Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] Cover the Evacuation: Tau vs. Necrons, 2000pts
Old 12 Mar 2007, 19:13   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default [BatRep] Cover the Evacuation: Tau vs. Necrons, 2000pts

[BatRep] Cover the Evacuation: Tau vs. Necrons, 2000pts

Hello all, it's been a while since I used my Tau (having heard the call of the dark powers....) but managed a game on the weekend which is easily the highlight of my 40k gaming thus far. I may be a little off on some of the wargear, and thus points, but we were both 2000 give or take a trooper or so. I enjoyed myself so much I even decided to add some fluff. Enjoy!

Necrons
Lord - Res Orb, Veil of Darkness
10 Immortals
10 Pariah
2 x 20 Warriors
3 Heavy Destroyers
Monolith

Tau - Brightmoon Cadre, 2nd Mechanized Division, 5th Squadron
Shas'O - TL PR, VRT
2 x 4 Stealth, BC & TA, Shas'ui w/ ML
3 x 10 FW, Pulse Rifles, Shas'ui
[Transports]Warfish - TA, Decoys
2 x 2 Piranha - FB, TA, Flechettes, Decoys
2 x Railhead - SMS, Decoys, Disruption, Flechettes, Multitracker
1 x Ionhead - SMS, Decoys, Disruption, Flechettes, Multitracker

Game was Gamma Level Seek and Destroy

Shas'O Spyd'B'Ump, commander of the 2nd Mechanized Division of the Brightmoon Cadre, was ordered to this former imperial world to investigate the loss of communication with the Earth Caste mission deployed in advance of colonization. The former Imperial world had been decimated in the expansion and was far down the list for colonization priority. The Earth Caste engineers had been on the ground only a few rotaa when communication was lost. Their last report indicated they'd begun clearing a former lightly urbanized area of the rubble left over from the fighting. Preliminary pathfinder and stealth team reports indicated to B'Ump'O that the Earth Caste mission had been entirely wiped out, the damage to their remaining vehicles and equipment consistent with gauss weaponry. B'Ump'O had faced the Necron before, but nonetheless ordered the Air Caste fleet support to be on high alert for emergency evac during his patrol.

Deployment:
Terrain is four large forests in each corner, and a large one-level ruined building dead center on a 4x6 table.

Necrons: Warriors, Immortals and Lord deploy in a phalanx, center left (to me) mostly behind the large ruin, pariahs in the woods to the right, destroyers behind same woods. Monolith in reserve.

Tau: FW all mounted in their Fishes, line up mostly blocking the space between the large building and left forest, hammerheads all to the right corner with a firing lane clear across the board, piranha just behind them. Stealths infiltrate into right forest next to the hammerheads. Shas'O in reserve.

Necrons win 1st Turn, he goes first.

Turn 1

Necrons: Lord veils with a squad of warriors, lands forward of the parked Dfish. A good portion of the squad is within rapid fire range of the leftmost Fish. Lots of 6's, one dead Fish but the FW are okay and hop out with about half the squad behind the dead fish and the other half along the left side of the hull. Other warriors stay put, about half of them can see the rightmost Fish....aggrivating amount of 6's....another dead Fish, another squad of FW jump clear of the wreck without incident and hunker down behind. Immortals move forward and to my left, lining up on the center Fish. 6's , dead fish, FW okay and hunker down behind the wreck as well. The pariah squad moves forward to the edge of the forest, still in cover, nothing in range. The heavy destroyers hop over the forest towards the hammerhead group, they bounce all their shots of the closest hammerhead.

Tau: Hammerheads maneover left to get a line of site on the template-bait fish-killers across the board. My turn for some rolls in my favour and two pie plates reduce the squad to the lord (with a wound) and a single warrior, with some help from the half squad of FW with LOS. Ion head fires SMS and Ion cannon at the destroyers dropping 2. Piranha move full range forming a line across the right side of the board. Stealths pop out of the forest moving left to cover the one approach to the now formidable fortress of dead fish, nothing in range for them to shoot, assault move to get behind some fish-wreck cover.

B'Ump'O remained at the landing zone, near the orignal Earth Cast mission drop site, in order to direct the various elements of his Cadre around the surrounding countryside. It was the ranking Shas'ui of one of the 5th Squadron's attached stealth team that radioed in the enemy contact. A large contingent of Necron infantry appeared as the squadron swept the area about what would have been what the imperials called a "country estate", likely for one of their local ranking beaureacrats. The engagement began badly for his Firewarriors with all three of their transports being destroyed immediately. Thankfully the Shas'ui of each team reported no casualties. B'Ump'O immediatly ordered an emergency Orca retrieval of the stranded warriors, and ordered the teams to keep their heads down and clear of the fight unless absolutely necessary. The necrons were in large enough force that it could turn to a slaughter quickly. A quick communication with the Air Caste fleet in orbit told him he would be delayed in getting to the battle as there was only one available Orca in range, B'Ump'O's decision was to rescue his troops first and scramble a transport lighter from orbit. The squadron's tank commanders reported some successes in destroying a number of necrons that had materialized ahead of the main force, but as always with the Necron they were reparing and getting up even as the tanks maneoevered to effect an advantage.

Turn 2

Necrons: About half the warriors get back up. Monolith arrives and scatters out of range of the cowering mass of little blue men and forces the two Railheads to make room. Particle whips everything in range to a sum total of one dead piranha (immobilized, Decoys for the reroll, destroyed...grrr) and one piranha losing it's FB, one from each squad. Lord Veils them back behind his phalanx. Pariah retreat further back in the woods away from the piranha. About half the stationary warriors squad fire at the forward railhead to no effect. Immortals move back and to the right behind the warriors, nothing in LOS. Remaining Destroyer moves toward center board and takes a shot at the Ionhead to cover his retreat, misses entirely.

Tau: Shas'O remains in reserve. FW gallantly hide behind their wrecks. Stealths stay put and the Shas'ui both fire their ML at the Monolith, one hit. The two railheads split up, one to the left towards the warriors, squared up to the monolith, the other slips back and right to clear it's LOS past the monolith at a good portion of the phalanx. ML hit used to boost the left railhead's BS, hits, penetrating, one dead monolith. Victory cries from the FW. The second railhead fires it's template at the Lord and fish-killers, drops the warriors to one and puts a wound on the lord again. [NOTE: There was some discussion with my opponent post game regarding him not taking armour saves against the template at some point, which I think may have happened in this turn as I fired two railheads with both railgun options thus providing the most likely suspect for the AP misinterpretation, neither of us caught the mistake, as it turned out that only a couple warriors actually failed their wbb from this hit and it was at or below 50% already it probably wouldn't have mattered too much in the outcome, but I mention it here for the sake of honesty and completeness.] Full strength piranha squad move to the left towards the main bulk of the necron phalanx, takes a potshot at the final Destroyer with it's remaining FB, but misses. Lone piranha drops back towards my table edge, nothing to shoot.

The Team Leader of one of the stealth teams reported the arrival of a Necron Monolith. B'Ump'O sent the order to the Hammerhead commanders to make it target priority one. The exposed firewarriors were just out of range of it's fearsome weaponry and had to be protected until the Orca dropship arrived to evacuate them. The stealth teams were ordered to assist in covering the firewarrior's retreat, but the team leaders brashly chose to assist the tank commanders in destroying the Monolith first. Luckily one Shas'ui was able to effect a markerlight on the monolith and the monstrous pyramid was brought crashing down by a powerful close range railgun shot. B'Ump'O could hear the cheers of his warriors over the comms system and was proud.

Turn 3

Necrons: Most necrons make their WBB. Lord abandons the warriors and grabs the Immortals 6" away and veils them in to the right corner, no scatter, LOS to all 3 hammerheads and lone piranha. Squad takes aim at the Monolith killer railhead, 6's galore, immobilized, decoys for the reroll.....destroyed...weeping from the FW. Pariah move forward to the edge of the forest again, Ionhead in range.....damn 6's....Ion cannon blown off and crew shaken. Lone destroyer fires on the remaining railhead, no damage. Phalanx forward into the building, fires all in range gauss at the remaining railhead, 6's, vehicle destroyed. FW are positively terrified at this point.

Tau: Shas'O remains in reserve. Ionless Ionhead slips back out of range of pariahs and moves to present front armour to the immortals. No firing. Piranha pair moves further toward the main phalanx, drops a pair of warriors. Stealths JSJ over the dead fish fortress, hitting a few warriors in the phalanx. Lone piranha moves close to immortals and drops it's gun drones, kills an immortal with it's FB. Gun drones don't do any damage firing, but assault in hoping for a tied up squad of gauss blaster pain, die horribly instead.

Despite their success with the Monolith, the battle turned heavily against the Brightmoon contigent, as both Railgun equipped hammerheads were destroyed by the mass of horrifyingly effective gauss weapons. The tank crews managed to survive, the squadron's piranha shuttling them to safety with the Firewarriors hidden behind their wrecked transports. B'Ump'O was frantically communicating his need for a transport to the Air Caste command and control when the Ion equipped hammerhead commander reported the loss of his main gun. The team leaders of both stealth teams immediately requested release to move to the tank's aid, but B'Ump'O impressed on them the need to protect the Shas'la once more. The tank commander himself was out of communications by that point, though a close by piranha pilot reported the tank was under power and maneouvering.

Turn 4

Necrons: All but instakilled necrons get back up. Lord veils the immortals back towards the Pariah-forest, fire on the ionless-ionhead shaken again, but lives, much cheering from the FW. In-range portions of the phalanx fires on the piranha pair to no effect, much more cheering from the FW. Lone destroyer slips into my deployment zone on the far right, nothing alive in LOS or range.

Tau: Shas'O finally arrives, aims to strike in directly behind phalanx next to understrength squad, scatters just over the width of the necron phalanx back towards my lines, phew. Rapid fire plasma drops two warriors. Lone piranha moves back towards the dead fish fortress, and does a driveby on the final Destroyer, killing it. The ionless-ionhead's commander gets a case of delusional psychosis and decides that since the Immortals and Lord are in range, but he can't shoot at them, he's going to tank shock them. Much derision from my opponent....who proceeds to roll some more 6's, two of them..... They then proceed to run all the way to the table edge (I wished for more 6's but hey...), and stay in play. Stealth JSJ over thier wrecks and drop a couple of warriors.

B'Ump'O finally boarded the Air Caste shuttle, and urged the pilot beyond safety to get him to the battle. The transport was moving so fast by the time he reached the field that he missed his landing badly, facing the entire core of the Necron phalanx. Disoriented and off balance due to his rough drop, B'Ump'O still managed to kill two of the sinister metal skeletons he faced. One of the stealth team leaders reported the Shas'O's glorious last stand to the command center and the other Shas'ui on the field. The commander of the crippled Hammerhead was enraged at the loss of the commander and ordered his crew to run down the unit of Necrons off their bow. The skeletal warriors and their lord showed uncharacteristic caution and backed off clear out of sight. At the urging of the command center the Tank commander pulled back, as the ranking Shas on the field he had a battle to direct.

Turn 5

Necrons: All but instakilled necrons stand up. Shas'O dies immediately in a hail of gauss fire, FW are dismayed, but proud of their commander's sacrifice. Lord and immortals regroup (barely...) and veils back behind the phalanx, deeming a strike into the dead fish fortress too risky. Pariah's finally emerge from the forest and attempt to get rapid fire range on the ionless-ionhead, bad terrain roll leaves about half the squad out of range and the reckless tank commander and his crew live, but no firing again. Remainder of phalanx fire directed at the piranha, no effect.

Tau: Lone piranha moves closer to dead fish fortress to preserve it's VPs and lend support in case of a last ditch immortal strike does decide to show up. Ionless ionhead commander comes to his senses and retreats as far back out of range of the pariahs as possible. Piranha pair close to melta range on the nearest portion of the phalanx and drop a warrior with it's lone FB. Stealths JSJ with the usual pair of warriors falling to pulse fire.

Finally receiving word that the Orca was inbound, the lone tank commander ordered remaining stealth and piranha units to cover the evactuation. The senior warriors commend their fates to the greater good and surge forward to attack the barely weakened Necron force. The firewarriors showed their gratitude with a roaring cheer for their comrades.

Turn 6:

Necrons: All but instakilled warriors stand up. Lord prudently decides not to gamble striking the dead fish fortress and moves with the Immortals to close on the Piranha. A hail of gauss fire from the phalanx destroys one piranha, blows the final fusion blaster off the second and stuns it. But one survives. Pariah move towards the ionless-ionhead but fail to destroy it, though it's unable to shoot again.

Tau: With everything either out of range or sitting still, the Stealths Jump over the wrecks one last time to take a last shot at the phalanx, drop a couple warriors from the larger squad but fail to take it below 50%.

Outcome: Draw (He had a lead of about 125 VP)

When the Orca touched down it had the benefit of four destroyed hulls to cover the firewarrior evacuation. Both stealth teams remained on the ground until the last moment, having suffered no casualties they requested permission to attempt a retrieval of B'Ump'O's battlesuit. The command center assented, ordering both teams in close to the enemy phalanx. They were successful, and managed to rescue one survivor from the downed piranha flight close by, their stealth fields covering them adequately, there were no further casualties. In final report the Orca lifted off with all thirty Firewarriors of the 5th squadron, all stealth teams, both downed tank crews and the crew of the final Hammerhead, the tank had to be abandoned as it was too damaged to lift off with the Orca. The lone remaining piranha of the squadron dropped it's gun drones to gather post-battle intelligence and flew alone back to the landing zone where it was airlifted with the command center. The two Manta attached to the Brightmoon expidition commenced orbital bombardment immediately on confirmation of the evacuation, aided by the gun drone reports, as part of their standing orders when engaging Necrons. The survivors held a grand celebration for their lost commander. A messaged received from the Aun during the return journey to the Brightmoon Cadre headquarters commdended the bravery of B'Ump'O and his subcommanders, and informed the Cadre command that they would be given the opportunity to join the task force being formed to cleanse the world of the Necron menace, and make it safe for the Earth Caste to return.

Post Game:

After the first turn I thought I was doomed, though it turned out that it preserved so many VP in the end that it was a good thing. I think I moved my tanks well (aside from the reckless tankshock, but hey it was go for broke by that point), the movement lanes got restricted fairly quickly with a dead monolith and, wo hammerheads and 3 fish in my half of the board and I essentially had to run circles around the newly minted terrain to keep my skimmers moving fast and pick the big firing lanes for as long as they were open. I know my opponent tends to turtle with a huge VP reserve and then goes a hopping with that veiling lord....but he is learning what a pain that phalanx could be so it is changing his tactics though the fortress of dead fish kept him from advancing as I think he should have. I also think his choice of using the warriors first with the veil instead of the immortals saved me a huge load of trouble in the course of the game. My opponent moved very well also, and his preternatural abilities with the dice as usual contributed to his successes ( I think there were 3 seperate instances where he rolled the triple 6 on 2 or less dice from the firing pool...he was joking about getting three dice showing 6 tattooed on his hand by the end of the game). My mistakes were getting preoccupied with the monolith to the point of keeping my tanks bunched, ripe for that Immortal strike when it finally came, and picking a bad spot for my commander to show up when he finally did. I think my opponent should have been at me with those pariah from the get go, all those gauss blasters and warscythes were a big investment to be used as little as they were (which is probably what kept them as the "Pariahs of the Forest" as we took to calling them) and instead he should have hung back with the heavy destroyers on that side of the board. All things considered the Monolith's scatter saved me completely.

I'm pretty proud I managed to fight him to a standstill with roughly half of my army out of commission from turn one, and a dead monolith is always good for a chuckle, but I did have a healthy dose of good news/bad news luck this game. I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts on what I could have done better, particularly in limiting his movement in any way...something I find increadibly tough with a deepstrike-on-command-gun-range-nearly-as-good-as-mine army like this...filling the board with devilfish wrecks not included of course .

(Great report, +1, -Mal)
Old 12 Mar 2007, 20:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: [BatRep] Cover the Evacuation: Tau vs. Necrons, 2000pts

I'm curious as to why you didn't move your fire warriors into their wrecked fishes to support your stealths and tanks. 30 pulse shots per turn would have greatly increased your kills. If he had decided to fire on the softer fire warriors, then your hammerheads probably would have lived longer.

Why do you have twin linked weaponry on a BS5 Shas'o?

Very good report. Bumpo made me smile.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 21:46   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
why you didn't move your fire warriors into their wrecked fishes to support your stealths and tanks.
Quite frankly it never occurred to me the wrecks weren't anything but impassable terrain. Guess my noob is showing. That, and as they were effectively shielded from attention it was a good chunk of vp I was keen on keeping off my opponent's mind. I'll remember that for next time though, thanks [reaches for his BGB] Any chance of a supporting page reference...I can hear some cranky.

Quote:
Why do you have twin linked weaponry on a BS5 Shas'o?
Because he was designed specifically to be a speed bump (hence the name ) I wanted him to show up, kill something MEQ for certain (or put some wounds on the lord in this case), I know missing on a BS5 is a long shot, but he was a one shot weapon, so he had a "must hit" task and hedging one's bets never hurts. I also had the idea to be able to run in and hold something up, and last perhaps a round or two in combat (reason for the VRT) bouncing in and out of combat as long as he was alive. At the start of the game I'd planned to have him with the FW as a counterpunch to let them get away, but when I saw the Monolith was going to deepstrike I wanted to have a distraction ready for whichever squad the Lord was with, so as to potentially avoid getting smacked twice hard in succession. The deepstrike was a gamble, but in the list design he was originally for Lord/Commander/Zoanthrope (my main enemies) hunting and I know my Necron opponent always takes veil of darkness on his footslogger lord, so the mobility provided by deepstriking was preferable.

I admit it was probably overkill, so in the future though I'll probably give him a fusion blaster or burst cannon, to save some points, maybe a shield generator. Now if I could run a lower cost version of the XV22 sans drones, I'd be all over it for B'Ump'O....or rather his successor who needs a similar name.....maybe Shas'O Ho'ol'Dup

Thanks for the read and feedback!
Old 13 Mar 2007, 14:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You can take cover on top of your devilfishes.

I had a game against a Feral Ork army with about 60 grots, 120 orks mostly madboyz, and a pair of Squigoths (few other things that didn't do much but this was the core). It was escalation and I got a pair of railheads on the second turn. They flew towards opposite corners of the board hoping to draw a few mobs away. Third turn I brought in three warfish with 10 fire warriors each. He had pushed pretty far forward at this point and I was able to make a wall with my fishes to rapid fire behind. 51 pulse shots later there were noticably less orks. Unfortunatly still far too many. Return fire knocked out all three fishes and a hammerhead. I was now stuck in a corner with no way to escape.

The wrecks formed a convienent fortress that my fire warriors ran on top of to rapid fire the next wave of orks down with. I had a broadside team and a few crisis suits hiding behind the wall trying to kill his cannon equiped squiggoths before they shelled by fire warriors into oblivion. My fire warriors killed about 90 orks by themselves, including a beating up a boar mounted warboss that tried to charge them. Unfortunatly the constant hammering from the cannons and slugga shots (BS3 no less) from the charging orks whittled them down, and the last 10 or so orks took the fish wall and swept into my broadsides.

Of the 130 orks and 60 grots that charged my lines, 8 orks and 30 grots lived. My fire warriors did so much damage that despite me not having a single model on the board, the game was a draw. Quite good given the crippling blow I had been dealt early on (game stretched on for 8 damn turns).
Old 13 Mar 2007, 15:43   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Now that sounds like a fun game. I can imagine the ork player's face going from triumph to "uh-oh"

Followup question: Aside from in an assault, are there any defensive benefits from parking the FW on top of the wrecks? I can't seem to find any in the BGB, it looks like for shooting purposes the FW would be just as vulnerable as if they were out in the open. I understand the main goal is to get 30 pulse rifles back in the fight, nothing to sneeze at, however I mostly won't be shooting at nice soft squishy greenskins, rather more Necrons, Marines and the occasional Tyranid. I ask only because in this particular case the positioning of my fish fortress ended up being a major deterrent from coming back there, the only thing he tried to visit me with was a monolith and it scattered badly, then didn't survive long enough to get into range with it's one-shot-kill-the-whole-army weapon. If, Aun forbid, I lose all three fish again like that I'd like to have all the info I can get on whether to hunker down or switch to a gunline. I'm finding this game more and more to be about making the best choice in a specific instance rather than following textbook strategies and tactics. And as I mostly play in a small group my opponents know what to expect from my Tau and generally tool to smack the poor little blue guys, thus I'm usually in the position of having to react rather than be proactive, but that's the army I really want to play anyhow - adaptable and resilient as a whole.

Please don't take this as being argumentative, you've helped immensely with the clarification on wrecks and given me something to think about and I really appreciate it. I'm just being greedy and looking for more input. Thanks!

Old 13 Mar 2007, 15:51   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, a wrecked skimmer is going to be at least a 5+ cover save. Not going to make much difference against infantry, but every little bit helps if your opponent starts turning the heavier guns on your Fire Warriors.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2007, 22:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It helps if you remember that those skimmers have been shot up and crashed so there are lots of holes and places to hide in. One thing that I've changed about my play style because of that game was that I keep my kroot back behind my skimmers instead of sending them out as skirmishers. I had two squads of 10 kroot that did decent damage to the orks and slowed them down a bit, but could really have helped counter charging the orks later in the game.

I wouldn't recommend counting on having all your skimmers killed to make a wall, but having a contigency plan in place is good. I would definatly try to switch to a gunline in this situation. Your stealth suits can easily hop in and out untouched and even serve as a respectable countercharge unit if there are only a few enemies (they have 3 str. 4 attacks apiece).

Against Necrons with the destroyers gone, the cover wouldn't have helped much unless the pariahs had tried to charge you. Against marines and their large numbers of heavy weapons, and the heavier Tyranid stuff, the 5+ save will definatly help. The benefit of cover against a couple gaunts or a genestealer or two is not to be underestimated. A pair of stealers charging fire warriors in the open will probably win, but if the fire warriors get to hit first from cover they have a chance. This means you don't have to waste an entire squad's firepower on one or two models.
Old 13 Mar 2007, 23:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to AvalonSurfer739

In your report It said you penetrated the Monolith with one Railgun shot... I was under the impression that the Monolith had a special rule that takes a weapons STR down to 8. So that would mean it would be impossible to penetrate it since its armor is 14.

Sry don't know much about Necrons.

-Made by the awsome Photoshoper TchicoriTa
AvalonSurfer739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2007, 00:11   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalonSurfer739
In your report It said you penetrated the Monolith with one Railgun shot... I was under the impression that the Monolith had a special rule that takes a weapons STR down to 8. So that would mean it would be impossible to penetrate it since its armor is 14.

Sry don't know much about Necrons.
That is an Eldar rule. The Monolith just ignores the extra dice from Melta Guns and such. The Railgun are statistically about the best weapons in the game against it, shot for shot.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2007, 03:09   #10 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

I read that a wrecked vechile gives a 4+ cover save. Am I mistaken?

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote