Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What Should I add to my mech army next?
View Poll Results: What Should I add to my mech army next?
3 xv8's 10 47.62%
6 stealths+commander 4 19.05%
fw box+fish 4 19.05%
kroot+3 stealths 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 Feb 2007, 00:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to captain_octavain
Default What Should I add to my mech army next?

OK I have 70$ and my army so far consists of:
1 shas'o
1 etheral
3 fireknife xv8's
2x 10 man firewarrior sqauds in warfishes
12 fw in warfish
12 kroot
6 stealth suits
4 piranha's (2 burst 2 fusion)
2 railheads
8 gun drones

what should I buy next
for preserving my rights
to live and die for this life
and paying the ultimate price for me to be...FREE!
captain_octavain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2007, 02:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: What Should I add to my mech army next?

Honestly, I suggest sniper drones or broadsides. Giving you some versatility in your heavy slots should allow you to play around with different lists a bit more.

Nice balance in your current force, though.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2007, 07:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

personaly i think out of those options XV8's i would suggest blinding spear configuration as that will give you some anti-light infantry but still have the ability to seriously harm power armoured oponents and through sheer number of plasma shots can probly take out av 10, 11 & 12 as well. very flexible.

but i would suggest thinking about some vespid, the bug-men are seriously underated and their spead and ap3 guns have saved me several times (great for when my usauly eldar oponent disambarks his fire dragons from a waveserpent with the intension of frying my railheads)
Tashvar Myen Jkaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2007, 20:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A team of 2 deathrains all the way! Plus you can now use the extra XV-8 as a second commander if you feel like leaving the Aun at home.

Or alternately you could send my the 70$ and I could take my girlfriend out to a nice dinner
Old 21 Feb 2007, 21:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Definitely some broadsides if you can. This'll lighten the AV load on your railheads and give them a chance to really shine by laying pieplates on bunches of people. or save points by switching one for an Ionhead.

And maybe some more drones. Drones would be good.

I often field two sets of 5~8 drones personally and they never let me down (not that they ever really do all that spectacularly, but such a nice solid unit...)

Stealths are nice but 6 has proven enough for me... I usually field two monat XV8's (usually deathrains) and a pair of commanders (Shas'El Fireknife with Array, and Shas'El CIB/Plasma with array.) usually have a 5-stealth team as my third elites slot. Two teams of 6 would be pretty nasty, but you've got plenty of pulse-fire already. (as do I with drones)

Yeah, definitely broadsides and a handful more drones. Maybe a tetra?
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2007, 21:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to captain_octavain

Ok i have ordered the 3 XV8's and they should be here monday!
so no more voteing
for preserving my rights
to live and die for this life
and paying the ultimate price for me to be...FREE!
captain_octavain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2007, 22:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

make them helos (spelling?) like nova said they only need to take out realy heavy stuff and can drop more pie plates of doom.
Old 21 Feb 2007, 22:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, I`d suggest the Crisis suits in Deathrain config - maybe even with TA (I like my Crisis reliable and accurate *g*).

Believeme, your Fireknives will spend a lot of time on the shelf as soon as you have found the joys that only TL-weaponry can bring... ;D
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2007, 07:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

blinding spear configuration as these will help you against GEq's or MEq's and can help out your fireknife team as both units have plasma weapons and the burst cannons CAN cut through power armour.

deathrains wouldn't be good against marines, necrons, guard, eldar, dark eldar and not realy against tyranids. the only things they are good for is orks. (and not the goffs)

unfortunatly i cant fault helios seeing as i use them but i realy think you should give blinding spear some thought*

whats the single army you play against most? maybe then we will be able to decide and stop arguing
Tashvar Myen Jkaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2007, 08:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
deathrains wouldn't be good against marines, necrons, guard, eldar, dark eldar and not realy against tyranids. the only things they are good for is orks. (and not the goffs)
I disagree. Deathrains, with their superior range, are effective against nearly everything Marines can field (save from Land Raiders and Terminators). Thei high RoF and STR, coupled with their pinpoint accuracy, means that they can inflict quite a lot of wounds on a Marine Squad, almost certainly causing a few casualties. They can blow up Rhinos, Cybots and even Predators (with some luck, granted) like there`s no tomorrow.

Against Necrons, Having something to match the range of their Destroyers is worthwile (and you still wound on 2+, too!), while Immortals are easy pickings at this ranges (Using plasma can be already costly against a 24" weapons).

Against Eldar, Deathrains rock - all of their vehicles have AV 12, and since Railguns aren`t as effective as they should be against them (only glancing hits, nifty wargear reducing their STR to 8), it is generally better to hit them often than just once with one big gun.
And of course, Dethrains can still put the hurt to Aspect Warriors. I don`t know where you get the idea that MPs aren`t good against Eldar; I started fielding Deathrains because I was starting to face Eldar!

Deathrains are one of the best allround Crisis configs out there, with reliable firepower at an awesome STR and RoF!
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote