Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Curse you rhino!
Old 18 Feb 2007, 17:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Curse you rhino!

So, funny thing happened last night, and I figured I'd be a nice guy and share the wealth.

I got a call yesterday from my local gaming store to let me know there was a kid there who wanted to play 40k. I was more than happy to head over for a game, so departed ASAP.

When I got there, I found out that it was a 13-year old kid who wasn't too familiar with the game. I didn't have a problem with this - I mean, we do all start somewhere, right? Besides, I like to teach games to others.

So, after some initial setup work (like making him an army ), we got down to things.
First turn went to me, so I promptly decided my hammerhead with railgun would take down his lone rhino, with squad in tow. I take the shot, and it hits. I briefly explain to him that I'm guaranteed to glance, and the rhino isn't likely to stick around. Then I roll a 1 for penetration. :shifty: great. Damage yeilds a 5, and I immobilize the rhino ... cause you know, that matters.

When his turn comes up, I let him know that his rhino does actually get a chance to regain it's movement. He looks up the rules and rolls his eyes as he notes that he needs a 6 to do it. Needless to say, when he did roll a 6, we both had a good chuckle.

My turn comes around again, and I continue with my plan. Railgun shoots and hits! I roll a 1 for penetration ... *sigh* Bonus! I roll another 5 and immobilize it again. However, he would fail to regain his movement on his next turn.

So, turn 3 and a lone rhino is still on the table, right where it started ... I decide on a different approach and have my hammerhead with ion cannon and burst cannons take shots at its side. All the ions hit, and 4 burst cannons hit - pretty good. I roll for penetration, seeing all the burst cannons do jack, but triple 4s nets me 3 penetrates from the ion cannon.
Damage time ... dice roll ... I get triple 3s. Immobilized + crew stunned. However, being armed with only a storm bolter, the rhino suffers enough immobilized results to transfer to destroyed.

So, in the end, it took 2 tanks 3 turns to destroy a single rhino by immobilizing it to death. Not a banner-waving day for the Tau ...

Sorry I'm so long-winded Hope you enjoyed it anyway.

Arctic Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2007, 17:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Curse you rhino!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Lancer
So, funny thing happened last night, and I figured I'd be a nice guy and share the wealth.

I got a call yesterday from my local gaming store to let me know there was a kid there who wanted to play 40k. I was more than happy to head over for a game, so departed ASAP.

When I got there, I found out that it was a 13-year old kid who wasn't too familiar with the game. I didn't have a problem with this - I mean, we do all start somewhere, right? Besides, I like to teach games to others.

So, after some initial setup work (like making him an army ), we got down to things.
First turn went to me, so I promptly decided my hammerhead with railgun would take down his lone rhino, with squad in tow. I take the shot, and it hits. I briefly explain to him that I'm guaranteed to glance, and the rhino isn't likely to stick around. Then I roll a 1 for penetration. :shifty: great. Damage yeilds a 5, and I immobilize the rhino ... cause you know, that matters.

When his turn comes up, I let him know that his rhino does actually get a chance to regain it's movement. He looks up the rules and rolls his eyes as he notes that he needs a 6 to do it. Needless to say, when he did roll a 6, we both had a good chuckle.

My turn comes around again, and I continue with my plan. Railgun shoots and hits! I roll a 1 for penetration ... *sigh* Bonus! I roll another 5 and immobilize it again. However, he would fail to regain his movement on his next turn.

So, turn 3 and a lone rhino is still on the table, right where it started ... I decide on a different approach and have my hammerhead with ion cannon and burst cannons take shots at its side. All the ions hit, and 4 burst cannons hit - pretty good. I roll for penetration, seeing all the burst cannons do jack, but triple 4s nets me 3 penetrates from the ion cannon.
Damage time ... dice roll ... I get triple 3s. Immobilized + crew stunned. However, being armed with only a storm bolter, the rhino suffers enough immobilized results to transfer to destroyed.

So, in the end, it took 2 tanks 3 turns to destroy a single rhino by immobilizing it to death. Not a banner-waving day for the Tau ...

Sorry I'm so long-winded Hope you enjoyed it anyway.
You mean you didnt' let the kid win? Kid is probably traumatized and won't play anymore. I always play with half effort against new people to let them. If I win I make it a close battle, if I lose I make it a close battle but I have found with new people if you play too competitively you can turn them off the game pretty easy. Anyways one more thing. You actually destroyed the rhino on Turn 1. Your railgun is AP 1 so if you equal the AV of the rhino you penetrate it and a roll of 5 would destroy it.
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2007, 18:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Mitch: the noob

yeah, hes right, there arent any glances with a railgun... unless you're shooting a skimmer
:-P

we have a kid at our hobby store, who's probably twelve, and we are all planning to kill him... he just randomly take minis off the table "oohhh pretty!" and has about 70 points for every army... but not a single complete army...
im glad you have kids who are willing to learn... because the opposite is quite annoying...
Old 18 Feb 2007, 19:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Guard Or Go Home

You mean you didnt' let the kid win? Kid is probably traumatized and won't play anymore.
Where did he say that he won?
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2007, 21:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadhfang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Guard Or Go Home

You mean you didnt' let the kid win? Kid is probably traumatized and won't play anymore.
Where did he say that he won?
The way the post is written one would draw inference
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2007, 22:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm looking at it in the "The kid got a good laugh, had a decent time... Who cares who won" kind of way. Now I could understand if you had gone out of your way to be a jerk and tear his army apart in 2 turns...
Old 18 Feb 2007, 23:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Sounds like my games. I need a new Hammerhead because I think mine is cursed.

Had a game where it was firing at a Dreadnought....just one. Think I shot at it 4 times. Hit all but once...and rolled ones to penetrate every...single....time. >

I've had a hard time taking out a Chimera too. I penetrated, couldn't ever destroy it, he had Techpriest guys repairing the fraggin thing.
TheMav80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2007, 23:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
You actually destroyed the rhino on Turn 1. Your railgun is AP 1 so if you equal the AV of the rhino you penetrate it and a roll of 5 would destroy it.
Not to be a stupid, but where is it that this is written? We've only got the dinky book that came with Battle for Maccarage, but I'm confident it has all the same rules in it. I'm new to the game and would love to see this in writing, as my space marine and chaos marine friends love their tanks.

Thanks in advance.
krupintupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2007, 23:49   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

What, about AP 1? It is on page 66 of the main rulebook, along with the rules for Ordnance Penetration. A 4 or 5 would have destroyed the Rhino, and a 6 would have blwon it apart. Railguns auto-penetrate Armor 11, unless there are other rules in play such as smoke launchers or mobile skimmers.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2007, 23:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

;D

I have to admit, forgetting about auto-penetration makes me laugh to myself quite a bit. I guess it's an effect of playing against mostly Tau and Eldar. Regardless, I feel rather silly, but don't mind given how awesome it made things turn out.

As for "You mean you didnt' let the kid win?", we just ended the game because we had started rather late, and both his dad and my girlfriend were waiting on us. Yes, I would have won, I'm sure, but by no means was it traumatizing :P

Regardless, live and learn, right?

Arctic Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote