Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1000 point Army Critique Please.
Closed Thread
Old 25 Jan 2005, 15:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default 1000 point Army Critique Please.

2nd post to the boards (been a lurker though) and seeking some advice.* I've played Tau a few times in smaller battles(500-750), but in a week or so I'll be facing Imperial Guard for the first time at 1000 points.* Joined an escalation league which is a lot of fun.

My only problem is that the first two offical games (500 and 750), I've lost.* Horribly (like Major Defeats, every Tau on the board wiped out battles).* Both games were against Marines and being that I was just starting out, I really didn't have access to the depth of minis or tactics that my opponents had (one of our requirements is that minis must be painted and both SM players have standing 3k armies while I'm buying and painting up to 3k points).* On top of that, I had no idea how to play the Tau and learned some hard lessons on the battlefield (like if a SM command squad gets within 12 inches of your Tau, you're dead.* Really really dead.).

I've been lurking here and reading various strategies and figuring out a ton of great stuff and in a few pick up games I've played (nonofficial scoring ones), I've scored a few victories (even against the Necron!).* I'm facing the Guard for the first time and I'd love to win an official one.* So I want some advice on my list.* First off, I'll post what I have for my draft list.* Keep in mind everything in the list is currently painted, which is why it's being fielded.* At the bottom, I have "reserves" which are also painted or will be finished by game date.* If you want to nitpick the list, awesome, but please don't tell me to go out and buy 3 HHs or 9 more crisis suits to field a great 1000 point army.* Pretend you're a commander fielding just what's available on the front lines.* At the end, I provide a bit of Intel on the Guard as I've seen them fight (defeated by Necron and drew against the SM).

My list:
HQ: Shas'el
-Fire Knife
-Flamer
91 points

Elites:
2 Crisis Suits
-Fire Knife
-Bonded
140points

Troops:
Devilfish Squad (12)
-Shas'ui
-Bonded
-MT/Decoy on DF
235 points

Tau Fire Team (12)
-Shas'ui
-Bonded
140 points

Kroot (20)
140 points

Heavy:
Hammerhead
-Railgun
-SMS
-Decoy/MT/Target Lock
180 points

Broadsides
-Rail/SMS/MT
75 points

Total: 1001 points (we're allowed 3 point leeway)

Troops in* Reserve:
5 Stealth Suits (1 leader)
6 Gun Drones (2 Shield Drones)
5 Pathfinders (2 w/ Railguns, 1 leader)
1 Ethereal
1 Broadsides
12 Kroot
1 Shaper

The Guard I'm playing against can field pretty much any of the tanks out there, but I've seen no Basilisks used yet (even in his pickup 1500 point game).* He loves his deep striking Ogryn and Leman Russ, so I know those will be on the field.* Other than that, it's just a whole lot of guard and guard hvy weapon teams.* Against the SM Recon mission, his Ogryn deep striked and eliminated a squad of Scouts while his tanks and flashlights concentrated fire on the Tac squad.* A SM command squad (as fat as can be with vets, medics and close combat leader) assaulted his flank and proceeded to decimate squad after squad in CC (kill, consolidate, rinse, repeat).* The Guard reorganized after sacrificing another squad to slow the Command Squad, but ran out of turns before he could bring his tank/remaining squad to bear on the SMs.* The Tac and Scouts were eliminated and the Ogryn reconned.* He scored just enough points to draw cause the SM Com Sqd was like 300 points reconning.

Any advice from the seasoned vets?* I know you'd rather me field another HH, but I don't have the funds or the time to buy and paint another one (that's the next project for the 1250 point game).* How am I looking and any strategies?
Old 25 Jan 2005, 17:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: 1000 point Army Critique Please.

Honestly, the list you've provided seems alright. The majority of the army is mobile, which will help if he deepstrikes. Keep the side and the other non-mobile FW's as a static firebase just in case. Infiltrate the Kroot into cover and you should be able to pick off a lot of guard with them. Maybe try some common effective tactics ( FoF) for your mobile fish, just make sure to keep most your units in cover, especially if he's fielding a lot of tanks. I had to type this real quick so sorry if I left anything out.

R. I. P. DIMEBAG DARRELL - YOUR LEGEND LIVES ON

"The blink of an eye, you know it's me, you keep the dagger close at hand" - Opeth, "Demon of the Fall"
Old 25 Jan 2005, 18:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Hmmm... its a pretty solid list, very good if its your first try .

myself I'd drop the static FW and th flamer on the 'El and get a 5 man stealth team, theyre more maneuverable and can get out of the way of ogryns :P, and the fact tat they can dodge flashlights w/ ease and BC open up rear armour quite well ;D and its a lot easier to gt them there than a static FW squad :P
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 25 Jan 2005, 19:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for the compliments.* I haven't been ignoring what you guys have been posting here, so my first 1000 point list follows a few of the strategems and guidelines outlined here.* * You should have seen my 750 point lists (played 4 or 5 games so far) before I started reading up on these boards.* You would have ripped me to pieces!* (Just as a hint: all static and crisis bodyguards! and kroot shapers!)

I thought about swapping out the FW for the Stealth units which would give my army near total mobility, but I've never played a fully mobile Tau before (like I said, my lists were weak...no FoF at all) and I fear I may screw it up.* A static firebase would give me more FW to absorb hits and possibly seize an early objective.*

What about carbines?* I've yet to use them since most armies I've played were SM or Necron (who have ridiculus leadership or never need check for pinning or God knows what other skill makes them not ever need to make a LD test).* Pinning might be useful against Guard since their LD is a bit lower...but I'd* be sacrificing rapid fire goodness.* I get the impression most people go full out Rifles everytime, no exceptions.* I thought about adding 6 carbines to the Static squad, so they can move and at least fire off 6 attacks at 18inches...which might pin the unit for a turn to allow me to close in and rapid fire.*
Old 25 Jan 2005, 19:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'd stay away from carbines as you might pin but the return flashlightfire would cost you (RF), also the pulse rifles realy hurt guard as almost every hit kills.

a static base will gve you the ability to absorb hits but it'll also make it easer to force you into jams, and dontbe afraind of mobility, its your freind ;D, and if you do balls it up, just try it again and ask for advice on the battlereport you were planning to do (werent you )

good to see some enthusiasm, and everyone learns (trust me, I'm going to varcity this year, ooh the pain ;D)
go here
Old 25 Jan 2005, 19:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

hey welcome to the forums and happy posting ;D

i can assure you lists dont get 'ripped apart' on this board **mean glance to dizzy (j/k)** and certainly not from me **runs off to delete all my flames at newbie lists** ;D

hehe, now something serious...FoF will work a treat against gaurd, unfortunatrly if you decide to sit it out and go totally static you will be outshot. Also kroot should play dividend with a maxed out squad and inflitrating to get right into the heart of some gaurdsmen! If i were you id drop the broadside but if thats not an option then definately tone down the cost on the HH to getting rid of SMS and target lock, with the HH, once tanks are gone get up close (well 18") and devastate gaurdsmen with 6 burst cannon shots and a submunitions blast too ;D also change the shas'el as dizzy suggested, other than that its a great 100pt list IMO thats very well rounded, well done also for reading previous topics before posting ;D
Old 25 Jan 2005, 19:28   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Assault weapons became much more important in the new edition when they removed the ability to use rapid-fire weapons on the turn you charge. *Because Tau never did that anyway, it doesn't matter as much for us. *I used to use two carbines in every FW team, but I dropped them since 4th edition came out. *They might be better if you could field a squad consisting of only carbines, because you could use fighting withdrawal tactics. The trouble iwith using it in FoF is that you are just as likely to break the squad below 50% as you are to pin it.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 19:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

lol, I dont rip, I slice ;D.

I thought about removing the BS, but I cant see where to get the extra 90pts to turn it into a HH :P.

and If I was a Gmod I'd give him karma for being the Ideal new poster and reading before he posts (as an example of course, not that I just like the guy )

and kharnaris is mostly correct, all carbines wold be Gold! (hint hint: give us no fish pathfinder teams)
go here
Old 25 Jan 2005, 19:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

As quite a few people know, I am a fan of the FoF.
Drop the broadside and get another fish.
As easy as that. ;D
Old 25 Jan 2005, 19:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

o contrare, so many peope dont read before posting.

and o contrare on te FoF (surprising ne? ;D) that would leave the listw/ only the HH for antitanks, bad juu :P
go here
Closed Thread