Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Tau player, have not played in over a year.
Old 09 Mar 2007, 18:32   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New Tau player, have not played in over a year.

Hey Guys!

Im new to these forums, only just found this website yesterday doing a search, so Im not sure what Im doing or if even posting this in the right section.

Anyway, last week a couple of friends of mine have convinced me to play Tau, an I really want to. One of the guys I know is selling me a huge force for a really cheap price so I thought why not. But I have only played one very small game with the Tau, just to see what there like so I dont know mush about them. I am a long time Guard player an have not played a game of 40k in way over a year, (with the exception of last weeks small game) not sure what the new rules are an was wondering if I can get alittle help on the Tau. What are their best units? Whats a good 1500 point list? What are good or bad things to do with them?

Im not clueless on how they play or anything, I read their old codex, (didnt pick up the new one yet) so Im just trying to get back into the game with the new rules. I would like to here somethoughts on the Tau from someone with experence with them, as I will probley play my first big game with them this week. So please any help or thoughts at all are more then welcome?

Thanks all...Clarke
AdmiralClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2007, 18:58   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: New Tau player, an have not played in over a year.

Welcome to the forums, glad you found us.

Without having to write a book, let me summarize-

Please check under the important topics section on this board. There are several good articles on the revised codex, new units and FAQ there that should get you up to speed on the Tau changes since the old codex.

Some of the highlights are:

-Markerlight got much, much more powerful.
-There are some nifty new units, including Phirana skimmers & Sniper Drones
-There is a lot more wargear for individual units.
-The Tau characters got nerfed. Aun'shi is no longer legal, and Farsight is much less powerful than he was.

Just do a search and browse the above articles. These will answer alot of your questions. It is against forum rules to post statlines or verbatim rules from the codex or rule book, so you will want to pick up a new codex as soon as possible.

If you have any additional questions that you cannot find immediate answers to, feel free to ask on the forum. The members here can be very helpful in pointing you to rulebook pages, or providing you with conventional wisdom.

Hope this helps,

-Darklord

Friendly fire, isn't...

The diversionary attack you are ignoring is the enemy's main assault!

The 5 second fuses on grenades are all actually 3 seconds.
kurtisxxxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2007, 23:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: New Tau player, have not played in over a year.

Best advice I could give you is this. You know all those tactics and ideas from the Guard minus the close combat fear? In the words of Yoda, "You must unlearn what you have learned."

Some good 1500 point lists are in the Army List section just under this section. Generally a Crisis Commander with an Aurora config (Cyclic Ion Blaster, Plasma Rifle), two 10-strong Firewarrior squads mounted in Warfish (Devilfish with the gun drones replaced by SMS drones and a Multi-tracker, possible a Targetting Array...essentially a mobile light ownage MACHINE) for a Fish of Fury attack, some Crisis Suits, some Stealth Suits, and whatever else you like. At least, that's off the top of my head though all of that is subject to change to fit the player.

Oh, and welcome to the Tau, where pissing off your enemies isn't just what we do, it's a way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2007, 02:13   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXX
Best advice I could give you is this. You know all those tactics and ideas from the Guard minus the close combat fear? In the words of Yoda, "You must unlearn what you have learned."
HA! You quoted Yoda, that awsome, an advice that must be taken. Yea, Im a huge Star Wars Geek.

I have been reading a few of the threads an articles about the Tau, new changes, best uses an such. I found some helpful info. But, if its ok I just have few questions or so if no'body minds answering?

It seems for the point cost the basic Tau Fire Warriors are the best choice for any army list, what do you suggest is the minimum number of Warriors that I should take? Or how many do you take in a 1500 game?

I really like the Stealth Suit's but they are VERY high in point cost. I can get up to 3 fire warriors for the price of one Suit that can let out just as much fire. Do you think it would be wise to take a lot of these in small games,(1500) or is one unit enough?

Something I have been trying to find out...Do the Drones on tanks use their BS or the tanks BS? Or what if it is a SMS or Burst Cannon in place of the Drone do you also use the tanks BS?

I really like the 'Fish an Fury' attack its really cool. I know that when the Tau jump out of the DevelFish they can shoot at the enemy threw under the tank, but can the enemy shoot them? Or do they need to destroy the Fish first?

An one last question...Do Tau Mechanized (? cant spell) forces work well? I think I want to start one, but for some reason I just cant see them working well in games. In other words, can they be just as effective as a full Guard Mechanized force?

Sorry if that was a lot but thanks to all for the help. Hopefully I can get a good game going this weekend.
AdmiralClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2007, 02:56   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Normally I try to take 3 full squads of FW in a 1500 pt game. I mainly lean toward a hybrid config for my forces so I will only mount 1-2 squads in Warfish. the most popular config I have seen for Warfish mounted FW squads is an 8-man squad. This combined with the Warfish adds to 200 pts even.

Stealth suits, though expensive, very popular due to the fact they can JSJ and have the stealth field. The most popular tactic is to stay approx. 24" from their target, jump 6" during movement to 18" range, let the target have it, and then use assault to jump back out to 24". When the opposing player tries to fire back, the stealth field prevents the oppposing force from firing back.

It says in the codex under mounted drones that they use their own BS when firing from drone cradles. The vehicle BS is not used.

When using an FOF, make sure to be within rapid fire (12") range of your target. FW after disembarking cannot shoot any farther. You can augment the damage they do by using markerlights to increase their Ballistic Skill. The whole point is to do so much damage to the enemy force that they are either annihilated, break from losing too many members to shooting, or are at least weakened severly. The Devilfish chassis is then used to prevent a counterassault from reaching the FW. Since the Devilfish is a skimmer, though, it will not protect the FW from being shot at.

MechTau forces are very popular, but there are some things to be aware of. For one, they are expensive (both in points and $$$) to put together, and you will have a much smaller model count than a similar points count of static or hybrid army. Since everything is mobile, this may preclude you from using Kroot, Vespid or Broadside teams, due to their lack of mobility. I have played MechTau in the past and found it to be very useful, and it is just because of my love for some of the other units that keeps me from using it all the time.

If you are interested, check out the Advanced Tau Tactica website for a comprehensive look at this.

Could a mod attach the URL, please. I seem to be having trouble doing it from here.

-Darklord

Friendly fire, isn't...

The diversionary attack you are ignoring is the enemy's main assault!

The 5 second fuses on grenades are all actually 3 seconds.
kurtisxxxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2007, 03:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Glad you like the Yoda quote, I should note I NEVER quote Star Wars (most of the time talking about your lightsaber in public would probably land you imprison), how's that for a right place, right time quote?

Another note about the FoF tactic is that while the Fish may not shield your FW squad from being shot at it DOES help them a lot with avoiding it. Remember that little-used "Target Priority Check" rule? OH yeah, they've got a TANK right in front of them so if they want to shoot at your little blue men behind it they need to make a Ld test. I must admit I personally find it hilarious yet fitting though there's been whole threads on the realism of it (basically we're just diametrically opposed; some of us think it's perfectly legitimate, some people think it's BS, and so far there seems to be nobody in the middle). So, not only did you unleash holy pulse rifle hell on your enemy, not onlyd id you annihilate/decimate/demoralize them, not only did they possibly have to take a break check, and not only did you just tell them they're not going to be able to easily assault you right back, but you're ALSO telling them they can't just shoot right back at you either. Awesome? Oh yeah. Piss off factor? Through the roof. Legal? As of two editions now.

I'm taking a squad of Stealths but that's just because I like them. How can you not, they're nifty. While no, they may not do the same thing the Firewarriors can they CAN do something they can't and that's piss off your opponent, especially when you've got less than six. They tend not to be a very attractive target, especially at the limit of range for seeing them. They're a point sink but not enormous like a big juicy Vespid squad. They unleash a volley of shots that will wound and cripple squads but not enough to completely annihilate. And most of all they, too, have the JSJ ability. Generally your opponent's going to feel bad about unleashing his best weaponry on them when it's very possible the squad won't even SEE the Stealths and isn't going to be too happy when they avoid the Stealths and they get flanked.

As you said you've played a bit something I should note is that you will get beaten a lot...in the beginning. Before you really feel comfortable with how all the pieces move the puzzle won't even begin to resemble a victory. Thing is that when you DO finally "get it" you're going to have a near-unstoppable juggernaut of an army at your disposal. Any time you're beaten just remember what you di wrong and your next battle WILL go better.

Quote:
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
Old 10 Mar 2007, 07:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

The only advice I can give you is that in my experience static tau SUCK. A basic static army will consist of multitudes of FW's and kroot and broadsides. the only mobility is the mandatory commander. With the ammount of pulse rifle fire this army can put forth it may seem great but FW's are very delicate and any army with heavy bolters or similar will wipe the floor with this armys face.
If anyone can prove me wrong I am open to insults of my narrow minded stupidity. :P
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2007, 15:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Mech Tau armies work exceptionally well, it is probaly the most competative build you can make with a Tau list, hybrid is also pretty good. I would advise avoiding static, its like trying to make a guard army that just doesnt work as well. My favorite unit in the tau arsenal has defenantly got to be the hammerhead. It is extremely survivable, has a massive gun that absolutely excels (more so than just about anything else) in taking out tanks and light infantry. For my mech army i use two mounted fire warrior squads, many people tend to use three. Stealths are definantly worth taking, though they are extremely expensive and finicky to use. You have to be prudent with them and make sure they can avoid assaults which is tricky with a so short ranged gun. But when deployed right they can be absolutely horrendous on light infantry. iF your going i mech i would recommend 2+ Hammerheads, 2+ Firewarrior squads, a shas'o, a squad of stealths, 2 squads of crisis, and soem piranhas for fast attack. Many people build their lists differently but this seems to be a general template i notice alot of mech armies following.

C/-Rt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2007, 15:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Static tau are becoming more viable thanks to thinks like Sniper Drones. They are difficult to play though.

Quote:
Old 10 Mar 2007, 16:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to AvalonSurfer739

Tau is a very fun army to play. They're guns, equipment, and battlesuits look rather cool. I love the way the stand out on the battlefield as high tech troopers. and the Hammerhead tank is definatly one of my favortite tans in the game besides the Leman Russ.

Guard and Tau are very similar in some ways and veyr different is others. They're mian difference is the best style of palying for them.

Mech Tau is very moble and it makes your enitre army able to move freely around the board. Having Devilfishes with your Firewarrior squads is part of this so they can have a quick escape if they enemy gets too close.

Static Tau is basically the same as palying Guard except not as good. We dont get all the cool little rules they get when palying static. You'll likely have to start out with mech Tau until you can afford to get devilfishes for at least two of your firewarrior squads. A static army is one that is completely stationary and can easily be overran by quick close combat units.

What units are in that army that your buying? If we know then we'll be able to tell you the best way to organize them.

-Made by the awsome Photoshoper TchicoriTa
AvalonSurfer739 is offline   Reply With Quote