Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

tau can win in close combat
Closed Thread
Old 01 Feb 2005, 03:11   #1 (permalink)
firewarrior

Default tau can win in close combat

if you think tau cant win in close combat you need to learn a few thing , in a tau army its good to get about 1 squad of stealth suits because of there first strick ability and 4 toughnes and kroot with a krootox, a couple of hound and a shaper.

Old 01 Feb 2005, 03:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: tau can win in close combat

Well, My fire warriors did good against some Necron swarm thing ( the one that moves like a jet bike), BUt I am glad it was not an Assault Marine.
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 01 Feb 2005, 05:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

i have also found that it is possible to win CC, but only against small numbers of foes. stealths often do quite well in CC 2 attacks each. i have always favoured just plain, cheap kroot squads without hounds or krootoxen.

PS the cron swarms were scarab swarms and stealthsuits have 3 toughness (which i hate)
AUTHORITARIAN OPPRESSION, FAMILY ABUSE, DEPRESSION CAUSED BY CONFORMALITY AND ECONOMIC DEVISTATION WILL REIGHN. HUNGRY CHILDREN WILL NOT SPARE THE GROCER. REMORSE IN ALL FORMS WILL BE REMOVED FROM HUMAN THOUGHTS AND ACTIONS FREEDOM WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE THROUGH REVOLUTION OR DEATH. THIS SYSTEM OF A DOWN IS UNAVOIDABLE AS LIFE ON THIS PLANET BECOMES UNNECASSARY. WE HAVE THE POWER TO REVERSE THE TIDES OF TIME BY MAKING OUR AWARENESS OF ABUSE KNOWN TO THE POWERS OF INDUSTRY AND THEIR UNCOUTH POLITICAL ARMS. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY. OPEN YOUR EYES. OPEN YOUR MOUTHS. CLOSE YOUR HANDS AND MAKE A FIST!
Old 01 Feb 2005, 06:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

i prefer stealth and lots of kroot (no krootox, but maybe some hounds) for assualts etc, however, my firewarriors won combat against 2 squads of guardians lol.. it was embarrising for both me and my opponent, because i got out-shot and he got beaten in assualt lots of times :s
Old 01 Feb 2005, 07:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

it is possible for Tau to win CC, but rare, 3:1 odds should have you come ot on top w/ Fw against most opponents.

the best way IMO to do combat (and the math supports me) in Tau is w/ a 20 man Squad of Kroot, no upgrades, shaper is too expensive for what it does, krootox takes away the infiltrate that allows kroot to get cover and thus a save fist turn.

the upgrade that is useful however is kroot hounds, 4 of them make a 20 squad w/ a box of 16 kroot without having to buy another box, and they take up a FAttack slot for tournament points.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 01 Feb 2005, 12:21   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

I assume you mean a cover save from shooting first turn. No one gets a cover save in close combat anymore.
Old 01 Feb 2005, 15:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Its not only Stealths and Kroot that are good for assult, but I had a Drone Squadron of 6 models strong and they held off Necron Wraiths (who came into assualt range in the second turn...darn turbo boost) for a amazing 3 turns. They were even able to take one down while rolling to hit on 6's!!! On the end of the 3rd turn, they were dispatched by a charging Necon Destoyer Lord who went in to help his pathetic wraiths! ;D
Old 01 Feb 2005, 15:18   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

The close combat tables really don't penalize Fire Warriors all that much for their weak constitutions.* * Against marines, Fire Warriors aren't really any worse than guard.* Actually, we are normally slightly better.* Both units hit marines on a 4 and get hit on a 3.* Both wound on a 5 and get wounded on a 3.* Marines always have initiative.* Fire Warriors have slightly better armor than normal guard.* I guess the difference is that guard are cheaper and their sergeants can take wargear more suited for close combat.

Are you using old rules for Wraiths? No one ever needs more than a 5+ to hit normally.
Old 01 Feb 2005, 15:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

true tau can win in cc, usually only if they outnumber though, and not agsint power armoured oppoenets at that....but to me it seems a bit fruitless to design squads that can hold their own in cc rather than just be whipped. How i look at it is every tau unjit has been made for shooting, some for moving fast, others static, sure they can be equipped to make them slightly better in cc (shas'vre's, photon grenades) but really when tau have such a massive weakness why try and patch it up when thats an impossible task to do totally when you can jsut capitalise on your strengths? well thats just me :P

Having said that i only say tau...kroot on the other hand are a whole different story ;D
Old 01 Feb 2005, 19:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

the upgrades are there IMO for farsight, who can almost do CC.

but yes I mand to obtain cover to gain a save from the cover being a coversave :P.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread