Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sunforge Battlesuits
Closed Thread
Old 23 Jan 2005, 20:27   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Sunforge Battlesuits

In my Mech Tau army (army list here http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=4064.0 ), I'm considering using Sunforge Battlesuits (deep striking, anti vehicle) to add to my anti vehicle and power armor capability. I want to configure the team like this.

Crisis Team - 195pts
1 Battlesuit
Twin Linked Fusion Blaster, Target Lock
1 Battlesuit
Twin Linked Fusion Blaster, Shield Generator
1 Battlesuit
Twin Linked Plasma Rifles, Shiels Generator

This costs the same as one of the Fireknike teams I had before and has the potential to thrash two Land Raiders or Russ' a turn. My question is this. With two suits having the SG, will it confeer the Invunerable save to all three models? If yes, do I have to remove one of the ones with the SG first? And if so what is the team's save after one model dies?

I've tried this before in a diffrent army and have found it to be effective against armies that rely on artillery. Another concern was what would happen if I played a static Tau army that had Broadsides and Hammerheads hiding in the back.

Thoughts?

Old 23 Jan 2005, 20:38   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to kagato
Default Re: Sunforge Battlesuits

i think its fine exept for one thing. If yur playing any race with a sniper type troop(ie eldar rangers,IG snipers) then watch for those. One time,(i dunno if my friend was being stupid but..) i was playing IG and i had 5 snipers. I took out my friends battles suits like they were nothing..because of the hit and wound stats. If yur cover because of the SDs and the IvS then throw caution to the wind and forget them. Still make and effort to eliminate them. But if yur not coverd relly cocentrate concidering in a mech army there will be a lot less models. ;D ;D
Old 23 Jan 2005, 21:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Woods
Crisis Team - 195pts
1 Battlesuit
Twin Linked Fusion Blaster, Target Lock
1 Battlesuit
Twin Linked Fusion Blaster, Shield Generator
1 Battlesuit
Twin Linked Plasma Rifles, Shield Generator
If the first on is upgraded to Shas'ui he can be given a hard-wired target lock, leaving the third HrdPt open for another Shield generator and only increasing squad cost by 12pts. Plus, they all then have equal saves, so you don't have to lose one abover any others, thus equalizing damage across the unit through judicious wound allocation if you don't save.

3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 23 Jan 2005, 21:43   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The question is where do I get the 12 points?
Old 23 Jan 2005, 21:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hey, that's not what they pay me for. I just come up with the cool ideas, not "where you get the points from."

lol

Sorry...at work now for about the 40th hour in a row (brief hours for sleep and driving back and forth).

Lose a couple of Kroot....
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 24 Jan 2005, 01:55   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thats ok...mistakes are nothing.. Those sun forgey things sound pretty coo. Try usin um and tell me how it works. Tanks.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 02:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

^ ever heard of spellcheck?

I wouldn't take a full squad of anti-vehicle/tank Crisis, use them for something else, that's why we have Railgun! Use it!

R. I. P. DIMEBAG DARRELL - YOUR LEGEND LIVES ON

"The blink of an eye, you know it's me, you keep the dagger close at hand" - Opeth, "Demon of the Fall"
Old 24 Jan 2005, 17:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Aun Dolf

If one of your suits die to light fire (>AP3) you can remove any of them but if they die to low AP fire (<=AP3) you have to remove one of the SG suits since they have tried their save. When there are one of both kinds left you have to remove the TL suit before the SG suit because majority save rules state that in ties of number the worst armour is in majority.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 19:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I agree with butterroll, deep striking is just gonna get them killed with or without shield gens. Long range railguns, either broadside or hammerhead, will take care of all your anti-armor needs. Shield gens only work for the model they are bought for.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 20:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I like the idea of deepstriking suits with fusion guns. I've played Raven Guard (pre-new codex which gutted them) and deepstriking in the midst of armor was high risk but very effective. If you land on target you should normally have the vehicle blocking a big portion of the LoS on the unit. It worked for my SMs & that particular unit were usually still around at the end of the game.

That said, there are a couple limitations on the Tau version:
#1 - You don't get the reroll for scatter which means you could easily drift off enough to take you out of fusion gun range. It's a high risk approach that works in spades when it works but is painful when you scatter off the board or into an enemy unit and lose the whole unit.
#2 - You're very unlikely to take out more than one vehicle per turn even with the multi-trackers. Unless your opponent is a dope or has a good reason to pack his vehicles together you're almost guaranteed to only be in range for 1 target. The exception of course would be vehicle squads but those are generally light stuff that you really don't need a fusion blaster to take out. I would be astonished if you ever had the opportunity to take out two land raiders.
#3 - Tau are very weak in close combat & thus you could run into problems if you land within assault range of anything nasty.
#4 - Your crisis team costs quite a few points more than my melta gun/missile launcher SMs (110 vs 195).

Personally I think if you're going to go the deep-strike route I would stick with the fireknife configuration or maybe a plasma/fusion combo or TL plasma. You really need that extra range and if you land correctly you should be striking at the rear armor of most stuff. I'm thinking what you have is feast or famine: If you land within 6" you're going to have overkill on most vehicles and if you land outside 12" you'll be hanging out there with your ^$%# in the wind. :'(

Or maybe try it out with a lone Shas'o. With his higher BS you can afford to take both the fusion blaster & plasma & then throw in a HW multi-tracker & shield generator. He's got a very good shot at blowing any vehicle he hits with the fusion blaster and as a single unit scatter is less risky (though still a nail biting experience).

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Closed Thread