Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Why in Tau vs. Tau games does neither Tau side ever go into H2H combat?
Old 09 Mar 2007, 23:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to orkkrusher
Default Why in Tau vs. Tau games does neither Tau side ever go into H2H combat?

I have played and or seen about 4 Tau vrs. Tau battles. In only 1 battle have I seen Tau go into close combat on purpose against each other. The players were Mech vrs. Static. The Mech did multiple tank shocks and mass Firewarrior/Suit Close combat. The move was so shocking that the Static Tau never expected it and lost. In all the Tau vrs. Tau battles only this one time did they ever go into hand to hand combat. Everyone was shocked at my hobby store. The mech player was very desperate and assaulted and barely ended up winning the game by winning the objectives and outassualting the enemy. Please note I only saw the end and did not see the whole battle. All I know is what I saw which was the assault in midgame and the Mech guy was very desperate. It was really funny. But why do I never see/read anything else on Tau going into close combat willingly against other Tau (auxilleries don't count).
Old 10 Mar 2007, 00:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler
Default Re: Why in Tau vrs. Tau games do either Tau side never go into H2H combat?

I'd do it.

Hell, I've assaulted Warp Spiders, Grey Knights, Space Marines, Space Marine Scouts, and a Dreadnought--with Fire Warriors. Granted, it's never been that effective, but in the case of the Warp Spiders, that was the reason for charging them. Sweeping advanced on the Massacre, fell short of my sniper drones and were annihilated my next shooting phase.

Oh, and my Shas'O has killed Assault Terminators in close combat. Huzzah for shield generators!

I'm not to big on using Kroot in my lists. Might do it every now and then when I need some cannon fodder, but I prefer the purist approach.

Tau players generally don't make use of close combat because they excel at just shooting. They're so used to this that they forget that close combat can actually be more effective than shooting under the right circumstances.

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2007, 00:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Why in Tau vrs. Tau games do either Tau side never go into H2H combat?

Tau battle suits are really underestimated when it comes to combat.

If squads don't have power weapons or fists and they've only got a couple models left I love charging into combat and kicking them to death.

Against other tau this can be even move effective especially with a Ninj'O

I wouldn't expect kroot to get into combat though, the other player will be expecting that and has many options to counter it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2007, 02:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

yah, a squad of fire dragons jumped out of a wave serpent and nuked a devilfish, luckily not my hammerhead. I knew they would tear shit up and there were only 3 of them, so i thought my shas'el could take them. Unfortunatly they soon reduced him to one wound and my later unpinned fire warriors had to charge in. In the end it worked out ok, but that template and two fusions were not acceptable, so it was probobly the right decision.

I like kroot, because a small squad as seen as a small threat, that one unit of elite troops is sent to take out. I find that this offten causes my 70 points to kill off an eaqual or offten greater portion of his say, dire avengers, that are then delt with by as little as my 3 devilfish...and the sky ray...
PacoQuerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2007, 06:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

You probably don't see it too oftin because, quite frankly, Tau in cc is boring. In my experience, it's not that Tau get whooped easily in hth (that more like the kroot), but with FW's they can't really do a lot of damage, which means cc drag on and on, unless the enemy has cc troops form hell.
Old 10 Mar 2007, 06:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

Well, last Tau vs. Tau game i had I assualted with all my crissis in to his fire warriors. His kroot were mowed down by my railgun. My firewarriors hit his tanks with grenades.(most at least.)

It was weird, my shooting wasn't to good so I had to assualt.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
T pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2007, 06:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

my commander has a history of beating the snot out of enemy commanders- the only reason this was possible was the stimulant injector and shield genirator. without these he would have been mincemeat every battle. :funny: *thinks* oh yeah I'm good...
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2007, 07:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

I've gotten my Shas'O into close combat with my friends' Shas'O, just for the fun of it. They ended up being tied up the whole game. Nobody won

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2007, 14:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

MY Shas'O is pretty legendary in close combat. He survived 5 turns of being locked in close combat with a greater deamon of nurgle, taking it down to 1 wound and never suffereing any...the dang deamon prince came over and spoiled the fun later on though. My Shas'O was also the reason that the evil side "won" the Medusa V campaign. Our store had three massive megfabattles with +20 players. 1st one evil owned, second good owned...third was aclose as heck. (My Tau fought for the evil side on all three occasions becuase their was to many good) One of our objectives was to kill the elected enemy commander, it was one of the primary goals. It was an extremely tooled up Sisters of Battle Matriarch....lastturn as a last ditch effort my SHas'O came in a killed her off and he took 3 wounds...she was worth so many vp's it barely pushed out team over the top. ;D I love my Shas'O in CC, it is truly a viscous model. Not many people give them credt. The only achilles heal they have is a power fist, otherwise their solid. CC with others models is soetimes advisable, i.e. you dont want those nurgling to charge into your stealths and tie them up so you charge your fire warrior at them or somesuch. Or some last ditch effort to reach and objective. Anyone ever had a game where victory depended on you charging a unit massacring them and then rolling a 4(or whatever) or better on you massacre result to get within proximity of the objective. Those are always the sweat jerkers and rarely pay off but when they do its amazing...okay i am rambling now, summerization CC is great in certain situations.

C/-Rt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2007, 16:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

actualy, at inititve 3, no power weapon...not so great sorry. they can close combat in a pinch though.
PacoQuerak is offline   Reply With Quote