Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shield Drone Or Shield Generator?
Old 05 Feb 2007, 06:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Shield Drone Or Shield Generator?

Hello everybody

I am currently stuck, i have a battlesuit commander (the 75 point one) with a plasma rifle, cyclic ion blaster, multi tracker but i am wondering whether to have a SHIELD DRONE or a SHIELD GENERATOR.

I am perfectly aware of each ones benefits and i dont mind paying an additional 5 points

Please send your thoughts

Thankyou

From MOOMOO
MOOMOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2007, 06:34   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Shield Drone Or Shield Generator?

Shield Generator unless you are fielding a Bodyguard with him.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2007, 07:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you must choose between the two the shield drone is better. For one it is cheaper and if it fails its save, the commander doesn't die.

I wouldn't give him either though. Just use his independant character status to keep him alive. Good way to do that is surround him with a unit of drones from your fast attack slot. Better yet, you can pop the drones out of a Devilfish and use them. The enemy has to shoot the drones instead of the Commander, and if the drones die your enemy doesn't get any points.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2007, 08:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Shield Generator unless you are fielding a Bodyguard with him.
This is my opinion too. Let me explain the reasoning behind it...

Your commander is an independent character. That means that, unless he is the closest model to an enemy unit, he may not be targetted during the shooting phase. (This is sometimes called 'IC protection'.)

If you give him a shield drone, he and the drone form a unit, and he loses the IC protection. This makes the shield generator a better choice, because it does not attract this penalty. However, if he has a bodyguard, then he and the bodyguard form a unit, and he doesn't have IC protection in the first place. In this case, a shield drone is fine - it has an invulnerable save, and provides the unit with an extra ablative wound against small-arms fire.
Abanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2007, 11:15   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hi,
Shield generator.
Never cancel the IC status of your Commander if is not necessary.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2007, 11:32   #6 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

I concur with Khanaris and padawan. IC is just to good. If he has a shield drone a squad of devestators or havocs will likely take him down for the cost of a target priority test.

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2007, 20:34   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yeah I agree with most. If he has a bodyguard take a shield drone.. especially as it doesn't kill the commander on failure... and if you deep strike... you can place the drone first if you end up on top of an enemy or close enough.... it helped me out massively.. i lost the drone but was able to still place my commander and his bodyguard without them dying from landing on an enemy!
sprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2007, 23:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to NileChild

Well unless you make the Multi tracker hard wired, you can only take sheild drones at this point with the HW drone controller. I would take the shield generator at this point, because the commander can get all the stuff but ASS, positional relay, command/control node, targetting array(pointless anyway) and vectored retro thrusters. Though the comman/control node can be useful if you're playing static. Go with whatever you want but you need to make sure that you're only using three hardpoints since a crisis with PR CIB, MT nad Drone controller is illegal.

NileChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2007, 06:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ACE666

the droe controller is a hard point AND a hard wired option, so it doesn't matter
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
ACE666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2007, 09:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Vectored Retro Thrusters.

I know that sounds stupid, but if neither option works for you (the Shield Generator is better) consider using combat in order to avoid instant - death weaponry. It won't against everyone, but when it does it works well.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote