Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Do Pathfinders have a place in a mech list?
Old 14 Mar 2007, 04:05   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Do Pathfinders have a place in a mech list?

I will those maker lights ever help a fof attack? Or are they a waist of points?
My list has
3 devilfish with 9 fw
2 hammerheads
6 stealth suits
1 crisis suit hq
and the 8 pathfinders with devilfish
Old 14 Mar 2007, 04:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: do pathfinders have a place in a mech list?

Markerlights will always help a FoF.
With the average number of hits from the Markerlights, you can get two FoF squads to BS 5.
A lucky roll could get the Warfish up to BS 5 as well.
With all Markerlights hitting you could slam in some seekers or Ion/Railhead shots at BS 5 to finish off the unit.

The only problem is that the Pathfinders need to be set up a turn before hand with a good field of fire.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2007, 06:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: do pathfinders have a place in a mech list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
The only problem is that the Pathfinders need to be set up a turn before hand with a good field of fire.
This is the killing point really. Being the only really statc unit in the army, they may become easy pray for your opponents, and thus go down quickly. The other problem that arises is "can you keep thim in LOS", can you always have it so that your pathfinders are marklighting for your mobile units? Or can it turn out that your mobiel units will split off and go after targets that the pathfinders can't get to fast enough. If you can get past these two bumps, then pathfinders should be a god send for your army.
Old 14 Mar 2007, 08:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Do Pathfinders have a place in a mech list?

Quote:
You could PROBABLY (I had no opportunity to do so myself) the Pathfinders to set up a firelane to a place where the enemy WILL GO; i.e. a mission objective, etc. This way, you keep them safe from enemy fire the turn they set up, and they still perform a valuable role on the battlefield.
Besides, you can use the PFs as a lure for a Kauyon for the enemy...

Notice this works best with take and hold-like scenarios, but can easily work with nearly every other game, too (although shooty armies often don`t do you the favor to move into your field of fire...).
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2007, 10:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

O´Bonesaw is right.

Plus a small unit of 6 pathfinders and one ´ui for leadership comes at only 106 points. It is easy to have the unit make their points back, and even if not you loose not really much, do you?

I commonly set my pathfinders up in first turn, sometimes I use scouting to get into better cover. That way I should have all the best LOS I can get for them with still being in relative safety.

The devilfisch will always come handy in any mechlist, and it got that little gimmick to support deepstriking.

All in all pathfinders are a option worth of taking. Not a must, but definitely worth it...

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2007, 13:58   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Plus a small unit of 6 pathfinders and one ´ui for leadership comes at only 106 points. It is easy to have the unit make their points back, and even if not you loose not really much, do you?
Trogdor-

I think your point values are off. A minimally equipped 6-man team of pathfinders w/DF comes in at 152 pts, not counting upgrades.

dupreyjaq -

Alternatively, you could split your pathfinders into two squads. You could cover more of the board with two teams and you wouldn't have all your eggs in one basket, if your opponent tries to take them out.

-Darklord

Friendly fire, isn't...

The diversionary attack you are ignoring is the enemy's main assault!

The 5 second fuses on grenades are all actually 3 seconds.
kurtisxxxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2007, 14:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupreyjaq
I will those maker lights ever help a fof attack? Or are they a waist of points?
My list has
3 devilfish with 9 fw
2 hammerheads
6 stealth suits
1 crisis suit hq
and the 8 pathfinders with devilfish
Heya,

Pathfinders can really shine in your list, or be a total waste of points. Prior to the 4thRuleBookFAQ, it was worth having because it was a skimmer you could get on the board fast. However with the FAQ it's just like a normal Devilfish squad. The only advantage of it being there would be to get Pathfinders, not the Devilfish, but the Pathfinders don't do the kind of damage pulse rifle FireWarriors do, and Pathfinders are totally static when using lights or even rail rifles.

That said, if you're facing folk who routinely have very little to shoot at with their anti-infantry guns, like heavy bolters, due to you being mechanized or stealthed, etc, you may find your pathfinders setting up to throw lights only to be totally hosed by firepower much too quickly. If you're facing folk who don't turn on those infantry right away, they may stick around, such as you showing them later in the game, after the party has started. The markerlights can increase the firepower of a few of your units, rather quickly, so they can help. Or you could give them rail rifles and just take a covered position and attempt to collect a few skulls early on (and draw attention, no doubt).

Sadly, I don't use my Pathfinders much anymore, as I play Cities of Death as often as possible and they just don't have much place there with their heavy lights--I'd rather have units which move and don't require long range line of sight.

So think about how you're playing, who you're playing and what you need the Pathfinders for. If they're just there to be something other than FireWarriors, I would say don't bother. Only take Pathfinders if you know you have a good use and reason for them. If you think they'll just get hosed early on due to firepower and them being on the board turn one--then don't bother. If you plan on holding them back, think about how much they're not doing the turns you're holding back, that FireWarriors may have been doing something. Have a reason, and they're good. Have no reason, and they will be very `so-so.'

Cheers,
Old 14 Mar 2007, 14:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I like using a squad of 8 in my 1700 point mech list.

Against most enemies I deploy them on the board. I pick a spot where they can see one or two enemy units, preferably short ranged ones, and they can't be seen by anything else. I use their markerlights to help me obliterate that unit on turns 1 and 2. After that they can either hop back into their fish, move to contest/claim objectives or maybe even shoot anything that's wandered into their line of sight.

Just remember to utilize their nice 36" range! That can be a real life saver, deploy them in cover where possible.

The primary concern though is keeping them out of sight of things that will kill them. Don't deploy them across from something like a devastator squad, or even a tactical squad.

They want to be shooting something that can't shoot back, something that will be trying to run up and assault them.

Against really fast armies (like tyranids!) i don't bother deploying them usually because I find that it just gets them killed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2007, 17:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

@ Darklord: Nope, I meant what I wrote.

6 pathfinders+ shas´ui-upgrade are worth 106 victory points. The DF is a dedicated transport and counts seperately when calculating VPs.

Sorry if I have been somewhat unclear...

Greetz, Trogdor

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2007, 17:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
@ Darklord: Nope, I meant what I wrote.

6 pathfinders+ shas´ui-upgrade are worth 106 victory points. The DF is a dedicated transport and counts seperately when calculating VPs.

Sorry if I have been somewhat unclear...

Greetz, Trogdor
Actually that's the cost of 8 Pathfinders and shas'ui. 6 with shas'ui are 82 points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote