Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Alternate Configuration Broadsides
Closed Thread
Old 28 Jan 2005, 15:03   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Alternate Configuration Broadsides

One thing I would like to see is an option to take different weapons on the broadside. Besides the Railguns, I mean. Adding the Railguns turns them into back o' the line troops by default. I am curious whether or not they could work in a niche similar to SM dreadnoughts. Basically, that would give us something in between the current Broadside and the Crisis in terms of both mobility and firepower. Give them four burst cannons and use them against Tyranids, etc. Most of us accrue a pretty big supply of unused battlesuit weapons, anyway, so it isn't like they would need an additional sprue. Its not that I think they would be more useful than Crisis suits, but it would be nice to see more things to do with the Broadside. Any thoughts?
Old 28 Jan 2005, 15:10   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Collision Send a message via Yahoo to Collision
Default Re: Alternate Configuration Broadsides

Sounds like an alright idea, Personally I don't have an Broadsides and haven't any experience playing with them, But having the ability to give them four burst cannons seems a little excessive, But would be great against armies which rely on hoardes.

"The Impact, The Wreckage, The Mortal Wounds Of Life."
Old 28 Jan 2005, 15:15   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, it would actually have to be two pair of twin-linked burst cannons, so it wouldn't be quite as unfair. The Broadside already has the ability to mount a twin-linked weapon on a single hardpoint, it's just that the only ones it is offered to mount this way are the plasma rifle and the compulsory Railguns. All they would need to say is that the TL Plasma can be replaced by a TL version of the other two weapons and make the Railgun optional.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 15:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

just remember the most any unit (not vehicles) can fire in terms of weapons is two per round....while 3 or 4 independant weapon systems may sound nice you would only be able to fire two...therefore to get the most punch from a battlesuit (b/side) it would still only ever have two twin linked weapons.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 16:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you could replace the RG with say, TL BC's, it wouldn't be a HS choice now would it?

It'd just be a heavy weapon Crisis suit.

R. I. P. DIMEBAG DARRELL - YOUR LEGEND LIVES ON

"The blink of an eye, you know it's me, you keep the dagger close at hand" - Opeth, "Demon of the Fall"
Old 28 Jan 2005, 16:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The do rails, smart missiles and plasma as is, but even t/l carbines would makes sense from a standpoint of halting enemy advance towards thier deep position. These are heavy weapons units, so I can't see them mounting up burst cannons, but Ion cannons...sure. Of course those things are enormous, and game-balance wise, probably better relegated to Hammerhead mounts.

I've always thought it makes good, good sense to give them some form of "power fist". Some big honkin' hammerfist for the eventuality when they do get assaulted, they can do more than just take it on the chin and hope for the best. Id want such a deep position unit to be capable, perhaps more-so, of holding it's own in H2H so that it didnt' have to be supported in that regard by other troopers/units.

I like the idea of just being able to t//l mount all the options it can have no in any configurations: rail + sms; rail + t/l plasma; t/l plasma + sms; t/l sms + plasma; t/l sms or plasma + single rail
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 29 Jan 2005, 02:56   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'd rather not have any more HtH abilities put on it that will jack up the price. I already feel that the S and T bonuses are a waste, as a broadside is supposed to just stand back and shoot. It's also supposed to be protected by the light units, being heavy support and all. What I would like to see is submunition rounds for the broadsides. The only problem is that this renders HHs almost obsolete.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 04:49   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I would still like to see them as line-capable. Regardless of whether they are mounting "heavy" weapons or not, they are still less mobile and more heavily armed than anything else in the army. Something of a coincidence that the FW stuff came out today, though. It looks like someone else thought 2+ armor on a Crisis was a good idea.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 06:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by AunLa
I've always thought it makes good, good sense to give them some form of "power fist". Some big honkin' hammerfist for the eventuality when they do get assaulted, they can do more than just take it on the chin and hope for the best. Id want such a deep position unit to be capable, perhaps more-so, of holding it's own in H2H so that it didnt' have to be supported in that regard by other troopers/units.
I'd prefer a power weapon or lightning claw kind of weapon. The problem with a PF is that you'll strike last. In small units that's the kiss of death: You might kill 1 or 2 normal marines after which their PF sgt will kill the broadside. It's not really an effective match-up. Up against something orks or Khorne beserkers it's an even worse option: You probably would never get to use the PF. OTOH, if you had some lightning claws you could do some serious damage before the enemy squished you with the fist.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 30 Jan 2005, 01:34   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I thought the whole point of Tau was staying away from HtH combat and using big guns to pound the enemy. Why are we suddenly discussing using the big guns to clobber the enemy in CC instead?
Closed Thread