Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ravenwing Nastiness
Old 14 Mar 2007, 03:13   #1 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

Default Ravenwing Nastiness

Ok so I have not faced it as of yet but I am sure to soon. The new dark angel codex has given raven wing bikers a scout move. This means if they get first turn they can assault units 30" from where they were deployed (12" scout, 12" move 6" assault).
I am sure you can see the problem when playing static or hybrid.
Any solutions/comments?

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2007, 03:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Raven wing Nastiness

Deploy further back, trust me it works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2007, 03:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Kroot. Attack bikes are lousy in assault because of their small numbers relative to their points cost. A large squad of kroot can easily swamp and bring down a sqaud of bikers.
Old 14 Mar 2007, 04:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

What Vimes said. Set up a trap, bikers arn't that cheap IIRC, so you shouldent be facing too many. At the worst, just give them a sacraficial unit, i.e. one that will die in the first round of combat (heck use an etheral to make them run). When the bikes are through with your unit, those bikers will find that their suddenly alone and out in the open, except for the sizable Tau army now surrounding them, . In fact, it would be perfect if your opponent did this with that spiffy new DA commander on a jetbike, you'd have him all to yourself, >.
Old 14 Mar 2007, 05:09   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, I should be getting a lot of practice with this one from the other perspective. But my guess is that you are going to want to take Ion Cannons and Sniper Drones as normal with a MEq army. Prime target for them is going to be Sammael until he drops. And bikes are not going to be running up the side of buildings, so make sure to use structures to your advantage. That is really the biggest point, I think. Bikes have to take Dangerous Terrain Tests to move through cover, including when they charge you in cover. Given how small their units are and how expensive they can be, this makes it likely that they will pick an exposed target before one in cover. Make sure you force them to take as many tests as you can.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2007, 06:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ah yes, I forgot about the Dangerious Terrain Tests. I have increadibly good luck with those, i.e. my opponint has lost quite a few bikes that way. The absolutly hilarious part was one of my opponents was a DA player, and had some kind of re-roll for DT tests on ther Ravenwing bikes at the time. It was the first game IIRC, he shoots them straight across the board and bam, fails a DT test. "No worries, these boys get another chance", procedes to roll and fail, "WTF!", .
Old 14 Mar 2007, 06:45   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Ah yes. They use to all get Skilled Rider, meaning they could reroll those. Make sure your opponent notices that the new codex removed that ability for most of them.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2007, 12:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

thats almost as bad as ravenguard nastiness!
dragoniccam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2007, 13:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

still, its gonna be very mean to mech lists.

samael in his land speeder.
2 6 man squads broken down into 4 of 3, each with a meltagun.
2 attack bikes with multi meltas.
5 land speeders with h.bolters and assault cannons.
and i still have 200pts to spend. (hmm. might look into ways of maxing out on speeders and attack bikes- no codex to hand. can you only get them in a ravenwing squad if you have the 6 biker guys?)

list lacks bodies though, and any serious cc army will trounce them, given a chance.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2007, 14:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

This looks like a job for "Pulse Death". Enough Pulse Rifle, Burst Cannon equivilent shots will bring him down pretty quick (except sammy, but you can railgun him) Since he'll have a lot of saves to make, but not that many men to make them with. One thing you can do is place cheaper units (kroot, human auxiliaries) in front of your main line where you think he may try to assault. If he charges pull models off from BTB first. Due to (relatively) low tau ld. and general shoodiness in CC (it'll take a good sized kroot unit to do much damage), it's fairly likely that they'll run. Good news is if the rest of your units are >3" back he wont be able to pile into them since he can only consolidate due to having no one in BTB. Now apply, double-tapped pulse lovin'
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote