Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Newbie Tau questions/army list problems
Old 06 Feb 2007, 22:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to GustavB
Default Newbie Tau questions/army list problems

'lo there!

I recently purchased a Tau Battleforce, which contains one (1) Tau Crisis XV8 Battlesuit, one (1) Devilfish APC, three (3) Tau XV25 Stealth Suits, one (1) Markerlight Drone, six (6) Gun Drones, twelve (12) Tau Fire Warriors, and twelve (12) Kroot Carnivores.

I've got a couple of questions here, but first I'd like to fill you in on my situation. Reason I registered was to get as much information and help as possible, now that me and 2 of my classmates have begun collecting and painting our Warhammer 40k armies. We've only got enough for 400 pts armies. Now, I'm a bit unsure wether or not this goes in the Tau forum or the Army List subforum, but since I'm not exactly listing my army, rather asking questions about the Tau in general, I thought I'd go in here.

The pack includes 3 XV25 stealth suits, which comes with a Markerlight drone. While trying to figure out what all this is, and how I can use it by reading the codex, I can't exactly figure out what that drone-like thing lying on the ground is.

Click here for a link

I was wondering what it's refered to as (in the codex?)

Here's the bit that probably belongs to the army list forum. I'm not sure how to set up my army. I guess it all depends on who you're playing, so I guess I should tell you who are going to be facing the Greater Good. Friend A is a Vostroyan Firstborn Imperial Guard player. He's got an armored fist, armored platoon, something like that (Troops + Chimera) some heavy weapons and lots of tiny little humiez. The other plays the Raven Guard, and has got a command squad and lots of space marines, both tactical and devastators. Don't know if he'll be fielding any tanks or light vehicles.

The only models I have are those that came with the pack, as I'm a bit short of money at the moment, and I feel that it might impact my choices. But anyway, that's what I have to work with and I was wondering if I could get some advice.

I think I'd prefer a hybrid army, using the Kroot in a "static" role, and moving my Firewarriors around in the Devilfish. The commander would have a Target Array, Plasma Rifle and a Flamer for those masses of Vostroyan Firstborns. About the Gun drones, attaching them to my Commander sounds very expensive, maybe I could use them as a squad, not sure about that either.

Roughly I'd take:
Commander:
Shas'o
[size=7pt]with Target Array, Plasma Rifle, Flamer (105 points)
[/size]
Troops:
Fire Warrior Squad
[size=7pt]12xFire Warriors with Pulse Rifles, Shas'ui and Bonding Knife, transported by a Devilfish (225 points)[/size]

Kroot Carnivore Squad
[size=7pt]10xKroot Carnivores (70 points)[/size]

Or, replace the Kroot with 5xGun Drones, Gun Drone Squadron 60 points and then add a Markerlight to the FW Squad, bringing the total to exactly 400 points. I don't know exactly if this is all legal, or if it's going to work at all in actual combat. Perhaps the Stealth Suits are valuable to my army? I'm overwhelmed to say the least, and any help is greatly appreciated
GustavB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2007, 22:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Newbie Tau questions/army list problems

Welcome to the Greater Good, and Tau Online.

The Tau battleforce is a great starting point as it lets you jump right in to the game with a great 500 point starter force.

Firstly remember if you're playing combat patrol you can't have any models with more than 2 wounds, so that rules out your Shas'O.
Secondly the Shas'O already has BS 5, making a targeting array redundant and useless.

If you're playing 400 point games might I suggest something like this:

10 Firewarriors w/ pulse rifles
Devilfish w/ multi tracker, decoy launchers

10 Kroot w/ Kroot rifles

3 Stealth suits w/ burst cannons

Battle suit w/ twin-linked missile pod and flamer

Total: 402

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2007, 22:31   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
Welcome to the Greater Good, and Tau Online.

The Tau battleforce is a great starting point as it lets you jump right in to the game with a great 500 point starter force.
Thanks, that's great to hear

Quote:
Firstly remember if you're playing combat patrol you can't have any models with more than 2 wounds, so that rules out your Shas'O.
Secondly the Shas'O already has BS 5, making a targeting array redundant and useless.
Ah, I see, I got my Codex wrong. Don't I need a commander though? I'm assuming this 47-point Suit you're refering to is an XV8 "Crisis" Battlesuit.

Quote:
If you're playing 400 point games might I suggest something like this:

10 Firewarriors w/ pulse rifles
Devilfish w/ multi tracker, decoy launchers

10 Kroot w/ Kroot rifles

3 Stealth suits w/ burst cannons

Battle suit w/ twin-linked missile pod and flamer

Total: 402

Good luck!
That sounds great, and I'm guessing there won't be a problem if I step 2 points over my 400 point limit... But ehm, where's my commander? Or is he ruled out because of the "2 or more wounds" rule?

Thanks a lot!
Old 06 Feb 2007, 22:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Most people I play with won't care about 2 points.

Since you can't legally take him in combat patrol game, then you can't have him! He's just to important to lead a little patrol.

In any non combat patrol game he's mandatory. What I would recommend for a 500 point army using the Battle force box is the following:

Shas'el w/ plasma rifle, missile pod, targeting array, hard-wired multi tracker

10 Fire warriors w/ devilfish, decoy launchers, multi tracker

10 Kroot w/ kroot rifles

3 Stealth suits

4 Gun drones w/ twin-linked pulse carbines

It's 500 even. It's maneuverable as hell (only the kroot don't go more than 6" per turn and has lots of firepower)

Oh and in answer to your "What the hell is that thing with the stealth suits?" question.

It's just a marker, doesn't count as anything in particular. It can be useful to use as an objective counter in certain scenarios or just as a neat bit stuck on somewhere. Do whatever you'd like with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2007, 22:45   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

A very, very informative post, you've really helped me. Thank you yet again!