Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Killing Termies
Closed Thread
Old 26 Jan 2005, 23:24   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Killing Termies

I've got a pretty big game coming up soon and i was wondering what the best way to kill Space Marine Terminators are. Last time i got crushed when they deep struck and screwed me. Im assuming a fireknife squad but any other suggestions?
Old 27 Jan 2005, 00:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Helderin Send a message via MSN to Helderin
Default Re: Killing Termies

Mass fire and Plasma Rifles will take out those Termies. And if your Rail guns dont have anything to shoot at than shoot those at em too.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 00:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i played against a guy last weekend and he did the nasty trick u described: he sent 5 man squads of tacticals in, sacrificing them just to gwet the 2 teleport homing beacons (or whatever their called) right in my face. :'(

though i lost, i was able to eliminate one of his 5-man termie squad (too bad he had TWO) with a 12 man FW team and an 8-man Gun Drone squad! (im very proud of this, whatzit called? Phyyric Victory?)

hmm maybe im just bragging, but i guess the tactic is obvious: Volume of Fire, and Screening

volume of fire we understand (and 4 fell that way), but screening was not the old V3 way, but something i tried out, with success: i Hippity-Hoppitied the gun drones in very annoying places for the termies, who really didnt want to waste time assaulting them, and were intent on the 24 str 5 shots hamering away at them the whole time. anyways: how i did it, over 2 turns:

turn1him: he beams in, shoots
* * * * * * * * *O
++ * * * * * *O
++ * * * * * *O * * * * * T
++ * * * * * *O * * * * TT
++ * * * * * *O * * * * TT
++ * * * * * *O
* * * * * * * * *O

Turn 1me: hippity hoppity-Annoy(can i trademark this? *:P)
-FW move to rng 12' blaze away, Drones -for lack of a better term, get in the way
*+ * * * * * * * * * * * *O
++ * * * * * * * * * * O * *
++ * * * * * * * * * O * * *T
++ * * * * * * * * * O * *TT
++ * * * * * * * * * O * *TT
++ * * * * * * * * * * O

turn 2him: Termies growl in annoyance and eat 6 of my 7 drones.. drone fails its (ld4) morale
Turn2me: FW braces for charge (Tau def. of 'Brace'= put 2 guys up front for the greater good&#39 and oh yea, fire away.
++
++ *+ *+ * * T
++ * * * * * *TT
++ * * * * * *

turn3him: turmies charge front FW, kills both front FW, i FAIL my morale (rerolled Ethereal roll to do so), fall back 7", Termies dont Sweeping advance anyways (bout couldnt anyways.. no B2B)
turn3me, 4" away, i regroup (rerolled Ethereal roll again) back up to rng 10", and double tap again

*sigh* this is turning into a long winded rant, but anyways, 1 termie actually made it into the FW ranks, and guess what?? FW KILLED HIM!!! *

of course that was the success in that one corner of the table, the other Termie squad ate me alive (HQ Termie was in there), but this corner DID open my eyes a bit on how to kill termies.. *
Old 27 Jan 2005, 01:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

That seems like a tactic that would only work in times of desperation. If 2 Termie squads deep strike right into your lines, and your not playing mobile, chances are, that you have no chance.

R. I. P. DIMEBAG DARRELL - YOUR LEGEND LIVES ON

"The blink of an eye, you know it's me, you keep the dagger close at hand" - Opeth, "Demon of the Fall"
Old 27 Jan 2005, 02:32   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I got a chance to use that double-up-front tactic the other day. It actually works pretty well. If you can ensure that you are close to 12" away from the unit that will charge you, then you can dramatically reduce how much damage you will take in close combat while still getting to rapid fire before AND after the charge, assuming you were smart and didn't hug your table edge. The Ethereal suddenly starts to look like an option again.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 03:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

I'm hesitant to rely on a placement tactic that isnt hard and fast (FoF is about as solid as they get)

but the usual way is to just use a fireknife squad or one w/ TLPR. best way IMO.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 27 Jan 2005, 04:29   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I definitely wouldn't call it a replacement for the FoF, but it can be a good back-up if the screen gets vaporized. It only works when you are some distance from your own table edge.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 08:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

I'm hesitant to pin down any hard and fast post-Fury maneuvers other than pulling into close order firing lines (barring blast weapons) and waiting for support troops (shoudnt be faraway If you deployed properly.

But back on topic, Plasma Rifles are the general best way to kill Termi's.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 27 Jan 2005, 09:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban
turn3him: turmies charge front FW, kills both front FW, i FAIL my morale (rerolled Ethereal roll to do so), fall back 7", Termies dont Sweeping advance anyways (bout couldnt anyways.. no B2B)
turn3me, 4" away, i regroup (rerolled Ethereal roll again) back up to rng 10", and double tap again
That's the tactic I was talking about last week in another post. I'm glad to see it can work with FWs. I tried pulling it yesterday using my SMs vs. a carnifex (sacrifice one marine, fall back and hit the carni with two meltas) but SMs pass morale too easily so it didn't work. : In the end it didn't matter b/c the carni wiffed two turns in a row and ended up getting killed by a jump pack sgt. with a PF.

I would agree that it's a tactic of last resort but I think this has application especially for FoF since you often end up near the middle of the table rather than hugging the back edge. If your DF get destroyed it gives your FWs an option to survive a charge. One of the current hot SM units now is the deepstriking 5 man terminator squad with 2 assault cannons. Teleport homers make it even more effective if you can get the sgt in close. That's a lot of rending shots for a DF to deal with (statistically an assault cannon is now better than a LC at destroying vehicles although the skimmer rule helps the DF quite a bit). Then again, they're more likely to turn those weapons on your FWs.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 14:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Aun Dolf

If possible - ignore Terminators. You should be able to move away from them with almost everything. If the Deep Strike is very succesfull your opponent can at most reach one of your units in H2H. If he don't get you in the turn after he has Deep Strikes he will end up chasing one of your units. This is only good because his unit will almost always be more expensive than yours. Kill everything else and keep away from the Termies.
Closed Thread