis wunz fer yoo KJ!
"wuts so special 'bout iz 'ead boss?"
"dats were da skull iz ya git! and i'd look pretty silly 'wif iz foot on my pointy stick wouldn't i!"

-Gorgutz Dow winter assault

munkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2007, 04:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Of course noone should send the kroot for the wolves, that is one of the many opportunities to use those guns our lovely birdboys carry around^^. And when they get charged they still get cover (I sugest that they will be in some kind of terrain).

And yes anything will chew tau in CC. This is why the fenris-wolves can proof to be dangerous for static lists, as they are the fastest CC-unit the 13th company has to offer. They will most likely not do too much damage, but if they hinder your troops from obliterating the enemy one or two turns they were well worth it. And they do not have to be in effective rapid fire range (6" movement and 12" weaponrange=18"), for they attack at least 19" (6" movement, 1-6" fleet and 12" assaultmove).

As for the chars, again just another CC-unit. No tau cares really for the nifty "CC-Thingy of doom" he wields. His attack movement are "only" 18", and he cannot pass a skimerwall. His strenght is hi T5 and his 2+ invulnerable save when moving faster than 12" (perhaps he even will get protection from istant death). Stopping him means waisting precious firepower, ignoring him could give him the chance to catch some units unaware.
Wanna see your opponent cry? Surround the "torpedo" with skimmers. He will unlikely be able to destroy one, and he cannot move anywhere. Then one hit from a railgun will settle it (some more if he really is immune to instant death). But make sure he does not have dozends of attacks with a e-fist or something (okay, perhaps we care a little bit for the weapons^^). This should not be a basic strategy, just something to consider when the necessarity might arise. I for myself cought some demonprinces with demonic speed and dreadaxe that way^^.
In general skimmerwalls will do the trick quite nicely.

And if you go for mechtau, that guy on his bike will be a relativ minor thread to your force.

Greetz, Kais

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2007, 12:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

laugh. they're one of the most underpowered lists in the game.

they've got some cool features. pack leaders that get 7 powerfist attacks on the charge, scout/cavalry fenrisian wolves and scout in general, good in combat... and thats really... it.

they're ridiculously expensive and very limited in what they can do, being an entirely on foot army with no vehicles and almost all based short range firepower.

go mech to avoid the wolves, and spend the rest of the game trying not to laugh.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2007, 20:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Only 2 ways I could see you losing.

1. The mission requires that you go and get some objectives that are hidden in terrain, and he gets deployment/move rolls and burrows in. You won't be able to shove him off anywhere he decides to sit, or beat him there.

2. You forget about his scout move and get charged.

In general though, this shouldn't really be losable. Shoot his units as he approaches, then use your tau-fu to avoid close combat if he's got much left.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 20:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh and never let him use a character called "Sternhammer"
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2007, 22:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

less balanced than grey knights, but i think they are actualy better. they aren't bad, just not balanced. Some armies the will absolutly cream. They have the only troop choise that can take out a fully pimped carnifex with relative ease. okay mabee there is another troop that can, but i don't give a shit.
Also, i like the long fangs. I don't think they should all be taken with lascannons though. I was thinking two with las and two with heavy bolters, since they can split fire. That way you can take your wounds on something cheaper than a lascannon. Wait you play tau
PacoQuerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2007, 03:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

All sound advice. Thanks Guys. My buddy keeps talking as if he's just finished painting my Doom, but it sounds like I should be able to give him a sound thrashing.

Funny thing is he has never beaten my Tau with his smurfs but thinks he's gonna demolish me with 13th...we shall see ;D