Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

new to tau
Closed Thread
Old 04 Feb 2005, 00:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default new to tau

Hi i am new here ; D and Well I have begun to start a tau army I fight mainly chaos (Khorne/Iron Warriors), Shooty space marines, and eldar. any tactical information for the tau would be much appreciated.

Tactics

My battle plan is to have the XV15 Stealth Suits hit front line troops or the fast attack compotes of the enemy army. The Drones are to kill troops/heavy weapons/tanks (rhino whale exits blocked). The XV8 Shas'O is to kill heavy tanks or to support other units with heavy fire. The remaining parts of the army will be divided evenly and set up on opposing sides of my table edge to create cross fire and make my opposite divide there force of give my other guys a opportunity to dig trenches and lay down the hurt or move to a more tactical friendly spot and kill all they can.

The list 1991pts
HQ

XV8 Shas'O: plasma rifle, fusion blaster, shield generator, HW multi-tracker - 133

Ethereal: - 50

ELITE

XV15: 5 XV15 Shas’ui: - 150

TROOPS

Fire Warriors: 12 warriors, devilfish - 200

Fire Warriors: 12 warriors - 120

FAST ATTACK

Gun Drone Squadron: 8 Gun Drones - 96

Gun Drone Squadron: 8 Gun Drones – 96

HEAVY SUPPORT

Hammerhead Gunship: rail gun, burst cannon, multi-tracker, decoy launcher, target lock - 170

Hammerhead Gunship: rail gun, burst cannon, multi-tracker, decoy launcher, target lock - 170

Any suggestion what to do with the last 9 points and any suggestions for the whole army
Thanks Zim
Old 04 Feb 2005, 01:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer
Default Re: new to tau

ok lets see what we can do for you.
HQ
overview: lots of unnececary stuff in here time to use the pruning shears
XV8 Shas'O: plasma rifle, fusion blaster, shield generator, HW multi-tracker - 133
switch for a fireknife 'El to save much needed points going down to 85pts

the 'El fulfills the HQ requirements so he's nolonger needed *snip*

ELITE

your main oponents are marines, and yet you have no crisis and all stealths..... ^-^
they get the boot for 3 3man fireknife teams weighing in at 195pts each

TROOPS

lots of fire warriors, your main opponents are dangerous marines, this calls for fishes, drop 2 squads for 2 fishes for the remaining squads and bond them save 80pts

FAST ATTACK

gundrones arent actually all that good but I'd drop them all
HEAVY SUPPORT

drop the TL's without SMS they really dont help that much.and have another one with Ion cannon

the adjuted list comes out to

HQ
Shas'El
Fireknife
85pts

Elites
Crisis
Fireknifex2
-bonded
140pts

Crisis
Fireknifex3
-bonded
205pts

Crisis
Fireknifex3
-bonded
205pts

Troops
FWx12
-bonded
-Shas'ui
-Devilfish
-DL
225pts

FWx12
-bonded
-Shas'ui
-Devilfish
-DL
225pts

FWx12
-bonded
-Shas'ui
-Devilfish
-DL
225pts

FWx12
-bonded
-Devilfish
-DL
215pts

Heavy Support

HH
Railgun
BC
MT
DL
165pts

HH
Railgun
BC
MT
DL
165pts

HH
Railgun
Ion
MT
DL
145pts

2000pts

its much more marine fighter now, as both the chaos opponents have expensive models and the shooty marines have lots of HW guys the plsama will reap rewards and the eldar player fears someone who can kill his mobility 1st turn and then out maneuver him. the final list might differ from what is in theevluation but I had to move some stuff around to make it fit :P.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 04 Feb 2005, 01:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to joeboy77

Hey Zim !

Welcome to the pursiot to the Greater GOOD !!

Your first concern will be the decimation of the units that can reach you first and get you into cc. You don't want that.

I suggest get rid of your gun drones and put them down to just one maxed out squad.

Try getting a 2 units of 3 broadsides and one HH with the Ion Cannon (mmmm... instant kill) instead.

Your best bet is to *use the FOF technique in the threads here and get the other squads to form 2 units of 24 . Use each unit to fire at specific targets until decimated and heavy support is just that. Use their long range to rip them to shreds. I like having 2 broadsides with Targt lock and SMS (so u can fire either the sms OR the tl railguns) and one with a TL PR and multi-tracker. That way my TL Railgun squad of death can shoot at separate targets !! IMHO the submunitions shot from the HH railgun is weak vs the 3+ saves of CSM and SMurfs. (pls feel free to correct me on this) that's why I like three shots of the IC that negates your enemy's armour saves. >

I like your choice in elites. Now you have more points to play with, hows about maxing out your stealth squads?

Maybe try getting the Shas'O to bunch in with them for some jet pack shooting !! Just make sure that you are more than 12' away from the targets at the end of your turn.

I hope this helps. The Tactica threads are always a great read. Cheers !!

So get off yer butt and go for your dreams !!

Please Visit http://www.forevermorejewellery.com

Do you know that WoW spelled backwards is WoW ??

Read it upside down, it spells MoM...

Freakky
Old 04 Feb 2005, 01:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboy77
IMHO the submunitions shot from the HH railgun is weak vs the 3+ saves of CSM and SMurfs. (pls feel free to correct me on this)
I like your choice in elites. Now you have more points to play with, hows about maxing out your stealth squads?
ok, so the sub shot is weak vs. marines and BC arent? eh? the sub shot is the same as an Ion vs. 10 man squads, the pie plate overs enough that you get the same average 2 dead marines as the Ion, but for those berserkers I put In on the last HH in my revision (dont forget that Iw often pack a 'Lisk, and he dont like BS, neither do Oblits for that matter, and static nits vs. berserkers arent very smart :P.

and for some reading I highly recommend the FoF threads (proud ;D) and reading up on fireknife crisis and their uses, you'll need lots ;D.
go here
Old 04 Feb 2005, 01:52   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hey guys, I'm sorta new to Tau too (although I've been on the forums for a bit), and I've actually been thinking of using a similar list that zim came up with, except I will be making the 'o a fireknife. The only difference is that my main opponent will be orks (with lots of lootas.....deathskulls?). In this case, I think the strat works out better?
Old 04 Feb 2005, 02:11   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

ok here is my changed list.
i will use FOF with my 2 fish and thanks for all the feedback
Zim

HQ
XV8: Fire knife Shas'O - 260pts

XV8: Fire knife, Shes'el - 235pts

Elites

XV8: Fire knife - 195pts

Troops

Fire Warriors: 12 warriors, shas’ui, bonded, devilfish - 220

Heavy supports

Hammerhead Gunship: rail gun, burst cannon, multi-tracker, decoy launcher - 165

Hammerhead Gunship: rail gun, burst cannon, multi-tracker, decoy launcher- 165

Hammerhead Gunship: Ion cannon, burst cannon, multi-tracker, decoy launcher – 145
Old 04 Feb 2005, 02:12   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Sounds like a lot of dead termies ;D
Old 04 Feb 2005, 03:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'd still drop the HQs to Shas'els and save more points there. You're only talking +1LD, +1W and +1WS for the 25 points (50 between the two) and it's the BS that's gonna pull you through against Marines. An Ethereal is cool but obviously takes up one of those HQ slots and is non-combattive. With that many Tau and no Kroot it's likely to be the best points spent in your army and for the re-rolls (to pass or fail) it can always help out in a pinch.

The rest looks good at first glance, but I'm on about 5 hours of sleep in the last two days and on my 16th 12+ hour day in a row, so I didn't delve too deeply...lots of shootin' is always good though...
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 04 Feb 2005, 07:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim11911
ok here is my changed list.
i will use FOF with my 2 fish and thanks for all the feedback
Zim

HQ
XV8: Fire knife Shas'O - 260pts

XV8: Fire knife, Shes'el - 235pts

Elites

Troops

Heavy supports

Hammerhead Gunship: rail gun, burst cannon, multi-tracker, decoy launcher - 165

Hammerhead Gunship: rail gun, burst cannon, multi-tracker, decoy launcher- 165

Hammerhead Gunship: Ion cannon, burst cannon, multi-tracker, decoy launcher – 145
sounds fine, 2 HQ isnt the best though, and how in the smeg does a Shas'El cost 200+ points, if you say bodyguards I'll kill you ;D

remove the offending expensiveness for some FoF or some kroot squads.

and the origonal list would do well vs orks yes, but horribly vs marines.
go here
Old 04 Feb 2005, 09:24   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Iceplague

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim11911
Hi i am new here ;* D and Well I have begun to start a tau army I fight mainly chaos (Khorne/Iron Warriors), Shooty space marines, and eldar. any tactical information for the tau would be much appreciated.

Tactics

My battle plan is to have the XV15 Stealth Suits hit front line troops or the fast attack compotes of the enemy army. The Drones are to kill troops/heavy weapons/tanks (rhino whale exits blocked). The XV8 Shas'O is to kill heavy tanks or to support other units with heavy fire. The remaining parts of the army will be divided evenly and set up on opposing sides of my table edge to create cross fire and make my opposite divide there force of give my other guys a opportunity to dig trenches and lay down the hurt or move to a more tactical friendly spot and kill all they can.

The list 1991pts
HQ

ELITE

TROOPS

FAST ATTACK

HEAVY SUPPORT

Any suggestion what to do with the last 9 points and any suggestions for the whole army
Thanks Zim
WOW WOW! Man i rarely see a list with lot of Firewarriors and Gundrones, and this also reminds somewhat the list that i play with, exept that i don't have any devilfishes. But why are u all just telling him to pump in crisissuits and hammerheads and take away firewarriors and gundrones? I've played with Tau quite a while now and usually win cause i have so damn many Firewarriors (58 of em to be exact). Can tell u that when u have lotsa firewarriors then u have a really big basic firepower that kills almost anything! Trust me on this one. The first list is totally okay, but if u can squase in some crisis with missilepods then it's a good one. The missiles are for antitank purpose. Trust me on that one. sure it's not a big chanse to kill a tank with em, but they do damage to them. Gundrones, don't use em myself, but 1 unit of em is quite enough. ;D

Aight. It's okay to have 1 Stealth team, 2 is good too, but skip it, it takes too much points, spend those points on 2 man crisis teams. They cost bout 120-140 points squad. In ur list u have 2 hammerheads, that is not so bad, i myself have only 1 and it is really rare that it get's destroyed. But 2 are good too. But a small tip would be to mount the other one with an Ioncannon and 2 Burstcannons, saves points and also gives u an antitroop vehicle.
Ur HQ choises were totally okay before, now having 2 commanders is just booring. Leave the orignal HQ choises u had and take the extra points to get more firewarriors.

To give u some inspiration i'll post my standard tournament army here.

HQ:
XV8 Shas'O: plasma rifle, missilepod, shield generator, HW multi-tracker : 135p

Elite:
Crisis team 1
2 XV8 Crisis suits, missilepod x2, plasmarifle, fusionblaster, multi-tracker x2 : 126p

Crisis team 2
2 XV8 Crisis suits, Plasmarifle x2, burstcannon, Fusionblaster, multi-tracker, targetlock : 124p

Stealth team
5 XV15 stealth suits, bonded. 160p

Troops:
Firewarrior team 1
12 Firewarriors, bonded, 6 carbines, photongrenades, shas'ui teamleader : 152p

Firewarrior team 2
12 Firewarriors, bonded, 4 carbines, photongrenades, shas'ui teamleader : 152p

Firewarrior team 3
12 Firewarriors, Bonded, 2 carbines, Shas'ui teamleader, HW-Targetlock, markerlight : 157p

Firewarrior team 4
12 Firewarriors, Bonded, Shas'ui teamleader, HW-Targetlock, markerlight : 157p

Firewarrior team 5
10 Firewarriors, Shas'ui teamleader : 110p

Heavy support:
Broadside team
2 XV88 broadsides, smartmissilesystem x2, drone controller + 2 shield-drones, target lock, teamleader + HW Blacksunfilter, bonded. 195p

Hammerheadgunship
Railgun, Smartmissilesystem, Blacksunfilter, disruptionfield, multi-tracker, targetlock. seekermissiles x 4 : 225p

Total: 1693p
models: 70
vehicles: 1

And i can tell u that this list kicks as due to it's immense force of Firewarriors. ;D
I mean, just cause some say that u don't have a chanse against marines/necrons/other 3+ armies. Then prove them wrong, let's see what they do when they have to grind their way through 58 Strength 5 shots for 6 rounds, and when he gets too close, moveforvard and rapid fire the ba**ard into oblivion. It has surely worked for me the past 2 years on tournaments.

But i'd play with ur first list, it's more fun to play against it too and people won't be yelling cheese in ur general direction. Yes, lad, ur new list is so cheesy even the king of cheese would get an heartattack when he sees the "new" list.